MacKenna's Gold (1969): A Fool and His Money

moira finnie
Administrator

MacKenna's Gold (1969): A Fool and His Money

Post by moira finnie »

MacKenna's Gold (1969) is a stunning western pictorially and as a celebration of excessive waste. The film, wallowing in the new-found freedoms in film as the Production Code was finally abandoned, reflects the cynicism of the late sixties, though it is set in 1874. Released in the same year as the classic The Wild Bunch and True Grit, the first part of the film is visually glorious, with scenes filmed in the deserts around Medford, Oregon, Kenab, Utah, Canyon de Chelly and Glen Canyon, Arizona, all spectacular settings chosen carefully by the director J. Lee Thompson and his production designer, Geoffrey Drake. If only the visual breadth of the film had been matched by a more incisive analysis of the frontier mentality and the limits of civilized behavior in the face of violence and greed.

Even on a Hi-Def television in a Wide Screen format, one can only imagine how this movie must have looked to movie-goers in a theatre in '69 during its first run. Shot in color with a 70mm lens for Cinerama by cinematographer Joseph MacDonald (Pickup on South Street, Bigger Than Life), the movie was the last film of MacDonald's career. Originally intended for reserved seat roadshow engagements, a nervous Columbia Studios cut the film down to two hours from its original three and dumped it in regular theaters after losing faith in the movie. A relatively simple story was overblown, told with a then-enormous budget of $14.5 million and lasting longer than it should have, even after drastic editing.

According to IMDb, "a handful of scenes were filmed in 35mm anamorphic and then optically blown up with disastrous results. The blown-up scenes are exceedingly grainy and have bad color." There were also several scenes with matte paintings inserted in the last third of the movie representing vast landscapes that had been photographed beautifully for the earlier scenes in the movie.

Made by the same team that produced The Guns of Navarone (1961): Director J. Lee Thompson, (who had made far better movies, Ice Cold in Alex, Tiger Bay, I Aim at the Stars when he was working on a much smaller scale in his native Britain), Producer-Writer Carl Foreman, and star Gregory Peck, this movie was turned down by Steve McQueen. Peck initially said no to the script as well, but relented later, perhaps in gratitude to Thompson and Foreman for their earlier work together, as well as Peck's work on Cape Fear (1962) with Thompson. Peck may also have wanted the work since his career momentum was not good in that period after making the poorly received (but much better western) The Stalking Moon (1968) and just before Peck pretended to be an erudite James Bond in Red China in the listless The Chairman (again with J. Lee Thompson as director). Greg should have listened to his visceral instincts regarding this movie.

In MacKenna's Gold (1969), Gregory Peck played the title character MacKenna, who is a marshal in a Southwestern town of Hadleyburg (a possible reference to Mark Twain's humorous if pointed story "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg"). While traveling through the desert MacKenna encounters an ancient Apache Indian played by Italian character actor Eduardo Ciannelli, who looks like a leathery fruit roll-up left in the sun too long, Ciannelli, playing Prairie Dog, tries to kill Peck, fearing that the man is after his map to the legendary Canyon d'Oro, a hidden spot in the desert (sometimes known as The Lost Adams Diggings), where the gold can be seen in streaks up the walls of the canyon seven to ten feet wide. Traditionally guarded by the Apache, who believed that the Spirits will enable the tribe to remain strong and free as long as the gold is untouched, the present day Apaches have lost faith in that belief, and wish to use the gold to buy guns to fight the white man. The whites have been searching for this fabled spot for years, especially since one white man, Adams, is said to have visited the canyon with the Apache, and paid for the privilege with his eyes at the hands of the Apaches.

