Drango

mrsl

Drango

Post by mrsl »

Drango - 1957
This one kind of surprised me. I expected another low budget 'B' movie, and I guess it was a 'B' from the back lots of MGM. but it was a pretty good story involving people, attitudes and feelings after the Civil War.

A Union Major rides into a Southern town shortly after the Civil War to help rebuild, but nobody wants any part of him, or his help. Even after robberies, food is stolen, the town doctor is shot and left to die, and the newspaper office is set on fire and a little boy dies in the fire, the townsfolk still fight him, although by now he has one or two converts. Now, what we know, but he doesn't, is that all of this is caused by one guy who want to start the war up again. Through it all, Jeff Chandler keeps his tough guy, stalwart chin up and also finds time to romance - guess who - Joanne Dru, who goes a whole lot better with grey haired Jeff than she did with cutey Ben Johnson. It's a good film with help from John Lupton as Jeffs' Captain, and Milburn Stone (Gunsmoke Doc Adams), as his commanding officer threatening to transfer him if he doesn't get results quickly. One other thing, only we know, is that Jeff was assigned to the division of General Shermans' who was in charge of burning and looting during the war, and through the whole film, Jeff wonders if anyone is going to recognize him.

Just as a side note, during the opening credits I saw "Introducing Ron Howard". Now, I know that it couldn't be Ronnie from Mayberry, he was barely a gleam in his daddy's eye yet in 1957. Then it dawned on me and I looked it up, it was Leslie Howards' little boy, all grown up. And of course, Ron is the bad guy, but his right hand man in thwarting Jeff was Kurt's Dad, Bing Russell. This has always been a game I've played since I was about 15. I would read the credits to see who had little parts, but turned out to be big stars, and now it's to see second and sometimes, third generation actors. If you see it coming on, try it, you may like it.

Mustang

Just as I was happily surprised at Drango, :P I have to say I was terribly unhappy with Mustang. :cry:

Just as I consider Ride the High Country an 'A' movie, and most of Gene Autry's movies as 'B' movies. I could call Drango a C+ and when I get to Mustang . . . well, maybe a s, or a t. This is probably one of the very worst acted, photographed, directed, and produced movie ever made. Don't even bother checking it out.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Drango

Post by moira finnie »

We discussed Drango briefly awhile back here too, which you might enjoy reading. I agree that even though it was made with really low production values, the story and some of the acting was really surprisingly good, (and some was less so :wink: ):
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3618&p=54031&hilit=drango#p54031
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: Drango

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:Now, I know that it couldn't be Ronnie from Mayberry, he was barely a gleam in his daddy's eye yet in 1957. Then it dawned on me and I looked it up, it was Leslie Howards' little boy, all grown up.
Yes & no, Anne.
Though little "Mayberry" Ronnie wasn't the adult actor with that name in Drango, having been born March 1, 1954, he definitely was three+ years past "gleam"-size by the time it was released in '57!