The Lone Ranger

ChiO

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by ChiO »

Remember Johnny's previous Western DEAD MAN?
Absolutely! Though I would call it Jim Jarmusch's DEAD MAN. One of my ten or fifteen favorite Westerns.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Anything with Mitchum is worth seeing. Interesting film but by no means what one could call a traditional Western. But then neither were Spaghetti Westerns.

From what I'm hearing and reading, Johnny seems to be taking a lot of the heat for the apparent failure of THE LONE RANGER. One of our local radio talk shows is taking major pot shots at Johnny and his rendition of Tonto. Callers generally seem to be in agreement.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

DEAD MAN is a quirky and interesting movie by the unpredictable Jim Jarmusch. Mitchum is a scene stealer as always. I'm proud to have traded comic books with Johnny Depp's older brother in our youth. Never met "The Baby"!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Nor have I met Depp, although when I was in Vegas some years back I met a gal who used to work at The Viper Room and knew Johnny quite well. She gave him a copy of the Depp bio I penned (well, at least she said she did), and while I never heard direct from Johnny she told me he enjoyed the book.

R.R. - Yes, unpredictable certainly sums up Jarmusch's work. But, hey, he even made an appearance on "The Simpsons".
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I haven't seen The Lone Ranger as of yet, and I won't see it until it comes on HBO, if even at that time. I have, however, seen a few different trailers for it, and to begin with, I'm used to Tonto being accepted as the rangers friend, but with that face painting job he has on, I doubt if any welcoming committee would be very receptive to him. Also even from the little bit I've seen, I already know that some, if not a lot, of CGI is used. Why couldn't they just film a GOOD western introducing the story of how the two men met, and how they became fighters of good against evil? The story of the lone ranger is filled with opportunities to add comedic adventures as well as serious ones. The catching and taming of Silver and the reason for the mask alone would give a movie at least 45 minutes of interesting filming. Doesn't anyone today believe in "Less is More", any more? I would so love to see a movie made that just simply tells a good story and lets the actors act once in a while.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I haven't seen it yet, either, and debating if I'm going to or wait 'til it shows up on DVD or Pay-TV. It just doesn't excite me as I had hoped it would when first announced.

Boy, do I agree with you about just telling a good, entertaining story without all these ridiculous embellishments and unbelievable superman-type heroics. Getting more difficult to find films like that anymore. Reason number 1,285 while I prefer TCM.

Also side with you about that awful face-painting, Anne. Another thing I find jarring is that in the trailer and the stills I've seen, Tonto walks around with a raven or some other black bird on his head. Keeps reminding me of Marlon Brando and that champagne bucket he wore on his head in that last horrible remake of ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU.

Yes, we know that Tonto is one with nature . . . but ain't that overdoing the message?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Reason number 1,285 while I prefer TCM.

I thought this was number 1,109. I'll check the record!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You may be right, R.R. My math ain't what it used to be. :roll:
Wayoutwest

Post by Wayoutwest »

Happy birthday to Clayton Moore who IMHO was the real Lone Ranger (and "King of the Serials"). Sept. 14, 1914 - Dec. 28, 1999--he would have been 99 today. Thanks for the hours of wholesome entertainment that have stretched all the way from my childhood in the 50's through today. Tai, Kimo Sabe!
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Clayton Moore was a true star, a gentleman, and will always be The Lone Ranger. He took his job seriously, especially when meeting younger fans. There will never be another like him. My only regret about him is that he wasn't known without his mask, the man was gorgeous! Happy Birthday, Mr. Moore.
Wayoutwest

Post by Wayoutwest »

JackFavell wrote:Clayton Moore was a true star, a gentleman, and will always be The Lone Ranger. He took his job seriously, especially when meeting younger fans. There will never be another like him. My only regret about him is that he wasn't known without his mask, the man was gorgeous! Happy Birthday, Mr. Moore.
I agree wholeheartedly, Wendy ( it is Wendy, isn't it? Hope I got it right from over on the "Candids" board!). Here's a pic of him from the "Ghost of Zorro" serial, ready to don that mask. He credits that role with one of the main factors for making him the top choice for TLR.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 12064 times
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

He was Wendy, and I met him once in Los Angeles during the 60's when my family went down to visit Disneyland for a week - and he treated his fans with generosity and goodwill. Unfortunately, I did not get his autograph and he wore his traditional Lone Ranger Outfit and I was in awe seeing him too. An added bonus - I even saw Jay Silverheels as Tonto too ... and he was also a great trooper too.

Lone Ranger - Clayton Moore a true gentlemen and a class act too.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It is Wendy, Wayoutwest! You got it right.

I love your screen name btw! Chris and I are big fans of Stan and Ollie. Unless of course you are a westerns fan...in which case we are big fans of those too!

It's wonderful Erik that you got to meet Clayton Moore. I've read a little bit about him and I would have loved to have met him.
Wayoutwest

Post by Wayoutwest »

JackFavell wrote:It is Wendy, Wayoutwest! You got it right.

I love your screen name btw! Chris and I are big fans of Stan and Ollie. Unless of course you are a westerns fan...in which case we are big fans of those too!

It's wonderful Erik that you got to meet Clayton Moore. I've read a little bit about him and I would have loved to have met him.
Yup, a westerns fan. But a fan of S&O too! Since I'm way out here in CA and a fan of westerns, the moniker just seemed right :wink:
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
Wayoutwest

Post by Wayoutwest »

Rita Hayworth wrote:He was Wendy, and I met him once in Los Angeles during the 60's when my family went down to visit Disneyland for a week - and he treated his fans with generosity and goodwill. Unfortunately, I did not get his autograph and he wore his traditional Lone Ranger Outfit and I was in awe seeing him too. An added bonus - I even saw Jay Silverheels as Tonto too ... and he was also a great trooper too.

Lone Ranger - Clayton Moore a true gentlemen and a class act too.
You're one lucky buckaroo, Erik!
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]