After Prairie Dog dies of the wounds sustained in a firefight with MacKenna, the marshal, who scoffs at the map that he finds in the Indian's belongings, burns the pictogram map. As he is burying the old man, a motley gang of cutthroats, led by MacKenna's slightly crazy old friend, a Mexican bandit named Colorado (Omar Sharif), jump the lawman, whose life is only saved after he agrees to lead them to the canyon, as outlined on the map, (apparently, Greg has a photographic memory). Their hegira takes the people through the desert to the gold, as they encounter people infected with gold fever, meeting and discarding them after various double crosses and ambushes.
There is also one relatively peaceful sequence set in an unlikely pool with fresh water in the middle of the desert. This sequence allows the male portion of the audience to enjoy the sight of a lanky Indian maiden (Julie Newmar) swimming in the buff, augmented by one discreet glimpse of Mr. Sharif with his guard down, so to speak. Gregory Peck and Camilla Sparv take a dip with their clothes on--which seems rather odd, especially since it makes them vulnerable to attack from a brooding Hesh-Ke, who really knows how to nurse a grudge. Despite this interlude, most of the action involves fights and deals that are struck among the travelers in this often beautiful looking but ludicrous movie.

In the denouement, the filmmakers threw in some trippy special effects that defy the laws of physics when the rising sun moves across the landscape very rapidly, creating long shadows in the morning instead of the afternoon. The first glimpse of the gold by the searchers allows the boy's in the photo lab to present some cheap effects that seem inspired by Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. When the tired gold hunters finally stumble upon the gold-laden canyon with renegade Apaches and Cavalry on their tails, there is even a pseudo-mystical earthquake (apparently the god's were not pleased with this movie) which tilts the film toward Krakatoa, East of Java (1969) territory. Big effects do not a coherent story make, as you can discern from this brief clip:
[youtube][/youtube]

The cast is remarkably good. If only they had a better story to tell:

~Gregory Peck as a town marshal with a shady past. Peck's character is slightly racy since he has been known to play poker, likes an occasional sip of whiskey, and may have dallied with an Indian maiden in the past. Peck is one of the few characters one can root for in this movie, though even he seems ambivalent. Much later, the actor looked back on this film and said, "MacKenna's Gold was a terrible Western, just wretched." Surveying the big budget movies that would become the last gasp of Old Hollywood style moviemaking, Peck dismissed them, pointing out that "They aim to buy their way into public favor, overpaying stars and featuring important players in small roles."

~Omar Sharif as Juan Colorado, a Mexican bandit with some serious delusions of grandeur. I suspect that Omar--or perhaps his agent--was trying to see if his Anglo-American stardom might have legs. It didn't, though Sharif's exuberant performance and accent (which really doesn't sound Spanish) is better than his character's illogical behavior, restraining his murderous impulses at several points, only to come unhinged just as his fevered dream of gold is within reach. He also has the whitest teeth in the movie, which ought to count for something.

~Keenan Wynn as a grinning bandito with almost no lines, but who leers, mugs, swigs hooch and dances with Omar at the drop of a sombrero. Maybe Wynn has been in the sun (or the movie business) for too long?

~Telly Savalas as a renegade Cavalry sergeant who has a bad case of gold fever. Leading a squad of his men into an ambush of the Hadleyburg delegation, he betrays his oath and indicates that the U.S. Cavalry in the American Southwest must have been particularly hard up for commanding figures to have allowed this ruthless character to slip through the screening process. Telly would soon go on to greater glory in Kojak in the next decade.

~Some of the most distinguished actors of their generation appear in ridiculously miniscule parts, not worth their time, though I hope they were well-paid: Eli Wallach as a gambler who is cheerfully corrupt, Raymond Massey (channeling his loopy John Brown character), Lee J. Cobb (looking filled with self-disgust), Anthony Quayle (once again, a blustering Englishman), Burgess Meredith (fiddling with his glasses just like in The Twilight Zone), and Edward G. Robinson as a blind man whose eyes have been burned out by the Apaches. Unfortunately, we get a lurid closeup of these eyes for a few seconds of screen time. None of these good and great actors gets more than a few lines--except for Eddie, who milks his lines for everything he can!

~Ted Cassidy (yes, it's Lurch from The Addams Family) as Hachita, the tallest Apache ever comes along with the Mexican bandits as a killing machine. His motives seem obscure, if non-existent. Apparently, his brooding presence as a mercenary Indian is sufficient, and the screenplay does not even hint at how his life path brought him to this spot.

