Gene or Roy, the battle of the singing cowpokes

cinemalover

Gene or Roy, the battle of the singing cowpokes

Post by cinemalover »

Gene Autry or Roy Rogers. These two singing cowboys had very comparable careers. But, just like potato chips, everyone has a favorite. I grew up enjoying Roy more, and I'm not sure why. My Mom used to have some Roy Rogers 45s around the house, so that may have had an influence. But in the last few years I've been able to appreciate more of Gene's work thanks to the Western Channel. They have restored 89 of his 93 feature credits and all the episodes of his television show (91). These two were western icons through the 40s and 50s (and beyond), did either of them spark particular interest in you?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
vallo

Post by vallo »

I agree , I enjoy Roy Rogers. it might be because he was on TV when I was a kid. Gene Autry however was a little before my time. I do like him now, seeing some of his films on the Encore Western Channel.

You can't go wrong watching Dale Evans either :)

vallo
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

vallo,
You may have hit on something. Roy did have Dale in most of his pictures which added to the chemistry and consistency of his movies. Gene had a variety of female leads opposite him. Gene used several different side-kicks too. His most frequent side-kick (and best) was Smiley Burnette. But when he had others, especially Pat Buttram, the quality and my level of interest showed a decided drop. Roy often had Gabby Hayes, and that's a winning combination.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I vote for Roy. First, because as mentioned, his films were a lot better than Autry's. Also, Roy's a better yodeler, and I like Western yodeling.

Second, I have a lifelong anomosity towards Autry because he embarrassed me at a rodeo show at Madison Square Garden when I was a very little kid in the audience. He may have thought it was cute and just a minor thing, but I was mortified, and I've never forgiven him.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

As a kid and as an adult I didn't care for either of them. In the pass year I have seen of number's of Gene Autry films on Encore Western, and I do find that they do have a certain charm, and I have also liked " Frog ". So I vote for Gene Autry. :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd have to go with Roy Rogers, (though more for the emoting of Trigger and Bullet than the singing, though he was a fine one). I actually blush to admit that I sort of prefer the singing of Dick Foran among all the sagebrush singers from that period. :oops:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I like Roy because of Dale, his singing, and Trigger is a prettier horse. But I like Gene because Champion does more, and Gene seemed a little egotistical, but I prefer his sidekicks.

The ones I really love are The 'Three Mesquiteers'. I love the intermingling of Old West and 20th century inventions.

Anne