Where Is Tarzan

Uncle Stevie

Where Is Tarzan

Post by Uncle Stevie »

There seem to be about 32 Tarzan movies made since 1933 including the much later animated ones. Yet I do not see continued discussions about any Tarzan movie. Are they so bad and too distasteful to discuss or maybe we have no Tarzan fans here.

Which is it? Are there any Tarzan lovers on this board and if so which of the movies did you like best and the least? I am planning to increase my collection by adding Tarzan and have none at the moment. So I am looking for guidance, or is it just not worth my time?

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
klondike

Re: Where Is Tarzan

Post by klondike »

Having seen virtually every Tarzan flick made since the talkies came in, and enjoying most of them to some appreciable degree, I'd have to say that the best ones, in my estimation, came from the mid-to-late 60's, starring Jock Mahoney, then Mike Henry, culminating with the mercenary slug-fest that is Tarzan & the Valley of Gold.
But forget Denny Miller & Ron Ely from that era: Denny did fine as a cowboy, or a sea captain, & Ron made a dandy Doc Savage, both both of 'em should stayed away from that loincloth!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I saw some, if not all, the Lex Barker, Gordon Scott, and Jock Mahoney movie versions as a kid. I watched the Ron Ely TV version when it was on. Never cared much for any of them. Why? Because Johnny Weissmuller is (not "was") Tarzan. Those movies became a part of my DNA. One can't go wrong with any of his Tarzan movies.

I don't recall ever seeing the versions with Elmo Lincoln, Bruce Bennett, or Buster Crabbe, but I'd like to.

Admission (you can void my Film Snob card now): My #2 Man of the Jungle -- Brendan Fraser in GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:
Admission (you can void my Film Snob card now): My #2 Man of the Jungle -- Brendan Fraser in GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE.
Don't you worry, Owen; if I were willing to cancel your credentials, I would've done so over your valentine to Herr Weissmuller . . but, after all, to err is human, to forgive is elitist, and ultimately, there's just no accounting for taste. :mrgreen:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love Tarzan and George of the Jungle. But Tarz has to be played by Johnny Weissmuller and George should always be played by Brendan Fraser, (but that's probably not going to happen since Brendan is a little paunchy now and becoming a character actor).
My favorite one is the first of the series, the brisk (99 min.) and beautifully photographed Tarzan the Ape Man (1932), directed by "One Take" Woody Van Dyke and captured on film by cinematographer Harold Rosson, who makes the MGM jungle glisten with beauty. It also has a sense of mystery, less overt racism than later movies, Maureen O'Sullivan's characterization of Jane as a young woman who is relieved to discover her libido, lots of elephants, a minimum of Cheeta, a sulky Neil Hamilton, pygmies, snakes and best of all, dear C. Aubrey Smith as a man destined for the elephant's burial ground.

Sadly, we haven't touched on the wonderful world of Tarz here very much, in part because, after a glorious month some years ago when TCM featured as many movies of the Burroughs character as they could get, they just don't seem to show them much anymore. Personally, I'd much rather see Tarzan movies of all stripes than the Bowery Boys on every Saturday. Or perhaps the Bomba the Elephant Boy movies could be unearthed--they had some charm, are probably not expensive to rent, and I always loved Johnny Sheffield as Boy and as Bomba (though I haven't seen the movies since I was a kid). Of course, the Bomba movies, which were not made by a major studio, could be in less than pristine condition, which would make them difficult to broadcast.

I guess Jock Mahoney was athletic enough as Tarzan, but no one ever seemed to have the same child-like zip that Weissmuller came by naturally in the role. I liked the innocent re-imagined Tarzan played by a properly simian but noble looking Christopher Lambert a great deal in Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984), and wished that had become an ongoing franchise, (but at least he was good in Highlander).

Now. Some important questions: How does everyone feel about Brendan Fraser's Encino Man? Was that not a great movie?? How do you feel about Jungle Jim? I was always bothered as a kid that Johnny Weissmuller donned safari wear and behaved like everyone else (well, almost) instead of remaining a child of nature.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, Stevie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

How do you feel about Jungle Jim?
Oh, how I wanted a pontoon airplane! (That was Jungle Jim, wasn't it?) But I preferred Ramar of the Jungle with Jon Hall and the ubiqitous Ray Montgomery.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I love these comments. Keep them coming - I am trying to learn about all the Tarzans. My memory is not so keen but I do remember Johnny Weismuller the most.