~Julie Newmar as Hesh-Ke, an Apache amazon who is part of Colorado's gang, has a wicked temper and a smoking bod. Hesh-Ke was apparently involved with MacKenna in his younger, wilder days and she appears to harbor a grudge and a yen for the man, depending on her mood. One person she does not care for is the hostage Inga (Camilla Sparv). A survivor, it seems that Hesh-Ke's future will not necessarily be enhanced by gold, though when she is compared to an elderly Indian woman, her flinch at the thought indicates that her still waters may run deep. Too bad she doesn't have more than a few grunts in this script.

[I have a crackpot theory that Ted Cassidy and Julie Newmar really wandered into this movie from another set where they were playing aliens from another planet, since they have an otherworldly quality that is inexplicable but palpable.]

~Camilla Sparv as Inga, the willowy hostage whose grey eye shadow never smudges and whose glistening blonde hair never seems to need a wash. The beautiful Swedish actress could not have been more naturally elegant in her minimalist wardrobe, though her acting style was almost indiscernible as she mimicked the expressiveness of the petrified trees that dot the landscape in this film.

~David Garfield (left) credited here as John Garfield, Jr., appeared as Eddie Robinson's seeing eye boy. The poor kid (who did not look like his father in this scene) doesn't have much to do except be attentive and then play dead. Mr. Garfield appeared in a handful of movies around this time, and eventually went on to a career as a film editor until his untimely death at only 51 in 1994.

~Victor Jory narrates the sprawling story, playing up the old codger in his voice, though his speech neither enhances nor unifies the story adequately.

I haven't even mentioned the song "Old Turkey Buzzard" which is the theme sung by José Feliciano for this movie. MacKenna's Gold boasts so many talented if ill-used people. Two of them are Mr. Feliciano and the composer Quincy Jones, whose score for the film is more noisy than melodious or a complement to the action.

MacKenna's Gold is available on DVD, has appeared on TCM in the past and is currently scheduled to be shown on the Encore Western Channel in August at the following times (all times shown are EDT):

Sunday, August 7th
9:50am
11:20pm

Friday, August 12th
9:30am

Thursday, August 25th
10:50am

Tuesday, August 30th
11:00am
11:45pm

Sources:
Chibnail, Steve, J. Lee Thompson, (British Film Makers Series), Manchester University Press ND, 2000
Molyneaux, Gerard, Gregory Peck: A Bio-Bibliography, Greenwood Publishing Group, 1995
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Re: MacKenna's Gold (1969): A Fool and His Money

Post by knitwit45 »

well, other than that, how did you like the movie??? 8) :wink: 8) :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:well, other than that, how did you like the movie??? 8) :wink: 8) :wink:
Loved the cast.

Loved the scenery.

HATED the way the story was told. Just my take on two hours I'll never get back, and not written in gold, heh, heh. :shock:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Moira,

Thanks for posting ... this one movie that I'm dying to see ... I have a notebook containing a list of movies that I wanted to see in the future and with the information that you've provided to us today enables me to watch it. Incidentally, this movie made a lot of Batman Television Show fans mad - because Julie Newmar turned down William Dozier's request to do Catwoman in the 3rd Season ... and that's how Eartha Kitt got the role. I remember that Julie got more money doing McKenna's Gold than doing three (that she was contracted for; her lawyer got her out of it) shows as Catwoman period.

I was mad too! I prefer Newmar's version better than Kitt's version ... but, they did the role very well indeed ... so I did not complain about Kitt's performance as Catwoman.

By the way, what an all-star cast! Terrific Post Moira!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Loved the cast.

Loved the scenery.

HATED the way the story was told. Just my take on two hours I'll never get back, and not written in gold, heh, heh. :shock:
I remember seeing this in a theater, 20 months pregnant (so it seemed) with my first child...I took my shoes off halfway thru the movie, and had to walk out of the theater barefoot. I do remember that everyone in the audience seemed to be as enthralled as I was. Secret maps, hidden passageways, danger all around (and that was just on the way to the restroom!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess because it was exciting, no one seemed to notice the lack of script and direction. :shock: Having seen it on TV, the weird sound effects and grainy sequences have never seemed right. But the scenery and cast were, as you say, terrific!.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:I remember seeing this in a theater, 20 months pregnant (so it seemed) with my first child...I took my shoes off halfway thru the movie, and had to walk out of the theater barefoot. I do remember that everyone in the audience seemed to be as enthralled as I was. Secret maps, hidden passageways, danger all around (and that was just on the way to the restroom!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess because it was exciting, no one seemed to notice the lack of script and direction. :shock: Having seen it on TV, the weird sound effects and grainy sequences have never seemed right. But the scenery and cast were, as you say, terrific!.
I'm so jealous, in a weird way. I bet it was great on the big screen--if LOUD--I had to turn the volume down three times while watching it at home. (I see Dmitri Tiomkin was a producer of this, so no wonder the audio was cranked to 11). I should have asked you about this movie before watching it, and then maybe I wouldn't have picked the story apart. I hope you didn't have to walk too far barefoot and pregnant, Nan.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

