The Lone Ranger

pvitari

The Lone Ranger

Post by pvitari »

Hi ho Silver! A remake of The Lone Ranger is on the way. Johnny Depp has been attached for some time to play Tonto, and Armie Hammer (the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network) has just been confirmed to play the Lone Ranger.

Hammer is only 25 and Depp is going to turn 48 in June, so I guess this is going to be a story about a veteran, experienced Tonto as mentor to a youthful Lone Ranger. Which kind of fits in with Depp's statements about playing Tonto, for instance:

"I always felt Native Americans were badly portrayed in Hollywood films over the decades. It’s a real opportunity for me to give a salute to them. Tonto was a sidekick in all the Lone Ranger series. [This film] is a very different approach to that partnership. And a funny one I think."

Director Gore Verbinski has also stated that this version of the story will be from Tonto's point of view -- he's the main character.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Rita Hayworth »

pvitari wrote:Hi ho Silver! A remake of The Lone Ranger is on the way. Johnny Depp has been attached for some time to play Tonto, and Armie Hammer (the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network) has just been confirmed to play the Lone Ranger.

Which kind of fits in with Depp's statements about playing Tonto, for instance:

"I always felt Native Americans were badly portrayed in Hollywood films over the decades. It’s a real opportunity for me to give a salute to them. Tonto was a sidekick in all the Lone Ranger series. [This film] is a very different approach to that partnership. And a funny one I think."

Director Gore Verbinski has also stated that this version of the story will be from Tonto's point of view -- he's the main character.
This is going to be interesting film to watch. I'm intrigued. Johnny Depp as Tonto! What an interesting concept! He can definitely can pull it off.
klondike

Post by klondike »

In 2011, what conceivable reason could justify casting an actor to play a character clearly not his own race?
There are many capable, proven, recognizable Native American, First Nation Canadian, and Mexican Native National screen actors who could portray this magnificent, well-known character, correctly & intelligently, like the Amerind performers in The Last of the Mohicans, Wind Talkers, The Missing, Dances With Wolves, Geronimo, Pow Wow Highway, Frozen River . . . even in 1948's Key Largo.
What's next, Vincent D'Onofrio as Jim in a remake of Huckleberry Finn - he's got all that curly hair . . or Colin Farrell as Benito Juarez - he's short, with dark hair & eyes, right?
I truly hope the dynamic, intellectual, passionate, versatile Mr. Depp isn't really considering playing this part, which ultimately will render him looking as dignified as poor Joel Grey when he starred as Fred Ward's Korean sensei in Remo Williams.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm curious who you would cast as Tonto?

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I was wondering why not a native American. However, I love the idea of Tonto being the main character, and I like Depp, who seems to have a sensitivity about people who are marginalized. I also love The Lone Ranger.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Klondike, Depp is beyond the "considering" stage, he's been attached to the project for a couple of years now. He does have some Native American heritage thought it's fairly far back -- his great-grandmother. That said, I don't think he looks Indian at all, despite the nice cheekbones. :) He's not my idea of Tonto, I have to admit and I wish they would have done a comprehensive search for an actor who is the genuine article.

But I think this is a case of where money (and high concept) trump authenticity. "Johnny Depp as Tonto!" Not that the kids today know who Tonto is, but Depp has a built-in fanbase.

Based on good looks alone, I vote for Gil Birmingham as Tonto. :) He was good in a few TV episodes I've seen him in, although his main claim to fame apparently is the Twilight movies. I saw the first one, and that was quite enough of those for me... but he was OK in that too. :) Who knows how he'd come off in a real starring role that gave him a chance to shine.

Last edited by pvitari on May 18th, 2011, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Regarding my thoughts about Johnny Depp playing Tonto ...

I originally said "Intriguing" and made some other comments as well ... bear with me ... I'm rambling a bit ...

More I think about it ... I don't think it would be a wise decision to hire the star of the Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Series as Tonto because I'm having second thoughts about this. I think it would better if they find someone else to play the part. I think Johnny Depp (I do like him) would not be the best choice ... to me its kinda awkward seeing him playing a role of an Indian in this movie that has a wonderful history of film and television.

I really do not know many Hollywood Actors (that are either Mexican, Indian, nor Hispanic) currently working now to play the part of this legendary character of western lore. To be honest here ... I just can't think of one period.

