Post by stuart.uk »

Moira

I've just found the Robert Powell version of The 39 Steps

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Moira the whole Powell 39 steps movie

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Stuart! I haven't read the John Buchan book "The 39 Steps" in years, but I bet this one is closer to that mystery-adventure story than the more famous version.

I just realized that I haven't seen Robert Powell since Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth, when he looked exactly like the image of Christ painted by Holman Hunt and every other holy card I ever saw. Good actor, too. I am glad he's still working.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I used to go out with a guy who's father swore by the 50s version, I think this one had Kenneth More in it, I never did have the chance to watch it with him although it would have to be excellent to compete with the Hitchcock original.

I'm of the generation that primarily thought of Robert Powell as Jasper Carrot's foil, it was a revelation to discover his earlier work.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

If you watch Yesterday on digital you'll find most of the voice overs on documentaries are by Robert Powell

I firts became aware of him in the first series of Doomwatch where in the final episode he's blown up, unexpectantly by a bomb. Then he played a newspaperman on the up in Looking For Clancy with Keith Drinkle. He was in the Ralph Richardson/Laurence Harvey role in a 70s version of The Four Feathers. He played Jesus and after The Thirty Nine Steps he did a follow up prequel series called Hanney, but IMO it didn't work because it was studio shot, while the movie was big budget