It's so bloody hot here, even the dogs won't go outside. Have to do something to stir things up a bit..... :wink:

Nah, I love your reviews, M., I was just teasing a bit. The main thing I remember about the whole night was being terribly embarrassed, this was 1969, it was a downtown theater (date quality) and I was hugely preggers. One just didn't walk barefoot out of a movie palace. :oops:

'barefoot and pregnant', indeed... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
knitwit45 wrote:well, other than that, how did you like the movie??? 8) :wink: 8) :wink:
knitwit45 wrote: I guess because it was exciting, no one seemed to notice the lack of script and direction. :shock: Having seen it on TV, the weird sound effects and grainy sequences have never seemed right. But the scenery and cast were, as you say, terrific!.
Loved the cast.

Loved the scenery.

Well, I'm about 2/3 of the movie folks (I've wanting to see this movie so bad) ... both Moira & Knitwit45 sums up the movie quite nicely I say. Just like Moira said ... Loved the cast. Loved the scenery ... and HATED the way the story was told. Combined that with Knitty assessment that because it was exciting, no one seemed to noticed the lack of script and direction ... Knitty/Moira I couldn't help it ... you both are absolutely right on the money :!:

So, the movie that I have been wanting to see for a very long time ... has been rather very disappointing to me so far!

In closing, this will be the first and the last time I see this movie and since the movie is got about another 30-40 minutes to go ... I've might well watch it to the end to see what will happen next. Just like Knitty said "exciting" and nothing more or less :!:

Append
The last 5-10 minutes of the movie was very exciting indeed & I would had cut that short about another 2-4 minutes to make it little more dramatic. However, I did like the closing of which McKenna, Inga, and Colorado departs ... I thought it's rather cool indeed!
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

This is one of those films that got etched into my memory banks as a young lad seeing it on the big screen with my dad. As a large family of 7 we attended movies sporadically as an entire clan together (generally at the drive-in) but quite frequently in smaller groups. Us kids were carpooled, along with our entire neighborhood, to every Saturday matinee in the 60's. Each of us got to attend age appropriate films during the week with our peers and one adult, so it was only natural that as I slowly matured (very slowly....) my Dad used me as an excuse for him to get out of the house and see movies that he enjoyed - war, westerns, cop dramas. The late 60's and early 70's was my wheelhouse of sitting in the dark with my dad and it has colored how I view many of the films from that era even now.

MACKENNA'S GOLD was big, expansive, it featured a big-time star and had enough action in it to satisfy this kid who was already fascinated with all genres of the movies. And I definitely remember Julie Newmar's skinny dip scene (Just as I would remember my first naked butt on the big screen two years later with THE FRENCH CONNECTION........and NO! It wasn't Hackman's that I'm thinking of). What I was never aware of was that MACKENNA originally clocked in at 3 hours. Thanks for the memory jog Moira,
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Cast 24 Players and 1 Narrator.
Gregory Peck: Mackenna
Omar Sharif: Colorado
Telly Savalas: Sgt. Tibbs
Camilla Sparv: Inga
Keenan Wynn: Sanchez
Julie Newmar: Heshke
Ted Cassidy: Hachita
Lee J. Cobb: The Editor
Raymond Massey: The Preacher
Burgess Meredith: The Storekeeper
Anthony Quayle: Older Englishman
Edward G. Robinson: Old Adams
Eli Wallach: Ben Baker
Eduardo Ciannelli: Prairie Dog
Richard "Dick" Peabody: Avila
Rudy Diaz: Besh
Robert Phillips: Monkey
Shelley Morrison: The Pima Squaw
J. Robert Porter: Young Englishman
John Garfield Jr.: Adams Boy
Pepe Callahan: Laguna
Madeleine Taylor Holmes: Old Apache Woman
Duke Hobbie: Lieutenant
Trevor Bardette: Old Man
Victor Jory: Narrator