I do love to see a Lone Ranger re-make but having Johnny Depp to playing Tonto would not be a wise decision and I feel really bad posting a 2nd post on this thread and making that original thought "intriguing" in the first place that Johnny Depp would make a good Tonto.

Right now ... I'm saying no to Johnny Depp as Tonto :!:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to add my outrage to Klondikes. In 2011 they cannot find an American Indian actor????? Are they looking in China? What about the 15 or 20 from the TV series Comanche Moon? What about my choice - Adam Beach, 39 years old - Pefect. What about David Midthunder? My second choice. Of course my favorite has always been August Schellenberg, but he is a little old now. It seems like Hollywood wears blinders when looking for an unusual character. As someone said, Depp has his pirate character, give a real Indian a chance to show something. There's another guy who's half Mexican - Sal Lopez, I don't know much about him, but I wonder if any of these guys were even considered. I guess I feel like the viewers did when they learned that Katherine Hepburn was going to star as a Chinese woman, although she did a fabulous job, at the time, there were not that many female Chinese actresses to choose from.

Anyway, this really rocks my boat :!: :!: :!:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:.
What about my choice - Adam Beach, 39 years old - Pefect.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

But hey, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way - maybe it's all one big, fun, new trend . . how about Jackie Chan as Captain Nathan Brittles in a remake of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon ? . . Or how about a prequel to Gone With The Wind, featuring Jamie Fox as Rhett Butler - oh, fiddle-dee-dee, Georgia might not be ready for that one yet . . better idea, we'll make nice in Miss'ssippi with Keanu Reeves as the new Virgil Tibbs ("I am a police officer, Dude!")
Ahhh, me . . . well, I guess any culture that could accept Chuck Connors as a renegade Apache, or Donna Reed as a valiant Shoshone guide, deserves whatever tunnel vision they are willing to buy tickets for . . .
I had just hoped we'd all matured a little more , at least on the subject of racial recognition . . .
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

klondike wrote:
mrsl wrote:.
What about my choice - Adam Beach, 39 years old - Pefect.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
MRSL & KLONDIKE,

Adam Beach would be fantastic choice to play Tonto; the star of "Windtalkers". Why I did not think of him in the first place.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

On the Encore Western channel, in one of the short 'in-between' movies bits, an Oklahoma, Wyoming, ??? resident talks about how John Ford used his tribe as the extras in his movies and how great it was in hard times to earn $50.00 a day doing what they used to do as kids - riding, shooting arrows, etc. Obviously at one time real American Indians were used in movies, so when did that practice stop?

Sessue Hayakawa was always the Colonel or General of ANY Asian army, so I wonder why it wasn't equally necessary to keep the identity or background of an Indian authentic. I don't see why Depp isn't just the lone ranger?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I know this thread is about the show but with the movie having opened the producers and maybe the industry is already in a snit over the opening night's receipts.

According to "Box Office Report" they pulled in $2,000,000 on opening night. That projects to about $70,000,000 expected receipts. The film took $250,000,000 to make.

Now, I have only seen the trailer but it seems in true Bruckheimer fashion that the first thing that comes to mind is "overkill." A western, if they were serious about making a true one, should not need that kind of a budget. I like to support westerns when I can but if we get Tonto as his pirate character then it will be for me a sad thing.

Should any film have a $250,000,000 budget?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I have little interest in a movie that exists solely to feature a big star as Tonto. I may be wrong about that, but that's my impression.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:I have little interest in a movie that exists solely to feature a big star as Tonto. I may be wrong about that, but that's my impression.
I think you are right Red River and I for one, my interest in this movie went for intrigued to potentially not so intrigued ... I just now having second thoughts about this movie and I haven't made my mind up whether to see it or not.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

movieman1957 wrote:
Should any film have a $250,000,000 budget?
Wasn't that just Depp's salary? :lol:
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, looks as if the film is gonna be one of the big flops of the summer:

Disney’s ultra-expensive western The Lone Ranger stumbled out of the gate on Wednesday, wrangling a terrible $9.7 million, which puts it on pace for a five-day debut in the $45-50 million range. The film, which stars Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer, cost at least $225 million to produce and could cause a major financial blow to the studio since westerns rarely play well outside of the United States.

This admittedly troubles me as I was hoping that it might revive the Western genre. Reckon it was just the wrong choice. Maybe a bit too eccentric for Western purists. Remember Johnny's previous Western DEAD MAN?