A Ticket to Tomahawk

mrsl

A Ticket to Tomahawk

Post by mrsl »

I never really connected musical/comedy to a western, but when I think about it seriously, I realize there were a few like Oklahoma, The Harvey Girls and Destry (if you want to include Marlene Dietriech and her gutteral . . . Back Room Tonight.)

This one starred Dan Dailey and Ann Baxter with Rory Calhoun. I never realized how often Rory played a bad guy before, but I guess he started out that way. Anyway, this train will get a regular route approval between Tomahawk and another little town if they deliver just one passenger to Tomahawk by noon on a certain day. Dailey is the passenger, and Ann Baxter is the temporary deputy in charge of getting him there safely, but Rory is the one trying to gum up the works so naturally he plays up to Annie. The whole movie is played tongue in cheek with Dan seeing right through Rory and cutting him down with most of his lines, the Indians are in full regalia with feathers, buckskin fringed outfits, and painted faces and bodies. Ann is a real dead eye dick with a gun, fast draw, and always ready to use it first and ask questions later. So, through all kinds of perils, bridges exploding, Indians attacking, etc. the train forges on. It even looks like The Little Engine that Could, if you recall it from your childhood, or read it lately to a child or grandchild. But even before the train starts, they take on extra people traveling with them, in wagons, including a lady and her four singing and dancing 'girls'. Boy, the blond looked so familiar, I backed up 3 times to get a clear picture of her face, and yep, it was a very young, very early, fresh faced Marilyn Monroe, singing and dancing with the 3 other girls, one of which may be the infamous lady from Meet Me in St. Louis, also wearing blue here. None of them were in the credits, but I looked it up in the full cast and crew on imdB, and there was MM. I love seeing little details like that! This is a cute one. No award winner, or even close to nomination, but fun in it's own little way, and a good one to watch while you relax after holiday shopping, or during wrapping gifts.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Re: A Ticket to Tomahawk

Post by knitwit45 »

What channel, Anne? I really love spotting my mysterious blue lady! Did the credits list only MM as one of the 'girls' or did it list them all?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm sorry knitty, I should have said the Encore Western channel. None of them was listed in imdB except as 'uncredited'. And that was by clicking on the 'more cast and crew'. They were not even mentioned in the first page cast.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

There's an excellent picture of Dan Dailey with "the girls", MM is quite prominent, but the mystery lady is not one of the other ones. Oh, well, the search continues. Thanks, Anne, for sharing.