THE ENEMY BELOW

mrsl

THE ENEMY BELOW

Post by mrsl »

Although I've seen this movie time and time again, if I can force myself to wait a while, when I do watch it, it seems like the first time as so many of our favorites do. Of course it helps to have Bob Mitchum as the star, but this one never loses it's sense of desperation, and suspense. You know naturally that the American will be fine, but what will happen to the German crew? Mitchum's method of saying volumes with just a couple of words makes the shared cigarettes scene at the end so true that you wish the Captains in charge now could be one quarter of the men those two are, even tho one is the enemy.

If you missed it, try to catch it at the end of the month.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Major Rogers

Re: THE ENEMY BELOW

Post by Major Rogers »

Do you have a specific airdate and time? I love Mitchum and have not seen this. I just searched it on TCM and didn't see an airing.

Watched The Hunters (1958) the last week for the first time and loved it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sadly, Major Rogers, The Enemy Below (1958) was aired on the same night as The Hunters on TCM. It isn't currently on the schedule, but the film is readily available on DVD and may show up on the TCM schedule again. It's worth seeking out since it features excellent performances from Mitchum, Jurgens and Theodore Bikel. It always seemed more realistic than usual as an account of life on and below the sea. Most critics consider it the best directing job of Dick Powell's handful of movies behind the camera.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Major Rogers

Post by Major Rogers »

I thought I remembered seeing it on there. Looks like I neglected to transfer it off the DVR to high capacity disk, asks it got overwritten. Sad.