Al Doshna, author of Richard Anderson: At Last, on 6/6-6/7

Past chats with our guests.

Moderators: moira finnie, Lzcutter, Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Al Doshna, author of Richard Anderson: At Last, on 6/6-6/7

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » June 6th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Thanks so much for your response, Al.

On Richard Anderson's website, it states that he is an "insatiable traveler." What are some of his favorite places to visit?

Also, did he enjoy working with Kirk Douglas on Paths of Glory?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2020
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor

Al Doshna
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Al Doshna » June 6th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Hi everybody,

Sorry to have dropped out so suddenly. Was getting into it but ran out of time.Will be checking in a number of times throughout the day tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you.

kingrat

Postby kingrat » June 7th, 2015, 9:53 am

Hi, Al,

It's great learning more about Richard Anderson. He always seemed like one of the actors I would most enjoy getting to know, probably because he's so believable as the intelligent professionals he often played. Is he still in good health for his age? He certainly seemed to be at the TCM festival a couple of years ago.

Again, thanks so much for meeting with us.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » June 7th, 2015, 10:46 am

I hope you don't mind another question, but as someone who relishes the Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr, I found Richard Anderson's lively portrayal of Lt. Steve Drumm in the last season to be a real hoot--not only did he look properly exasperated with Raymond Burr (and his unruly clients, not to mention that scamp, Paul Drake), but in one of the few action sequences involving Perry, he saved the legendary lawyer's life!

Was that particular scene and role one that he enjoyed? I read an interview with Raymond Burr late in his life when this excellent actor expressed some real regret about taking this demanding, typecasting role. Did Mr. Anderson note any evidence of that while working with Burr on the series?

Also, what were his impressions during his earlier experience working with director Frank Tuttle, Burr and Natalie Wood on the noirish feature film, A Cry in the Night (1956)?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » June 7th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Raymond Burr and Richard Anderson in Perry Mason

That's a great question, Moira!
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2020

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » June 7th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Al, I know Richard Anderson had several appearances on The Big Valley, so he must have been fairly well-acquainted with lee Majors before his appearance on The Six Million Dollar Man. Did they have a close friendship, or was it more of a working relationship?

Also, how did he like working with Barbara Stanwyck?

Thanks in advance for your responses, Al.

Mrs. Osborne

Postby Mrs. Osborne » June 7th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Al

I love how Mr. Anderson dealt with his marriages and divorces in the book: just as classy as he is - he is so positive and is not negative about anyone.
Did he discuss his mother in law Norma Shearer with you?
I remember calling him once to ask her real birthdate and year for a script I was working on and he chuckled and said:
"We''ll never know."
Those MGM ladies did NOT tell!!

Thanks!
Alexa

CineMaven

Postby CineMaven » June 7th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Hello there Mr. Doshna, and thank you for extending your time to our "Oasis."

With Mr. Anderson...did he have a preference for working in television or the movies? Is he from the era that looked down upon acting for tv and did it out of necessity or...is acting, acting? I've always enjoyed the quiet gravitas of his portrayals. Thanks again.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

Al Doshna

Postby Al Doshna » June 7th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Al Doshna

Postby Al Doshna » June 7th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Al Doshna

Postby Al Doshna » June 7th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Last edited by Al Doshna on June 7th, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lzcutter
Administrator

Postby Lzcutter » June 7th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Hey Al,

Thanks again for joining us this weekend!

I think this might have gotten lost in the mix (if it was answered and I missed it, my apologies!).

I have a question for you- how did you meet Richard Anderson and what was it like working on the book with him?

Thanks again!

Back to packing for me!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Al Doshna

Postby Al Doshna » June 7th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Al Doshna

Postby Al Doshna » June 7th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Al Doshna

Postby Al Doshna » June 7th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Return to “Archived Guest Stars”