Randolph Scott - Tribute

Western Guy

Re: Randolph Scott - Tribute

Post by Western Guy »

As a huge Randolph Scott fan that August list is exciting - my recorder will be on overdrive. Only complaint: For variety TCM should have included Randy's one foray into the horror genre: MURDERS IN THE ZOO.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

The two "Badmen" films are fun, kingrat. You can't go wrong with support from Robert Ryan in "Return" and Lawrence Tierney as Jesse James no less in "Best". Not to mention a knockout supporting cast in both, 'specially the latter.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You've hit the best films. A couple of other Boetticher films are missing. Among the better films not included is "Hangman's Knot" and "The Spoilers."

Of the films listed the rest of the day they're okay. There certainly not in the league of those you listed but I think Scott films are always enjoyable. "Badman's Territory" should be worth a look.

(We hit reply at the same time.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Western Guy wrote:As a huge Randolph Scott fan that August list is exciting - my recorder will be on overdrive. Only complaint: For variety TCM should have included Randy's one foray into the horror genre: MURDERS IN THE ZOO.
Is this film the one with Gail Patrick, Kathleen Burke aka "The Panther Woman" from "Island of Lost Souls" (1933) and a bunch of crocodiles? Good film! Also of interest is that same year's release "Supernatural" (1933) in which Carole Lombard is possessed by Vivienne Osborne's spirit.
clore

Post by clore »

I was happy to be able to finally see Scott's COAST GUARD the other night. Not that it was any great shakes, but there were some convincing effects and the cinematography was quite good for a programmer. Oddly enough, the cinematographer was Lucian Ballard who also shot BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE and RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY at the other end of Scott's career.

Also a kick seeing Scott with Joel McCrea's wife Frances Dee.

Now if only we could get some decent copies of the Paramount Zane Grey films that starred Scott in his earliest days. I have most on DVD, but the prints are terrible.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I wish I could see The Tall T over again for the first time. I think you'll really like it. It's in my top 3 Boettichers.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yep, that's the one, Fernando. And not forgetting Lionel Atwill at his most diabolical. The opening scene of MURDERS IN THE ZOO is a stunner. One can only imagine how 30s audiences took to watching that poor soul rush straight into the camera. Goose-pimply even today.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "Coroner Creek" this weekend. It's a 1948 picture with Mr. Scott and Forrest Tucker and a young George McCready.

Scott is on the trail of the white man that funded an Indian raid where his fiance was captured and later committed suicide. It is a entertaining film in the typical Scott style.

For its time I think it has a rather mature theme and approach to its plot as early Scott westerns go. Some of the fight scenes with Scott and Tucker (and their doubles) are pretty good and unusual. Nothing too deep and with particularly well ironed shirts for the men this might be worth checking out as it seems to be one of the less well known films.

It is in color and I think it is part of a DVD release later in the year.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I liked Coroner Creek. I don't remember the story well, it wasn't that kind of movie, if you know what I mean, but it had something about it that set it above just a little.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

movieman:

That's a new one on me, I never heard of Coroners Creek. When and where was it on? or was it on a DVD? If on TV, what channel so maybe I can catch it next time. Right now I have 9 Scott movies on my DVR, and earlier today I watched Badman's Territory again for the 4th or 5th time. I'm always looking for other Randy movies.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
clore

Post by clore »

CORONER CREEK will be out on DVD in December in a set with three other Scott westerns:

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=454237 ... 7020ee53ac

It almost plays like a dry run for the later Columbia film THE MAN FROM LARAMIE.

In both the protagonist is on a vengeance trail that leads to a powerful rancher who may be in league with Indians. Both heroes then find employ with a female rancher who is being squeezed out. In the course of the conflict, both men suffer injuries to their hand which is rather gruesomely dispensed by a bad guy. Oh - Wallace Ford also figures in both.

It's also the first of the Scott westerns to feature him as a man out to get the man who killed his wife/fiancee, something found in several of his later Boetticher films.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's interesting Clore.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

TCM showed it recently on Sat the 14th. If it was part of any theme for the day I missed the connection. I'm not even sure how I stumbled on it but I got it far enough ahead to put it on my DVR.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I caught this when it was on---two things stood out: the color photography was gorgeous and the violence was shockingly graphic for the time. I agree with Clore that this movie really does point to The Man From Laramie in many ways, including the emphasis on violence.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers