All time great UK war film

stuart.uk

All time great UK war film

Post by stuart.uk »

I know The Way To The Stars isn't to well known in America, but it's a classic WW2 war film. It's just out on you tube. Here's the film with a wonderful performance by Rosamund John

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Re: All time great UK war film

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Stuart! I love Anthony Asquith! I've wanted to see this one for years, maybe I can work my way through the pile of movies I need to watch and get to this one soon.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ANYTHING with John Mills is an instant favorite for me. Downloading this one as we 'speak'. Thanks, Stuart.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

stuart.uk wrote:I know The Way To The Stars isn't to well known in America, but it's a classic WW2 war film. It's just out on you tube. Here's the film with a wonderful performance by Rosamund John
Thank You Stuart ... you've made my day! ... I consider this movie extraordinary made and have so much realism that Anthony Asquith did a marvelous job putting this all together! I the acting, the photography, the sets, and most importantly Asquith did this with class and dignity.

I'm definitely downloading a copy of this and proceed from there!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I'm not sure about the copyright of this film, so it might not be on much longer. Also in the film as Mills love interest is Rene Asherson, Robert Donat's still living widow. However, the romantic scene between Mills and Redgrave's widow John is a highlight in the film
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't watched this yet but I know my hubby is a fan, I'll have to make time.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I'd be interested to hear what folk thought of the film. For example do the American forum members thing the likes of Douglass Montgomery represented the American airmen serving at an R.A.F base well. Do you agree with me that Rosamund John was outstanding in the film. Was Jean Simmons dubbed while singing at a dance, unlike in Guys And Dolls where she used her own voice
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved Michael Redgrave. I felt a little stutter when he left the movie, and the Americans came in, but Douglass Montgomery was actually very good. But to me, it was Rosamund Johns' movie all the way. She was the constant around which everything else revolved. I'm afraid I didn't like the guy who played Joe, though he calmed down a bit after his initial aggressive behavior.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

I loved the scene where John Mills kissed Rosamund John 3 times, once for her on the cheek and twice for Renee Astherson on the lips.

The actor, who played Joe died young in a car accident in the late 50s

The supporting actors were interesting too Joyce Carey as Ashersons aunt. David Tomplinson before he became a Disney star, Trevor Howard and Bill Owen under another name, playing Nobby Clark, nearly 30s yrs before he played his most famous role Compo in Last Of The Summer Wine. Of course Stanley Hollaway.

I hope like me you thought WTTS was a classic that lived up to expectations. Rosamund John is IMO one of the UKs greatest ever actresses, but she retired young to marry a Labour polititian (She mirrored her own life in Fame Is The Spur with Redgrave as her Labour M.P husband) and is now more or less forgotten
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved Nobby, he did look so familiar! I really enjoyed the film. Goodness, is David Tomlinson in everything? and always playing the same part.... I thought for sure he was a goner, he usually dies. :D
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

You might like this. It's the 1st part of a tribute to Bill Owen. The rest of the story is also available

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think I saw the guy who played Joe at the beginning of A Matter of Life and Death last night.

I loved that scene with the three kisses best too. Golly, Rosamund Johns and Renee Asherson were stunners! Joyce Carey is ALWAYS great to watch, she's like Joyce Grenfell to me, I just love to see her turn up in something.

I was hoping this might be that war movie in which the two ladies are drinking tea on the lawn, while planes are bombing overhead. I'll keep looking!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

oh, me oh my!!! The Captive Heart ( I can hear the groans from some of you....) is on YOU TUBE!!!! AND it's a better copy than the DVD I have! Joy! Rapture! Yippee!!!!
2 minutes later.....
BOY! AM I OLD OR WHAT! Moira posted about this in the thread I started :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's great, knitty! I've wanted to see it since you chatted about it so long ago. I thought I found it on netflix, but it was The Astonished Heart, not this one.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert

Just watched the film again and was reminded that one of the films themes was Rosamund John's 'Toddy's relationships with some of the male characters, husband David, who died, Peter and American pilot Johnny and even Johnny's sidekick Joe, whom Toddy didn't get on well in the begining, but bonded with after Johnny's killed in a crash landing
Last edited by stuart.uk on January 14th, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.