Thanks for all your comments

Here is a site with the Tarzan list:

http://www.tarzanmovieguide.com/tarzan_modern.htm

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Johnny Weissmuller

Janos (Johnny) Weissmuller was born 2 June 1904 in Austria-Hungary (now Romania) and died in Mexico 20 Jan 1984 following a series of strokes.

He later claimed to have been born in Pennsylvania, USA, probably to ensure that he would qualify to represent USA in Olympic Games. He went on to win 5 Olympic gold medals (1924 and 1928, each time setting a new record) , 67 World and 52 National titles.

In his first film (1929) he appeared in only a fig leaf. He was chosen for the role of Tarzan by MGM, who then had to negotiate his release from his contract with BVD, a maker of underwear and swimsuits. He was swapped for female stars who modeled swimsuits.

His first Tarzan film was “Tarzan The Ape Man” was released in 1932 and was an instant success. It is claimed by IMDB that because he was so popular with young girls that MGM paid his wife $10000.00 to divorce him. I find this hard to believe because each time he divorced he remarried almost immediately.

He made 12 Tarzan movies, ( 12 are listed in IMDB, but in another part of IMDB it says he made 20 Tarzan movies), 13 Jungle Jim movies, 3 Johnny Weissmuller movies, (he looked and dressed the same as Jungle Jim), 1 as Adonis, and one as Johnny Duval (Buster Crabbe was also in this movie). He made 26 episodes of Jungle Jim for TV.
I remember Jungle Jim as a big fat man, dressed in a military type uniform, and wearing heavy boots running through the jungle without raising a sweat or getting puffed. It did not matter what form of transport the fugitive(s) used, Jungle Jim always got his man. During the filming of Jungle Jim a weight limit was placed on him and he was fined for being overweight.

In 1974 he broke a hip and a leg. While in hospital he was found to have a serious heart condition. This, in spite of his daily regimen of swimming and exercise.

He married 6 times. His fourth wife, Beryl, gave him 3 children.

[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Fossy wrote:
He married 6 times. His fourth wife, Beryl, gave him 3 children.
Wife Lupe "Spitfire" Velez gave Johnny bruises, hickies and love scratches so long & plentiful that, allegedly, the Tarzan make-up team often spent more time on his back than his front.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

[/quote]
Wife Lupe "Spitfire" Velez gave Johnny bruises, hickies and love scratches so long & plentiful that, allegedly, the Tarzan make-up team often spent more time on his back than his front.[/quote]

Lupe Velez b. 18 July 1908 in Mexico d. 13 Dec 1944

Tragically it was all down hill then for Lupe. She took to a life of drugs and alcohol and sex.
Rather than live with the shame of becoming an unwed mother Lupe decided to suicide. She had everything planned; the pretty silk night gown, and make-up, the position. She knew that picture would make front cover news the next day.
Her suicide note named Austrian actor Harald Maresch as the father. Maresch had refused to marry her. As a result the public blamed Maresch for her death and his career in America was finished. He returned to Austria.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Movies Unlimited has a Tarzan 5 movie set for $4.99 today.
Uncle Stevie

Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I just watched "Tarzan The Fearless" (1933) with Buster Crabbe and "Tarzan's Revenge" (1938) with Glenn Morris. They were both wonderfully staged in what appeared to be real jungle. Both men were tall and very good looking but most impressive was their muscle structure. These guys were both Adonis. They actually had six packs in a day when that was not known. I enjoyed both movies very much. I have three more to watch from that 5 pack I bought from Movies Unlimited for a special deal of $4.99 for the whole pack. One of them is a silent with Elmo Lincoln. No Weissmuler in this group.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am really curious about the Elmo Lincoln - in all the pictures I have seen, he looks like a hulking brute - I would love to know how they handle the story since it was the first filming.

I'm with Moira, I love the first Weissmuller film and the second the best. When Maureen finds her he man who can't talk, I always laugh. It's a beautiful film with a lot of humor and a nice crisp pace. I can't wait for Neil Hamilton to bite the dust each time.

However, I do like Cheeta, and I do like the Bowery Boys.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Tarzan's great! Especially when he's Johnny Weissmuller. ;) And especially when it's Tarzan and His Mate, which I consider a very hot film, and not just because it takes place in the jungle. :)

JackFavell, this one's for you. From Tarzan's Desert Mystery. :)

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha! Let me guess....