LONGMIRE

mrsl

LONGMIRE

Post by mrsl »

We had a minor discussion about this show down on the General TV and Media thread a couple of weeks ago. For those western fans who didn't see the posts, Longmire a modern day sheriff who interacts with reservation indians, mountain climbers, hunters, and other outdoors types. I thought it was a new show, but I saw a few remarks about the first season, so I really don't know if it's in the first or second season. Whatever it is, you might enjoy it on Sunday night at 9:00 p.m. Actually it follows another show called The Glades but I keep missing it. I'll have to set my timer to record it.

I do suggest you check out Longmire, I think you will like it.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: LONGMIRE

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

The last couple of episodes of Longmire have been really, really good and I'm so glad I saw your post and Mark's about the show a few weeks ago otherwise I would have missed out.

The show has already been renewed for a second season.

Can't wait to see how this season ends!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have quickly become addicted to this show. It's great to see a crime show that's not set in an urban area -- though I enjoy a lot of the urban crime shows too. ;)

Robert Taylor is a great modern-day sheriff and why am I not surprised they had to go all the way to Australia to find the right actor for the part? :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

.Well Pvitari:

I guess they're still growing men up to full size in Australian cinema. Consider the Duke, Henry Fonda, Ty Power, Cary Grant, etc. of their generation were all at least 5'11'' by their 30th birthdays, it seems really hard to picture any leading 'man' of today as capable of carrying a whole movie by themselves. All the big guys are on the little TV box. Maybe it's because of the big home flat screens. They know they'll look full sized. I don't mean to sound mean but I've been saying this or things like it for years now. I guess it all ties in with playing sports on Play Station instead of outside in the fresh air. Of course it's not all the kids fault, we can look at a couple of whiz, bang ex presidents who decided to cancel funds for school sports and recess programs; just like many state senators are not accepting Michele Obama's suggestions for fresh food and fruit meals for luncheon in schools. Let the chubby kids keep eating cheese burgers, hot dogs, and pizza so it's easier on the cook.

Anyway, I'm tired of seeing these little boys trying to act like grown men in the movies.

Sorry, I just get so angry at kids losing out because some senator wants to take another trip to Hawaii.

Anne

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Mrsl, I know just what you mean. Nothing exemplifies better for me how things have changed than the new encarnation of Dallas, on TNT. Larry Hagman (even in his 80s, and after a number of dire illnesses) and Patrick Duffy are the real deal -- they're MEN. Those two kids playing J.R. son John Ross (Josh Henderson) and Bobby's son Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) are bland puppies who look like they're playing dress-up. I find Henderson especially off-putting. I don't get the casting of those two at all, but maybe they just wanted two boys who wouldn't frighten off tweens or something.

One American actor who I think might fit into the old-fashioned mold is Chris Evans, who was so great as Captain America.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm glad someone sees what I see finally. I'll have to check out Chris Evans to see what kind of figure he makes. I'm surprised nobody has as yet made the comparison in yesterday's men and today's. While the girls are fully grown, during love scenes, they must feel like they're hugging their little brothers. Unfortunately, even the tall ones are skinny guys. I really laughed a few years ago when Tobey Maguire 'buffed up' for the second installment of the Spider man series and all the news media made a big thing of it with photos and interviews on how he did it, when actually all he really did was buff up to what his body weight should have been for his height. It's just another thing I see as perfectly logical and others find it superior . . . silly :!:
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Okay, am I crazy or what?

I thought that the reason Walt went on his bender (the one we've seen in flashbacks) was because his wife died of cancer.

According to the promo I saw after this week's episode, that may not be all the story.

I thought in one of the early episodes there was dialog about Walt's wife's death and it being medical related.

Did I just dream that?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That's what I mean Lz when I ask if you saw or heard something that I didn't. I'm not saying you did or did not because I don't always 'get' what they're trying to say, and I would rather give you the benefit of the doubt than myself.
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, Lynn, you were right!!! So she was killed instead of dying from cancer. Personally, I think the daughter is a w itch, and I wish Walt had really kicked a** with Branch. I didn't like him the first time I laid eyes on him, and my dislike has just grown. I also am pretty sure, especially after tonight that Vic would like to have a better (or more personal) relationship with Walt than she has now, but she has to remember she's married to that lug.

I have to say however, that was a great beginning of a pretty serious show and the wonderful unspoken thoughts of Vic and the chubby deputy, made the start of the show hilarious to me at least.

One more thing is they have to start giving bigger parts to Lou Diamond Phillips or he will walk next year, and I would hate to see that.
Anne

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I sure hope they bring in Adam Beach to guest star next year. He is a terrific actor.

Definitely more Lou Diamond Phillips. Great to see him rescued from a string of bad movies.

