Attack!

movieman1957
Administrator

Attack!

Post by movieman1957 »

There is no politics like the politics in war. Everyone has an angle except the poor guy at the bottom of the food chain that is expected to do all the dirty work.

Jack Palance plays a platoon leader who has had it with his Captain and his cowardice. Threats of violence and taking the issue to higher command is met with anything from indifference to butt covering. Palance and his friend, well played by newcomer William Smithers, try to do the right thing no matter the avenue but are rebuffed at every turn. The trouble somebody has something on the line that they don't want to get out or give up.

It's a tough and gritty film. Very good performances all around. Eddie Albert is good as the cowardly, psychotic Captain who would rather let his men get it the run the risk of getting in the way. Lee Marvin plays his superior who is looking out for his standing as long as it doesn't go too far. When it finally does he is there to hold something over someone's head to cover what complicity he had in the whole mess. But others in the platoon, Buddy Ebsen and Robert Strauss and Richard Jaekel are going to make sure it all gets done right. Like I said, everyone has an angle.

It seems a rather realistic film for 1956. I don't wonder if Spielberg was thinking of this one a little when he shot the finale in "Saving Pvt. Ryan."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Re: Attack!

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I would love to see this movie Chris ... I remember watching one time and I vaguely remember it. Was the movie on TCM recently?
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Attack!

Post by movieman1957 »

No. I caught it online at Netflix.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."