Sands of Iwo Jima

ken123

Sands of Iwo Jima

Post by ken123 »

Any comments on the Stryker characted, played by John Wayne, or any aspects of this film. To me it is a cliche ridden role and not all that favorable.
ken123

Re: Sands of Iwo Jima

Post by ken123 »

For some reason the Wayne character doesnt seem so bad today.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I saw some of this movie today, Ken, and can remember how reviled Wayne and this particular movie were years ago during the Vietnam War era and its aftermath. I suspect that my perception of the Styker character has changed over the years since I now see John Wayne as a much more subtle actor than I was once aware of and because I can see what an impossible position Sgt. Stryker is in, while suspecting that he had some undiagnosed form of PTSD or what would then be called combat fatigue. He was hard on his men in order to help them survive, but couldn't let his guard down with them completely out of fear of his own nature too. There was a poignant quality to his loneliness that was beautifully conveyed by Wayne in all his titanic gruffness. I thought that Wayne's performance went beyond the gung ho quality of the script, and when his men find the letter to his child, explaining how imperfect he was, I found myself misting up. (I also can't help thinking of all the children who are growing up without their father--and sometimes their mother--absent from their lives because of war today).

I really don't think that ultimately the film is completely pro-war as once believed, but seems more conflicted about the upheaval--psychologically and physically disrupting hope of fulfilling lives, but clinging to the notion that the war might make the world better, even if the characters, such as the woman Wayne picks up in the bar, and Stryker himself, seem to have some serious doubts about that possible outcome. But what the heck, I'm probably getting soft in the head.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ken123

Post by ken123 »

moirafinnie wrote:I saw some of this movie today, Ken, and can remember how reviled Wayne and this particular movie were years ago during the Vietnam War era and its aftermath. I suspect that my perception of the Styker character has changed over the years since I now see John Wayne as a much more subtle actor than I was once aware of and because I can see what an impossible position Sgt. Stryker is in, while suspecting that he had some undiagnosed form of PTSD or what would then be called combat fatigue. He was hard on his men in order to help them survive, but couldn't let his guard down with them completely out of fear of his own nature too. There was a poignant quality of to his loneliness that was beautifully conveyed by Wayne in all his titanic gruffness. I thought that Wayne's performance went beyond the gung ho quality of the script, and when his men find the letter to his child, explaining how imperfect he was, I found myself misting up. (I also can't help thinking of all the children who are growing up without their father--and sometimes their mother not there because of war today).

I really don't think that ultimately the film is completely pro-war as once believed, but seems more conflicted about the upheaval--psychologically and physically disrupting hope of fulfilling lives, but clinging to the notion that the war might make the world better, even if the characters, such as the woman Wayne picks up in the bar, and Stryker himself, seem to have some serious doubts about that possible outcome. But what the heck, I'm probably getting soft in the head.
moira,
Yes I do now believe Wayne gave a subtle & nuisanced perform, back in the day I really disliked this film, now I see it is a very good performance and really a better than average war film. :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

Thanks for putting into words your thoughts about Sands, you have such a way of writing that I stand in awe. I wish I could express myself half as well as you do every day!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese