The Lone Ranger

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

User avatar
knitwit45
Posts: 4720
Joined: May 4th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Location: Gardner, KS

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:It is Wendy, Wayoutwest! You got it right.

Image

I love your screen name btw! Chris and I are big fans of Stan and Ollie. Unless of course you are a westerns fan...in which case we are big fans of those too!

It's wonderful Erik that you got to meet Clayton Moore. I've read a little bit about him and I would have loved to have met him.
Oh, Jacks, this has to be my favorite movie clip of the boys....EVER!!!! I could look at it all day (but I have to get ready for Foyles War...I'll return to it on Monday!!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by JackFavell »

Glad to have you aboard here, Wayoutwest.

Do you have any favorite westerns, besides of course, The Lone Ranger?
User avatar
Rita Hayworth
Posts: 10098
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Wayoutwest wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:He was Wendy, and I met him once in Los Angeles during the 60's when my family went down to visit Disneyland for a week - and he treated his fans with generosity and goodwill. Unfortunately, I did not get his autograph and he wore his traditional Lone Ranger Outfit and I was in awe seeing him too. An added bonus - I even saw Jay Silverheels as Tonto too ... and he was also a great trooper too.

Lone Ranger - Clayton Moore a true gentlemen and a class act too.
You're one lucky buckaroo, Erik!

Thank you very much Wayoutwest! :)
User avatar
Rita Hayworth
Posts: 10098
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Wendy for the kind words and all ...
User avatar
Wayoutwest
Posts: 47
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 11:10 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Wayoutwest »

JackFavell wrote:Glad to have you aboard here, Wayoutwest.

Do you have any favorite westerns, besides of course, The Lone Ranger?
Shoot, that's like asking if I have a favorite food--almost too many to name :D If we're talkin' TV shows, they would include Maverick, Rawhide, Wyatt Earp (Hugh O'Brien's version), Cheyenne, Zorro, The Rifleman...need I go on?

As far as movies, I tend to prefer those from the 40's & 50's; from the era before things got terribly gritty and graphic. Faves would be anything with Joel McCrea (Ride the High Country was my least favorite; what woman wants to watch Joel McCrea die?! :roll: ); Stagecoach, The Searchers, High Noon...again, on & on.

How 'bout you? Would love to hear your picks!

Susan (aka w.o.w.)
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
RedRiver
Posts: 4209
Joined: July 28th, 2011, 9:42 am

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by RedRiver »

I saw a sitcom where a guy's necktie fell way short of his waist. His wife said, "That tie's not getting it done. Unless you're Oliver Hardy!"

Of all the things to like about Mr. Clayton Moore, it's that perfectly toned voice that gets to me. I don't think I've ever heard one so appealing. As for never seeing his face, it's interesting the way the show handled that. The Ranger often donned a disguise. But it was always something that obscured his real features. A grizzly bearded man, a big moustache and glasses. And you never saw him "between looks." He'd have his back to the audience as he put on the finishing touches. Then he'd turn around and say, in character, "Well, Tonto, it's time we looked in on..." You get the picture! Kind of clever, when you think of it.
User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by JackFavell »

Red, I always liked that too, the clever way they always kept us from seeing him.

And talk about two absolutely fantastic voices, he and Jay Silverheels were evenly matched in that.

Susan, that's a great list of shows and movies.

I'm fairly new to westerns, I've only been serious about watching them for a few years. TV westerns I'm completely clueless about except for Maverick and Palladin! For movies, I have always liked The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, even when I was a kid. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say "I don't like westerns but I love TMWSLV." So I think it was in me all along.

My main reason for watching them started out to be because my friends here at the message board were big fans, and also because I missed the midwest. I grew up in Oklahoma, then Illinois, then Wisconsin and now I'm in Connecticut, where there are trees everywhere! I really missed the wide open spaces, and that's what REALLY drew me to the western. Those westerns felt fresh and young and open, like my childhood.

So my favorites would be (sorry for the length of the list, I have way too many now that my friends here have clued me in!):

Wagon Master
The Searchers
Three Bad Men
My Darling Clementine
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Decision at Sundown
Shane
Westward the Women
The Big Trail
Devil's Doorway
The Red Man's View (1909)
The Tall T
Seven Men from Now
Roughshod
Ride the High Country (sorry :D )
Four Faces West
Hell's Hinges (1916)
Wagon Train (1940)
Annie Oakley ( not sure this counts as a western but I love the wild west show)
Dodge City
Belle Starr
Go West, Young Lady
RedRiver
Posts: 4209
Joined: July 28th, 2011, 9:42 am

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy, you've named a few I'm not familiar with. Don't remember ROUGHSHOD. THREE BAD MEN sounds awfully familiar. Can't quite place it!
User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by JackFavell »

Three Bad Men is a John Ford western, made in 1926, and it's similar in story to the Three Godfathers which I also should have mentioned on my list. :D It's a wonderful movie, beautifully made and acted, with the three outlaws taking charge of a young woman after her father is killed.

