Cattle Empire

stuart.uk

Cattle Empire

Post by stuart.uk »

I admit I didn't watch much of this film Cattle Empire with Joel Mcrae. I've noticed that in the 50s both Joel and Randolph Scott played oppisite much younger actresses like Dorothy Malone, Barbara Hale and Karen Steele. However, I was a little surprised to find his leading lady in the film was Gloria Talbott. To be fair she looked good as a tomboy heroine, but the role I most associate with Gloria was as Kay, Jane Wyman's college daughter in All That Heaven Allows, so maybe I'm being a little unfair regarding the age difference
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Cattle Empire

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Stuart,
I've never seen Cattle Empire, but if it's Joel McCrea in the '50s, it might be worth a look--I usually enjoy McCrea in everything. The man made dullness endearing and other times he was quite a subtle actor.

Gloria Talbott, who will always be that snippy pseudo-intellectual in All That Heaven Allows to me, too. She seemed to be in a ton of movies and tv in that decade, though she began as an uncredited child actress in movies like Maytime (1937) and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945). For awhile I thought that she was in every third episode of Perry Mason, and later realized that she was in a gazillion monster movies and only recently realized how many Westerns (more tv than movies) she appeared in. I know what you mean about her tomboyish tendencies, but she could be quite feminine as well. We had quite a lengthy thread going awhile back celebrating her work in the fifties time capsule of sexist attitudes in I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) found here.

You can see more about her here on Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen and on IMDb too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks