I can't believe I watched the whole thing!

mrsl

I can't believe I watched the whole thing!

Post by mrsl »

Now I know why I waited 41 years to see Blazing Saddles. At this time in my life I can spare 158 minutes of time knowing nobody is going to need me quickly or for any reason, but I still cannot believe I sat through this whole pile of garbage. After all these years of hearing how funny it was, I guess I kept waiting for it to become miraculously entertaining. Now, I know most of you out there are going to say what a double drip I am, but I find it hard to laugh at a movie that in the first 20 minutes abuses every unwritten law imaginable from racism to age and everything in between. When it originally came out, I Was working as an editor for 6 draftsmen who had all seen it 5 or 6 times either together or separately on dates (God forbid any guy took me to see this thing on a date!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: ) But these fellows drove me nuts for weeks reciting various dialog from certain scenes. So, for the love of heaven, I will never understand why this piece of trash was ever a big hit and so well accepted. Whatever the reason, it will always be a mystery to me.

This is kind of like the thread for bad movies you love, but in this case, it's bad movies you don't love.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: I can't believe I watched the whole thing!

Post by movieman1957 »

Well, like anything it comes down to what we like. I never would have thought it was something you would enjoy. (Not sure where the 158 minutes comes from as it is only a little over 90 minutes. Unless there were commercials and a lot of them.)

I think it is quite funny. Vulgar, yes. In 1974 terms not nearly as racist as it must seem today. (I give Encore Westerns credit for not editing any of it.) Brooks was never shy about making fun of Jews and Nazis. It loses me some at the end. I wish he would have stayed in the "old" west but that is just my preference.

Contrary to most people two bits stick out for me. When Mongo knocks out the horse is maybe one of the funniest things for me as it is so unexpected. And the town meeting at the church because is spirit it is lifted right out of "High Noon."

I give you credit for sticking it out. A laurel and hardy handshake for you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

No cudos expected because I went in expecting to hate it, but a few years ago I watched Roshomon with the same feeling and came away actually liking it more than the later Paul Newman American version. I really DID try to watch with an open mind though because I thought if something has hung around for this long and still gets good reviews (newspaper TV guide), it has to have some redeeming qualities, but sadly I was wrong. Comedy is definitely a matter of taste, so I happily pass it on to it's fans as I have the Three Stooges, and Charlie Chaplin. Before I get myself in trouble, I have to add just one more thing. I generally eat dinner at 6:00 when Wanted: Dead or Alive starts, and unfortunately 3 times this week, as I sat down ready to enjoy my nightly meal, . . . on comes the promo from around the campfire, which really helped my digestion. The good thing is, it may help me to lose weight :P :lol: :D
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is funnier; better in every way. But "Blazing" is OK. More than OK. It's clever. The problem, as you have noted, is that we've heard so much for so long. It's a movie you almost know without even seeing it. Based on reports from friends of mine, the greatest things in the world are food, sex and BLAZING SADDLES! This is grossly exaggerated. But I like the movie.