Al Doshna, author of Richard Anderson: At Last, on 6/6-6/7

Past chats with our guests.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Al Doshna, author of Richard Anderson: At Last, on 6/6-6/7

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks so much for your response, Al.

On Richard Anderson's website, it states that he is an "insatiable traveler." What are some of his favorite places to visit?

Also, did he enjoy working with Kirk Douglas on Paths of Glory?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

Hi everybody,

Sorry to have dropped out so suddenly. Was getting into it but ran out of time.Will be checking in a number of times throughout the day tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope you don't mind another question, but as someone who relishes the Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr, I found Richard Anderson's lively portrayal of Lt. Steve Drumm in the last season to be a real hoot--not only did he look properly exasperated with Raymond Burr (and his unruly clients, not to mention that scamp, Paul Drake), but in one of the few action sequences involving Perry, he saved the legendary lawyer's life!

Was that particular scene and role one that he enjoyed? I read an interview with Raymond Burr late in his life when this excellent actor expressed some real regret about taking this demanding, typecasting role. Did Mr. Anderson note any evidence of that while working with Burr on the series?

Also, what were his impressions during his earlier experience working with director Frank Tuttle, Burr and Natalie Wood on the noirish feature film, A Cry in the Night (1956)?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Raymond Burr and Richard Anderson in Perry Mason

That's a great question, Moira!
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Al, I know Richard Anderson had several appearances on The Big Valley, so he must have been fairly well-acquainted with lee Majors before his appearance on The Six Million Dollar Man. Did they have a close friendship, or was it more of a working relationship?

Also, how did he like working with Barbara Stanwyck?

Thanks in advance for your responses, Al.
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Al

I love how Mr. Anderson dealt with his marriages and divorces in the book: just as classy as he is - he is so positive and is not negative about anyone.
Did he discuss his mother in law Norma Shearer with you?
I remember calling him once to ask her real birthdate and year for a script I was working on and he chuckled and said:
"We''ll never know."
Those MGM ladies did NOT tell!!

Thanks!
Alexa
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hello there Mr. Doshna, and thank you for extending your time to our "Oasis."

With Mr. Anderson...did he have a preference for working in television or the movies? Is he from the era that looked down upon acting for tv and did it out of necessity or...is acting, acting? I've always enjoyed the quiet gravitas of his portrayals. Thanks again.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

On Richard Anderson's website, it states that he is an "insatiable traveler." What are some of his favorite places to visit?

Also, did he enjoy working with Kirk Douglas on Paths of Glory?
Sorry for the long delay. Has been a more eventful weekend than normal.

As far as favorite places to travel, his number one is the south of France, particularly while staying at the hotel that the Cannes festival is held at, which he said is the most beautiful that he's ever seen. It's on the Mediterranean and you can have lunch down by the shore where there are scenic rocks. He likes to point out that they don't take credit cards, only checks. There's not really a close second as far as favorites go.

He has great respect for Kirk Douglas, whom he's worked with on three films: Story of Three Loves, Seven Days in May, and Seconds - quite a variety there. "He's tough" Richard says.

Kirk came late into the shoot, and was even getting ready to leave at one point because of some uncertainty. After they shot the scene with the tour through the trenches, Kirk says, about Kubrick, "This kid's really alright!" and stayed all the way through. It took some doing to get that film made as far as casting and content goes. Richard said he saw Kirk recently at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I am hoping we can get a book to him.
Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

It's great learning more about Richard Anderson. He always seemed like one of the actors I would most enjoy getting to know, probably because he's so believable as the intelligent professionals he often played. Is he still in good health for his age? He certainly seemed to be at the TCM festival a couple of years ago.
Yes, he's doing very well for his age - he'll be 89 in August. Still gets around, doing errands where he meets up with people just about every day who say "I just saw you on TV!" His three loving daughters have a watchful eye on him.
Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

by moira finnie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:43 am
I hope you don't mind another question, but as someone who relishes the Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr, I found Richard Anderson's lively portrayal of Lt. Steve Drumm in the last season to be a real hoot--not only did he look properly exasperated with Raymond Burr (and his unruly clients, not to mention that scamp, Paul Drake), but in one of the few action sequences involving Perry, he saved the legendary lawyer's life!

Was that particular scene and role one that he enjoyed? I read an interview with Raymond Burr late in his life when this excellent actor expressed some real regret about taking this demanding, typecasting role. Did Mr. Anderson note any evidence of that while working with Burr on the series?

Also, what were his impressions during his earlier experience working with director Frank Tuttle, Burr and Natalie Wood on the noirish feature film, A Cry in the Night (1956)?

He doesn't recall offhand that scene but in general the Mason set was highly organized and efficient, like a business. Didn't really have too much of a chance to socialize. i've asked him about guest stars, that were in the same episode such as Robert Armstrong from King Kong but they just whisked you from scene to scene and that was it. He did say that Barabara Hale watched out for and took care of everybody. So scenes that might have had more of an impact for the viewer were a bit different from his perspective. But he did say That although he admired Raymond's diligence and professionalism, he was a joker and could have written a book of jokes. Richard never detected any regret - probably too busy at the time. but probably that is typical for actors famous for an iconic role later in life at times.

Frank Tuttle, who was with Warners, was "a helluva nice guy, quiet. He was hot." worked well with the actors.

One more break and I'll be with you for the night.
Last edited by Al Doshna on June 7th, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey Al,

Thanks again for joining us this weekend!

I think this might have gotten lost in the mix (if it was answered and I missed it, my apologies!).

I have a question for you- how did you meet Richard Anderson and what was it like working on the book with him?

Thanks again!

Back to packing for me!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

Al, I know Richard Anderson had several appearances on The Big Valley, so he must have been fairly well-acquainted with lee Majors before his appearance on The Six Million Dollar Man. Did they have a close friendship, or was it more of a working relationship?

Also, how did he like working with Barbara Stanwyck?
Both he and Lee had known each other from both being under contract at the same time. They would update each other about what was going on and one time Lee had told him that he had a job coming up, which Richard congratulated him for. Not too long after Richard got a role on Big Valley and, lo and behold, there was Lee - that was the job he was telling Richard about.

They always worked well together, never "got into any trouble." He also worked with Lee on the Owen Marshall program with Arthur Hill. But of course that was all lead in for Six Million Dollar Man. Theirs was both a working relationship and a friendship and they still stay in touch with each other, although their lives have moved on and Richard is in California and Lee is in Texas. They both plan to appear at the Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Convention in Maryland in September.

Richard told me about a time he was watching Barbara Stanwyck do a scene with another actress, which she noticed. She noticed and came over to him and said "Richard, you notice I don't carry a script." Apparently a little acting mentoring there. She seemed to like Richard. "The town completely admired her" as did he.
Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

I love how Mr. Anderson dealt with his marriages and divorces in the book: just as classy as he is - he is so positive and is not negative about anyone.
Did he discuss his mother in law Norma Shearer with you?
Just that he had been told that she was very fond of him, was very, very nice to him and thought that he was good to Katharine, her daughter.
Al Doshna

Post by Al Doshna »

With Mr. Anderson...did he have a preference for working in television or the movies? Is he from the era that looked down upon acting for tv and did it out of necessity or...is acting, acting? I've always enjoyed the quiet gravitas of his portrayals. Thanks again.
He has always been grateful for the work in whatever medium. He saw TV come to fruition right before his eyes, simultaneously with the decline of the studio system. It was an early TV show, Lights, Camera, Action! that gave him his big break, and it was TV again that saw his potential after Paths of Glory and used it. So I guess for him it would be that "acting is acting." However quality of the production is really the thing that counts to him.