This powerhouse cast ...looking at it is like a "Mad Mad Mad Mad World" for Westerns. To me, I'm going to watch it again tonight with a more open mind and maybe I might find more good things about this movie. To me, I kind trash it in my first review ... and I will give a 2nd one tomorrow morning and I hope it will be better than 1st one.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Can't believe that I watched this movie twice in one day; after vowing not to see it again. If they had cut out 6-8 unnecessary actors and transform it into a Magnificent Seven instead a "Mad Mad Mad Mad World" of Westerns and did a better job of scripting and pace of the movie ... and made Adams role (Edward G. Robinson) more cameo-like and use him as the Narrator in this movie ... it would been a better movie. Victor Jory's is not suited for a role as a Narrator period.

I just can't stand his voice - I've watched this movie with sounds and closed captioning at the same time. Horrible Music!

If they did all that ... it would made this movie better and more enjoyable. I love the photography, the scenery, and most importantly the action in this movie is impressive enough. The problem is is that this movie has 24 actors and actresses that all cramming into a movie that is two hours give and take a few minutes. To me, they should got rid of Keenan Wynn ... he had practically no lines in this movie and I do not like movies that they use a well known actor like Wynn in a mode that he doesn't have any lines at all.

This movie is rated 2 stars ... if they had done it my way as I written above and do a little better job with the script ... it could easily become a 3 stars movie in an instant. Moira and others that contributed to this thread ... this movie has lots of star power ... the problem is their wasn't enough time for all of them to "shine" and that makes this movie marginal at best. So, in closing ... now that I seen it twice in one day ... if I were to grade it A to F.

First Grade: D Minus ... Second Grade C Plus (Just Barely) ... Overall Grade ... A Marginal C for this Western.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I really like your suggestions for improving this potentially good story, King. I wish you had been working in Hollywood in 1968 or so,..but then, it was probably too late. It's so frustrating to see so many great actors introduced and whisked away so quickly--while so little time was spent fleshing out the central characters. What is truly frustrating about this is also that J. Lee Thompson directed some corkers in his day! If you've ever seen Ice Cold in Alex and Tiger Bay, not to mention The Guns of Navarone, it seems as though Thompson's aesthetic compass was lost somewhere between his British beginnings and his arrival in America as a gun for hire.

I sure would love to know what Omar Sharif thought of this movie. I can't imagine that this film helped his career at all.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Catwoman, Kojak and Lurch! At least some TV stalwarts got some work! I haven't seen this in its entirety, but that Peck can just do no wrong. He has a quiet introspective quality that intrigues me. THE STALKING MOON is not bad. I must tip my stetson to those filmmakers who didn't abandon the western at that time.

This is the first time anybody's ever outdrawn me in praising the finely tuned CAPE FEAR. The best flat-out thriller to come out of Hollywood, it's so fluidly presented you almost forget you're watching a movie. Thompson's list of credits don't inspire me. But "Navarone" is exciting. TIGER BAY is cute. The man did good work under the right circumstances.

CAPE FEAR? Right circumstances!
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

RedRiver wrote: THE STALKING MOON is not bad. I must tip my stetson to those filmmakers who didn't abandon the western at that time.
No one was abandoning westerns during the sixties. They were still abundant on both the small and big screen. The quality was fluctuating as the violence level got amped up and the old guard was slowly dying off. That would become more prevalent during the decade of the seventies as changing landscapes made it more difficult to find pristine western scenery, which didn't include a constant view of jet streams from above. There were still a handful of top stars (Eastwood & Bronson) who enjoyed alternating their action cop films with a few oaters, but they became the exceptions to the rule as it became more expensive to find top wranglers, experience horsemen, authentic buckboards and other western transportation's - not to mention herds of buffalo and cattle.....

The western would still stick around but it could no longer be mass produced because the big ranches that the studio's relied on to supply them everything also became obsolete. But when you think about it 70 years is not a bad run for a movie genre.