The Lone Ranger

mrsl

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by mrsl »

Jack Favell:

My dear friend, in relation to your claim of not being a western fan, let me point out something that attracts me about the westerns made from the 40's through the 70's. Actually it's similar to my love of sci-fi of the same era. They are all very blood-less. Yes, the bad guys get killed, but you don't see the arms come flying off, or the bullet smashing out an eye and leaving only a gaping hole. Also, although it is quite obvious what line of work the saloon girls are in besides getting the men to buy drinks, you didn't see them off the saloon floor except walking down the street. In those westerns the good guys always won, and the bad guys ended up in jail or being hanged (which you also did not see the details depicted), leaving you with a good feeling when you turned off the TV, not feeling guilty that you have a decent home, and food to eat which you worked for all week. Also, if you have small kids or grandkids visiting and you're in the middle of a B&W western, you don't have to worry if the kids come strolling in - there's nothing coming on screen that they shouldn't see. Finally in ALL of the half hour, one hour TV shows, and the one and one half hour movies, you get a complete unit. Usually you have a back story on the hero, you see him meeting his lady co-star, and you watch him catch the bad guys, and in between you see action and adventure with trick horse riding, and choreographed barroom fights. And when the lady star is the saloon owner, you see the closeness between her and the sheriff/marshall, whatever. In these, it's not necessary to see what they do after the lights are out, the acting is good enough to make you feel the chemistry.

If you have METV, try a couple of Bonanzas, and Gunsmokes and see if they don't strike something in your fancy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Anne, I have been trying to get into the TV shows a little more lately, but my daughter gets home from school just about the time that Bonanza and such are on in the afternoon. I get sidetracked, and only end up watching a little of that show before having to make a snack or go out to get some lined paper which she forgot to pick up when we were school shopping. I'm sure you understand, having brought up your own kids. :D

I like it very much when the focus of the stories is usually not really about shooting em up or sex as much as some deeper plot ideas. THAT's what I like about the old TV shows best. Nowadays, even new shows all seem the same because they aren't really about anything at all except will the main characters hook up. No wonder we have such a short attention span nowadays...nothing is going on of any interest, although the cable shows seem to show a little originality.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Saw it. Hated it.

I heard Clayton Moore is a tornado in his grave over it!
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Nothing about the remake interests me. It's one of those movies they'd have pay me to see!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm with you guys!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'll go one bold step further: Another nail in Johnny Depp's career coffin, following that other redo misfire "Dark Shadows".
Wayoutwest

Post by Wayoutwest »

I couldn't agree with all of you more--wouldn't see the new Ranger if you paid me. Disney seems to have lost the depth of the Ranger legend--from a radio show in the early 30's that stretches all the way to today. His mask is in the Smithsonian--thats how much the Ranger is a part of America. I'll stick with the TV episodes and the 2 movies from the 50's. Yay for "our Ranger"! :D
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:I'll go one bold step further: Another nail in Johnny Depp's career coffin, following that other redo misfire "Dark Shadows".
I saw this movie too ... and I agree with you 100% and I was very disappointed in it.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

On the day Johnny Depp's Lone Ranger came out I watched the original Clayton Moore Lone Ranger film on YouTube instead. It held up very well for me. The Lone Ranger was one of my heroes growing up, and I was irritated to see the new film was going to be self parody and mock the entire concept. I won't see it.
Wayoutwest

Post by Wayoutwest »

I don't want to go "off thread" or breach protocol, so as a newbie I'll ask: Since the Lone Ranger & Clayton Moore are so closely intertwined (Mr. Moore is, after all, the only person on the Hollywood Walk of Fame whose star contains both his name and the name of his character), can we chat about Mr. Moore's other western works further in this thread? And would there be anyone out there interested in doing so anyway?
Last edited by Wayoutwest on September 18th, 2013, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Don't want to veer off topic here - perhaps this is fodder for another folder - but I can't think of any other performer who has gambled with his career through esoteric project choices than Johnny Depp. I wrote a bio on him - don't know him personally, though a friend of his with whom I am in contact told me that Johnny did read my book and apparently liked it - and while researching Johnny found myself wondering how did he ever reach the megastar status with some of the choices he made. He turned down choice roles in films like TITANIC to appear in art house movies that made little impact at the box office, yet even with these flops his career continued its upward momentum. Certainly Jack Sparrow came to the rescue but still these megahits were counterbalanced with those pix hardly anyone went to see: THE LIBERTINE, for example. Sadly he's had two major misfires in a row: and both big-budgeted affairs, so it will be interesting to see what happens from here. He's mentioned retiring from movies but I can't see that happening if Tim Burton or Jim Jarmusch presents him with a project that appeals to his eccentric artistic sensibilities.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I am not a fan of Depp probably because I have never cared for any of his movies. I think if he can segue into character roles as an older man, I'm sure I could appreciate him more. But the idea of regarding him as a straightforward leading man is out of the question for me...especially after seeing his long, dirty fingernails in Chocolat! I am entirely too superficial about my movie star preferences to tolerate such a thing! :D

P.S. I want to add that ironically, I had no problem with Depp as Tonto in The Lone Ranger...though the character did not have any depth as he was played more as a freak than anything else. It was the main character and the movie's approach that made it a total misfire for me.
-- Will Rogers
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Good point, MissGoddess. I would have to agree that Depp, to some, is an acquired taste. Have found in my experience that he is either loved or hated. My major gripe with his appearance as Tonto was that damned crow sitting atop his head. Kept reminding me of that champagne bucket Brando wore on his head in that miserable DR. MOREAU remake. And, yes, once more a la Klinton Spilsbury, the character of The Lone Ranger was improperly (and here I'm being polite) presented.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

the 2 movies from the 50's.

I saw one of those films when I was real, REAL young! It was one of the first movies I ever saw.

He turned down choice roles in films like TITANIC to appear in art house movies that made little impact at the box office

To be fair, that speaks well of an actor. I realize, Western Guy, you're not condemning him for that. Rather wondering how his career continued to grow. But choosing a "Gilbert Grape" or a "Fear and Loathing" over a blockbuster reflects some integrity. Pity he didn't blow off the Pirate series as well!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

-- Will Rogers