Roughshod is a B western with Gloria Grahame, Myrna Dell, Jeff Donnell as saloon girls, with Robert Fuller and a very young Claude Jarman Jr. as a father and son who against their better judgment take the girls with them on a journey through outlaw country. It's got some twists and turns in the characters of the girls, no stereotypes here, and I like the woman-centric plot. Gloria and Myrna really stand out, but the entire cast is good, and little Claude Jarman is outstanding.
User avatar
Wayoutwest
Posts: 47
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 11:10 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Wayoutwest »

[quote="RedRiver"]Of all the things to like about Mr. Clayton Moore, it's that perfectly toned voice that gets to me. I don't think I've ever heard one so appealing. [quote]

You're right, Red; he did have a wonderful voice! In his autobiography, he talks about working to deepen it for the role of TLR since the radio LR's voice was deep.

Shortly after reading that, I saw him in "Kit Carson" (his 1st credited role as Clayton Moore). And while you could recognize his voice, it really wasn't as deep as his in TLR series. Guess his hard voice-work paid off :)
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
User avatar
Wayoutwest
Posts: 47
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 11:10 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Wayoutwest »

JackFavell wrote:Three Bad Men is a John Ford western, made in 1926, and it's similar in story to the Three Godfathers which I also should have mentioned on my list. :D It's a wonderful movie, beautifully made and acted, with the three outlaws taking charge of a young woman after her father is killed.

Roughshod is a B western with Gloria Grahame, Myrna Dell, Jeff Donnell as saloon girls, with Robert Fuller and a very young Claude Jarman Jr. as a father and son who against their better judgment take the girls with them on a journey through outlaw country. It's got some twists and turns in the characters of the girls, no stereotypes here, and I like the woman-centric plot. Gloria and Myrna really stand out, but the entire cast is good, and little Claude Jarman is outstanding.

Oh Wendy, loved "Three Godfathers" too! There really ARE too many to name, aren't there?!!
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
User avatar
Wayoutwest
Posts: 47
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 11:10 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Wayoutwest »

JackFavell wrote:Red, I always liked that too, the clever way they always kept us from seeing him.

And talk about two absolutely fantastic voices, he and Jay Silverheels were evenly matched in that.

Susan, that's a great list of shows and movies.

I'm fairly new to westerns, I've only been serious about watching them for a few years. TV westerns I'm completely clueless about except for Maverick and Palladin! For movies, I have always liked The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, even when I was a kid. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say "I don't like westerns but I love TMWSLV." So I think it was in me all along.

My main reason for watching them started out to be because my friends here at the message board were big fans, and also because I missed the midwest. I grew up in Oklahoma, then Illinois, then Wisconsin and now I'm in Connecticut, where there are trees everywhere! I really missed the wide open spaces, and that's what REALLY drew me to the western. Those westerns felt fresh and young and open, like my childhood.

So my favorites would be (sorry for the length of the list, I have way too many now that my friends here have clued me in!):

Wagon Master
The Searchers
Three Bad Men
My Darling Clementine
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Decision at Sundown
Shane
Westward the Women
The Big Trail
Devil's Doorway
The Red Man's View (1909)
The Tall T
Seven Men from Now
Roughshod
Ride the High Country (sorry :D )
Four Faces West
Hell's Hinges (1916)
Wagon Train (1940)
Annie Oakley ( not sure this counts as a western but I love the wild west show)
Dodge City
Belle Starr
Go West, Young Lady
Thanks for sharing your list--and it's not too long. Mine would have been too if I kept typing. And no need to apologize about liking Ride the High Country LOL
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by JackFavell »

There are just too many good westerns aren't there? :D
User avatar
Wayoutwest
Posts: 47
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 11:10 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Wayoutwest »

JackFavell wrote:There are just too many good westerns aren't there? :D
I reckon you're right, Ma'am :wink:
"Always drink upstream from the herd"
Avatar: Clayton Moore putting on a mask--this time for "The Ghost of Zorro"
[i]WOW/Susan[/i]
User avatar
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator
Posts: 3325
Joined: April 14th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Location: Texas

Re: The Lone Ranger

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Happy Belated Birthday to Mr. Clayton Moore, one of my heroes. And Erik, congratulations on meeting Mr. Moore and Mr. Silverheels! Lucky! :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2020
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Post Reply