Katherine LaNasa, who plays the blonde lady with the fledgling romantic interest in Walt, has an absolutely fascinating real life history. I first read up on her when she played a cop on that Simon Baker series, The Guardian, who had an affair with Simon's character, angsty lawyer Nick Fallin. Life must be very difficult for her right now -- she is the mother of Dennis Hopper's son Henry, a promising young actor who was just accused of drugging and raping a 15 year old girl. :( :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_LaNasa

http://theadvocate.com/utility/homepage ... s-big-year

So... who thinks Walt did kill that guy back in Denver?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I got hooked on Longmire last year after watching just two shows. Little did I know that I missed about 7 others. I now know that this is the opening of only the second season. All day Friday they ran the whole first season of Longmire starting with the pilot and running chronologically through until the last episode. The question the Indian police chief asked Walt about whether or not he ever killed anyone for the right reason is a clue to whether Walt killed that guy in Denver or if it was actually Henry (I think it was). BTW I love the relationship between Walt and Henry. They portray a true man's friendship. My late husband had a couple of that kind of friend, one where he didn't have to talk a lot, but somehow they knew what each other meant when they uttered a few words. Often the discussion went straight over my head, but with a quick smile or nod, the other 'got' what was being said. The same is true about Walt and Henry's deep conversations. They discuss the facts only, not what he said/she said. And they don't discuss how 'fine' a car or truck looks, but whether or not it would be good on rough terrain e.g. it doesn't matter if it's a rust bucket or a sleek muscle car - the only importance is if it can run. All of the men in this show are 'men' in every sense of the word, even Ferg - he knows what to do, he just doesn't always do it correctly. From the beginning I've disliked Branch, and still do. Poor thing is expected to do whatever Papa dictates. I just hope he gets his before too long, although the show needs him as a constant irritant to keep Walt hopping. That blond woman trying to get a hold on Walt drives me nuts!!! Her laugh is almost as irritating as Jean Arthurs' voice. I love Vic. She and Walt getting together at the end of the series has got to be the final climax.

I wish A&E would advertise more on other channels so more and more people become aware of this superior series. The writing is above average, and the actors are all top notch. To continue, it will need as many followers as it can get. I would love to see it continue for at least four or five years if not more. It returns Monday night at 9:00 p.m., but I'm pretty sure it will continue to be shown on Sunday nights.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I just "discovered" Longmire...wow. I have Time Warner Cable, and the first series is on demand. I have watched all of them, and can barely wait for tonight. Robert Taylor is really good, isn't he? He is a real person, one who can be calm and logical, but who also has a deep, underlying rage, barely contained. I don't think he was on a binge when he was in Denver, he was after his wife's killer. I think those awful scars on his back were obtained during that time.

Also don't think either of the ladies mentioned are for him. Vic is way too young, too brash, too unhappy. The other one is merely a start back. She is so pushy, she will drive him away...I hope.

Did either of you pick up the fact that A. Martinez is the real Dog Soldier? The last scene of him, with his face to the sky, happened so quickly, I had to back up to make sure it was him. Were there two of them beating that informant? Someone picked up two teeth, and then at the end, Martinez held them up to the gods in the sky. I don't think he has the strength to beat anyone...

Questions, questions, questions! :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with you knittie: I spotted A Martinez before. I've like him for a long time and consider him one of our 'gifts' from some Latin country - I don't know his country of origin. I guess you didn't catch him on an earlier episode. I'm not sure which one it was, though and AT&T U-Verse doesn't have it on On Demand.

Yes, I love Walt (Robert Taylor). Using that real name seems so surreal when in connection with a modern western especially on this 'Classic Movie' site. I also agree that I doubt if he was on a binge when he went after the person or persons who killed his wife.

You're probably right about Vic being too young but I sincerely HOPE you are also correct about the blond who thinks shes a cougar.

What do you think about Branch?

I too, can hardly wait for the season opener - I'm counting the hours.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Boy, this one didn't give any answers, did it? It was kind of satisfying to see Vic slug that smarta$$, wasn't it? :? :shock: :oops:

I still haven't made up my mind about Branch, I think he could be a great guy if he just had more of a backbone when it comes to his dad. And ol' dog soldier Martinez has his hooks in him now...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I kept checking the time to see if they still had time to answer some questions but ggrrr. This was a good show though because I like to believe there are still real men around. I just hope that Walt and Branch finish their fisticuffs. Normally I don't like fights and stuff like that, but I want to see Walt kick Branch's a**. Looks like Branch is going to give Walt a few more digs next week when Katie goes missing.

Somehow I knew Henry would go after him, but he was right in thinking Branch wanted to go just to be the one to find the escapees and save the 'old man'.
Anne