Q & A for Dwayne Epstein, Author of LEE MARVIN, POINT BLANK

Past chats with our guests.
Dwayne Epstein

Re: Q & A for Dwayne Epstein, Author of LEE MARVIN, POINT BLANK

Post by Dwayne Epstein »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Dwayne, you are shameless! But if I had written the book about Lee Marvin, I would keep promoting it, too. Your responses about Robert Ryan and Jason Robards are thoughtful, not reckless, and "agreeing to disagree" is just fine.

So glad you read her thread. Are there any other SSO Guest Star threads that you found particularly intriguing? Please feel free to share.
Yeah I admit it, when it comes to promoting my book I am indeed shameless and have ALMOST no limitations!

I read Lisa's thread in preparation for this forum fest so I'll know a little of what to expect. I am embarassed to admit that was all that I read due to time limitations so I really can't comment on any of the others. I might check them out some more in the weeks ahead and let you know, as I find this to be a wonderful way to connect with fellow movie fans...Good job to one and all!

So any more Lee Marvin questions or comments out there????? 8)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dwayne, just one more.

On February 8, a double feature of The Killers and Point Blank were screened at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica and Jim Hemphill moderated a panel with you, Clu Gulagher, producer Jud Bernard, and Christopher Marvin. I would love to hear any comments about your experiences, and what panel members had to share!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Dwayne Epstein

Post by Dwayne Epstein »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Dwayne, just one more.

On February 8, a double feature of The Killers and Point Blank were screened at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica and Jim Hemphill moderated a panel with you, Clu Gulagher, producer Jud Bernard, and Christopher Marvin. I would love to hear any comments about your experiences, and what panel members had to share!
THANKS for asking about that as it was a truly wonderful experience! My publisher Tim Schaffner, my agent Mike Hamilburg, my publicists Bonnie Winning & Laurel Lambert ALL showed up. Some friends from high school were there, Lee's daughter Cynthia and her son Matthew (Lee's only grandchild) also showed up. I felt like I was having my Bar Mitzvah with a whole bunch of Lee Marvin fans!

The panel of us took questions between the films and some of the responses--especially from Lee's The Killers co-star Clu Gulager--was a hoot! He's a great storyteller and never lets the facts get in the way of spinning a fun yarn. When asked about Lee and Ronald Reagan, Gulager told the same story he had told me about how the two men clashed over a scene in which a young woman had a line of dialogue that Lee thought was bogging down the movie. This time when he told it he added that the young woman was Reagan's mistress (!!!) That got howls from the audience! I don't know if it'll show up or not but I added an attachment depicting that moment of the night....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi, I've been enjoying this discussion of Lee Marvin and his adventures. Could you also expand a little on Clu Gulager? I've had a crush on him for years :oops:

Thanks for being so generous with your time here!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Dwayne Epstein

Post by Dwayne Epstein »

PBS_A112.JPG
PBS_A112.JPG (50.08 KiB) Viewed 16265 times
FINALLY! Okay, in the photo are from the left moderator Jim Hemphill, Point Blank producer Jud Bernard, myself, Lee Marvin's son Christopher and Clu Gulager giving the punchline to his story to an amazed audience!
Dwayne Epstein

Post by Dwayne Epstein »

knitwit45 wrote:Hi, I've been enjoying this discussion of Lee Marvin and his adventures. Could you also expand a little on Clu Gulager? I've had a crush on him for years :oops:

Thanks for being so generous with your time here!

Nancy
Thank you for your interest. I'm not quite sure what else I can say about Clu Gulager other than the fact that he's a great guy, wonderful actor, and a hell of storyteller. I don't know how old he is but whatever his age he still looks wonderful and is very chipper and energetic. The picture I posted doesn't really do justice to his appearance now as it was posted to make my point about his story telling skills. If I can figure how to add a better pic of him, I will and again, thanks for your interest. If you didn't know, I interviewed Clu very extensively for my book and he was VERY forthcoming so feel free to check it out...
Dwayne Epstein

Post by Dwayne Epstein »

Hope this works: Pictured in the photo are Christopher Marvin (left) and Clu Gulager in the lobby of the Aero theater. Christopher does look like his dad doesn't he?
PBS_A035.JPG
PBS_A035.JPG (69.15 KiB) Viewed 16264 times
And check out the mane of hair Gulager still sports!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dwayne, thank you for posting such a wonderful photo of Christopher Marvin and Clu Gulager, and the group panel photo. We really have appreciated your visit here, and wish you all our best!

Please follow Dwayne's link if you are ready for your copy of LEE MARVIN: Point Blank!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Dwayne Epstein

Post by Dwayne Epstein »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Dwayne, thank you for posting such a wonderful photo of Christopher Marvin and Clu Gulager. We really have appreciated your visit here, and wish you all our best!

Please follow Dwayne's link if you are ready for your copy of LEE MARVIN: Point Blank!
I've said it before I'll say it again because it does indeed bear repeating: The pleasure was all mine! :mrgreen:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Mr, Epstein, Just to let you know that you are one of the most refreshing authors we've ever had here on SSO! Many thanks to you. It was most enjoyable.
Joe
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for sharing your time and stories with us!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard