Randolph Scott - Tribute

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Randolph Scott - Tribute

Post by movieman1957 »

I was struck by the color. Many westerns from that time, especially the minor ones, have lost a great deal of their color. The only misstep in the color was the ladies lipstick. It looked orange to me and I found that rather distracting. I sure don;t think it was the TV because all else looked well.

One of my favorite moments is when Wallace Ford (there's a connection to "Laramie") comes back to help Scott when he gets beat up and finally shows some force. He carries it well and gives you a little different outlook on him.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
clore

Post by clore »

The color was a bit "off" as that was the nature of the Cinecolor process, a two-color process that tended to lean toward earth-tones and thus perhaps best used in westerns if it had to be used at all.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Cinecolor has degraded far more easily over the years, so the lipstick color might not have been the original color intended.

You've reminded me of Wallace Ford's performance in Coroner's Creek, which is one of the reasons I liked it so much. I like that he stepped up when it came time.
clore

Post by clore »

I just received the Randolph Scott Western Collection that's being promoted this month. A big buyer beware on this set - the site lists that the four films are on four discs. Wrong - there's only two discs (not "flippers") and at a $40.00 list, this is contemptible. Plus it was shipped in what could be considered a sandwich bag with no padding or protection at all.

Just an advisory but as my first order from the TCM Shop, I can safely say that there won't be another. The only reason I won't ask for a refund is the relative scarcity of the titles, especially THE WALKING HILLS.

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=454237 ... 7020ee53ac
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

[color=#8000BF]Clore:

I would be absolutely furious about the shipping materials used for your order, so I see where you're coming from, however, White Christmas and Holiday Inn were my first order from the TCM shop a few years ago and I received them not only in the usual card stock pictorial envelopes but also in a heavy cardboard box, surrounded by peanuts. I understand the economy has dropped, but to endanger a $40.00 item during shipping is incredible. Someone was off their senses that day.
[/color]
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
clore

Post by clore »

Thanks for the comment mrsl. It's such packaging that caused me to stop ordering from Deep Discount as I had a few things arrive with the DVD boxes rather banged up. It's like buying a new car and getting one that has little dents and nicks on it.

I was at least able to confirm on a friend's PC that these discs are dual layer - my PC's DVD drive has to be replaced so I could not do that on my own. Still, the ad has been up on the TCM Shop site since last Spring - the set was supposed to be on the street in September. Given all this time, they should have revised the page to note that it's two discs and not four.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Belle of The Yukon" (Netflix) is a slight western starring Randolph Scott, Gypsy Rose Lee and Lee's wardrobe. In addition to wearing what looks like a large rodent on her head during most of the movie she and the other women, must have used every last bit of makeup in the studio. Even in color sometimes less is better. Dinah Shore also is on hand to sing and smile a lot.

Not much of a plot but what there is involves Scott's very nice saloon/theater and a double cross involving gold dust. Most everyone in this frontier Alaskan town is on the run from the US and they are not against going after a few friends to enrich themselves. Romantic subplots and some songs get in the way and would have shortened the film by about 15 minutes.

While I wouldn't say it was awful there sure isn't much to recommend about it. Only if you're bored.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Strangely, your review makes me want to watch this fiasco! :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Not sure I've ever seen Dinah Shore in a movie.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She has a beautiful voice, flaming red hair and lots of very straight teeth. I'm not sure if you didn't know she was there you'd recognize her at first.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What is the Danny Kaye wartime musical called that she is in?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That movie was Up In Arms, knitwit. That sounds terrible, as if I'm calling you a knitwit, but you know what I mean, don't you?

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

That's my name!!!! :D :lol: :lol: And thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember the title.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not sure if you didn't know she was there you'd recognize her at first.

I don't think I'd recognize her without a Chevrolet!
clore

Post by clore »

movieman1957 wrote: While I wouldn't say it was awful there sure isn't much to recommend about it. Only if you're bored.

That pretty much sums up BELLE OF THE YUKON. For years I needed to add to the list as I'm a completist when it comes to Randolph Scott. TCM aired it so I recorded it on my DVD recorder so that I may return for future viewings. Somehow I don't believe that this is going to happen.