Have Gun Will Travel or Wanted: Dead or Alive

knitwit45

Re: Have Gun Will Travel or Wanted: Dead or Alive

Post by knitwit45 »

You know, you're right. I have thought about the off beat ones I've seen, and puzzled over some of them, while I can't tell you the exact plot line of the last Rizzoli & Isles that I watched. I really enjoy that show but sometimes have to turn it off when it gets too scary or too bloody. The HGWT series doesn't always hit a home run, but it's always interesting. :D :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That it is!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:MissG:

You have to go see "HGWT," season 4, an episode titled "Love's Young Dream." It co-stars Ken Curtis. (I found out it is really a sequel to an earlier episode.) He plays a character somewhere between Charlie McCrory and Festus Hagen but you get to hear him sing. He's wonderful. Why he didn't have a career as a singer (if he didn't is beyond me.) It is also very funny.

To answer a question you had somewhere this one not only is in San Francisco but spends about a third of the time in his room and the rest is a club he can get there by walking.

Curtis was one of the original "Sons of the Pioneers" and gets a solo moment in Rio Grande, so I know he had an amazing voice (he also sings nicely in The Searchers in his only really non-comic moment).
I haven't seen that episode of HGWT, yet, but I did see the one set on the "Barbary Coast" section of SF last week. That makes two, then, in the city by the Bay.

I loved the one on Friday, with Robert Emhardt (great actor). It was so twisty and psychological it was worthy of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". And like Jackie says, I love the off-beat tone
of some of the episodes, that seem to be homages to Rod Serling or other genres and plot ideas not generally associated with the west...and yet they remain credible.

One of the most odd was the one about the puppet master who seeks revenge on a "Wild Bill" sort of character with a dark secret. Anything with puppets is automatically
a wild card with me, so I had no idea what to expect. But it was great and in the end, I was horribly moved for the puppet master. He had been through heck and it drove
him mad. There's even a Shakespearean flavor about such episodes.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I posted this link over in the Ben Johnson thread, but I'll post it here too. Steve Bowie at his TV Classic History Blog has a great write-up of the "Head of Hair" episode from Have Gun, Will Travel... and then moves on to other shows in his post, but it does start out with HGWT.

http://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2 ... e-innings/
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Just caught all of "Genesis" from "HGWT." (It seems rather soon to have come up in the rotation again.) I was surprised to find that William Conrad directed as well as had a role in it. Kudos for a first rate fight scene at the start.

The only real thing that made me think is that while Paladin spent some time fumbling around with his gun he was a real good shot. Maybe that is all the Army required.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:I was surprised to find that William Conrad directed as well as had a role in it.
Me, too, first time I caught it, especially considering that Conrad was the first Marshal Dillon, back when "Gunsmoke" was a radio show!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

William Conrad was also the director/star of "The Man who Struck Moonshine" episode.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yay! Season Five, Volume One of "Have Gun Will Travel" is coming to DVD:

http://www.classicflix.com/have-will-tr ... 10360.html

I was getting a little nervous in case they had stalled on plans to release more of the show.

Now to just find the money.
:D
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Woo hoo! That should include Ben Johnson's second guest appearance on the show, in episode 7, "The Race."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Just a note to anyone interested. I saw a DVD for $5.00 at K Mart of the first season of Wanted: Dead or Alive yesterday. Looked like a good copy. The cheap ones often have gritty pictures, but this is clear and neat looking.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Had the last first season disc from "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and got to see Arthur Hunnicutt and Edgar Buchanan play two families caught in a feud. Buchanan's wife, the only one of the two shown, mentioned she and the other wife had talked about it and were content to let them kill each other. At least the feud would end. It was a treat to watch them both.

One odd thing as the disc had the last six episodes is that John Dehner and Michael Pate were in two of them and one together. Both times playing different characters. It seemed odd that they would be in two that close together never mind in one season. However, there were 38 episodes.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's by far the best episode I've seen, movieman. It's a joy to watch Hunnicutt and Buchanan do their stuff.

John Dehner must have been the hardest working actor on TV, he was in everything.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Dehner was. In the last month of my Netflix listings he has played in two early "Gunsmoke" episodes and one of "Combat" where he played an old French general from WWI. He's everywhere.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

If i don't see john dehner, ray teal or dabbs greer in half a dozen shows i start to feel something is missing. :D
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yup, ol' JD sure racked up the pay vouchers; I'd bet hard money he played 5 or 6 different characters on as many eps of "The Rifleman"; a wonder he found time to co-star with George C. Scott in Day of the Dolphin - or that he had a bit part as a state trooper getting barked at by Sydney Greenstreet in Christmas in Connecticut.
I liked your list, April; I'd only fatten it a mite by adding Royal Dano, James Gregory & Leo Gordon.