Shenandoah

ken123

Shenandoah

Post by ken123 »

Shenandoah is a Civil War film starring Jimmy Stewart with Andrew McLaglen Directing in the John Ford style. " John Ford Stock Company Members ", that are in the film include Denver Pyle, Harrey Carey Jr., and Strother Martin. Pyle and Martin were hillarious as a couple of Rebel deserters in Ford's The Horse Soldiers. A tender, moving and very much an anti - war film. It has been one of my favorites for forty years. :)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

That's also a favorite of mine, one of those that I'll pick up in the middle if I catch it on TV. Stewart's prayer at the dinner table is one of my favorite movie moments.

I could do without Doug McClure though.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stewart plays such a great father whether it's for young kids like 'Mr. Hobbs takes a Vacation', 'Take her she's Mine', or 'Dear Brigette', his total lack of knowing what is going on is brilliantly amusing, and as Dad to young adults as in Shenendoah is gripping. It, too, is one that I watch from the middle if necessary, there is so much involved, you can pick up at just about any point.

Anne
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Shenandoah

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

The first time I saw Shenandoah , I cried buckets. My mom was the baby of a family of 18, and if it weren't for a Union Captain who was a mason back in 1865, none of those children would have graced the earth with their presence.

My great-grandmother had just given birth, and the masonic lambskin was placed over her bed, as was the custom at the time in some places. My grandfather was crying and wouldn't be quiet, and my great-grandmother
was lying on the bed nursing him, when a soldier came in and was going to run him through with a bayonet because he wouldn't be quiet, and the Union Captain rushed in, saw the lambskin, and said he was a mason, too, and to get the hell out of this house and leave these people alone.

And I was thinking of that family story the whole time I was watching that movie because I had just heard it a few weeks before.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Christy, what a wonderful story! Thanks for posting that.

I've never seen the film Shenandoah. A friend of mine was in a stage production of it years ago and I did enjoy the musical. I don't remember a connection to the Masons in it...or were you making a reference to the Union soldier? Either way, I need to see this James Stewart film!

Sandy K
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That's a very moving story, Christy!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is a fine movie. Stewart shows quite a range. He's playful, he's funny (especially when he's giving McClure advice about being a husband) but he's all business when he's looking for his son. The pain he experiences through this ordeal seems real enough.

Philip Alford (Jem in "To Kill A Mockingbird") is ok as the boy but Stewart carries the movie and carries it well.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."