WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Can't something be done to brighten the image on your computer?

I managed to lay my hands on a copy of The Gold Rush which didn't have the spoken narrative at last. :)

Even though I'm not a big slapstick fan I love Chaplin for many reasons, and one of them is that a lot of his comedy is very dark. The scene where they're eating the shoe has so much horror really, and it's perfect. This isn't my favourite Chaplin feature - that's Modern Times - but I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm glad I finally got to see it!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I watched recently Frank Borzage's The Lady (1925) with Norma Talmadge. More precisely, the fragments that remain of the film. I am a great Borzage fan and I wasn't disappointed by this melodrama. In spite of all its clichés, Borzage managed to transcend its melodramatic script to give his usual humanity and tenderness.
'The Lady' (Norma Talmadge) of the title is anything but one. She runs a seedy little bar in a city with a big harbour. She tells one customer the story of her life. She was once a star of the London music halls. She married an upper-class man, but, the marriage quickly desintegrated. Se was left alone with a baby to care for. She ends up working in a very seedy place until the her former husband's father turns up to take the child away from her......
As you can see, this is really 'high melodrama'! But, Borzage finds just the right tone to capture the destiny of the 'Lady'. I had only seen one Norma Talmadge feature before (and it was a comedy!) and I was really impressed by her performance: going from tears to laugh, she was smashing (in spite of the very poor quality of the print)! I just wished some of her pictures where available on DVD!!! This is really disgraceful to think that one of the biggest silent actresses is still unknown to the wider public. :cry:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Yes, I have never been able to understand why Norma's, or for that matter her sister Constance's films have never been restored. She was a huge star in her day! Generally she played the serious parts and Connie the comedies, but Norma could do either! It's really a disgrace! :cry:
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've not had as much time to be on the forum this weekend because we've had a bank holiday and also a little good weather and have been able to have the barbecue out, here's hoping it lasts :D I have been watching a few late night films.

The first was Freaks a film I'd heard of and decided I'd never watch due to the subject matter. Two things changed my mind I watched The Show directed by Todd Browning and I read an article about Freaks. It wasn't quite what I'd expected. It wasn't just a film about 'freaks' but concentrated more on the honour amongst them and how they bonded together and how they treated an outsider who threatened one of them. It is a dark movie but I'm not sure I'd class it as horror. I was quite amazed both at the dexterity of some of the actors and also the nature of their deformities. A remarkable piece of filmmaking.

I needed something lighter after that so I chose Raffles with Ronald Colman. It's an early talkie and demonstrates so well why Ronald Colman made the transition so easily. Ronald Colman is Raffles or 'The Amateur Cracksman' who decides to retire to marry his sweetheart but he has to take on one last job to help a friend out of trouble. He is pursued by a Scotland Yard detective whose job it is to protect country houses from burglars like Raffles. Ronald gets caught in the end both by his very forgiving girlfiend played by Kay Francis and by the detective. I don't believe in spoiling the end. It's light and frothy and a perfect comedy from the precode era.

Time for a silent so I chose City Girl complete with good soundtrack. Murnau does a marvellous job both in the scenes in the city (I love his presentation of the cafe where Kate works) and of the farmland. Charles Farrell comes to the city to sell his fathers wheat crop he sells it short as the wheat prices are falling and marries a girl to boot. This doesn't go down well with father who is annoyed both about the grain price and about the loose gilr who has taken up with his son. It's nothing of the sort, the girl, Kate played by Mary Duncan is in love with Lem played by Charles Farrell and the depiction of their relationship is so touching. Another great film from Murnau.

I'd be interested if anyone knew what kind of cafe/restuarant that is in the beginning of City Girl. It seems to be the type where only men were served and then with a quick turnaround.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, Fairbanks' 1921 version of The Three Musketeers. If anyone is interested I wrote my complete thoughts on my confessions thread. Wonderful film with a runtime of 118 minutes that absolutely flies by. I was not familiar with Nigel De Brulter, the man who portrayed Cardinal Richelieu, but he was a fantastic, multi-layered villain. Even in defeat he was schemimg for the future.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
charliechaplinfan

I'm going to the Confessions thread after this one.

Last night I watched The Chess Player I thought it was a little slow at first but then it really picked up. The costumes were fabulous, the scenes well constructed and when it came to the battle scenes, they were some of the best I've seen put on film. I don't know how it was achieved but I really felt drawn into the battle, superimposed over it were scenes of Edith Jehanne playing the Polish anthem. Stirring stuff.

The second half of the film was the best half, Boseslas played by Pierre Blanchar is on the run from the Russians but to get away he hides in an automaton created by his guardian. The automaton is a master chess player (well Boseslas is) this is the ticket out of the Russian occupied zone but the automaton is too successful and is brought to Catherines court. What ensues is like a Hoffman fairytale. It's beautifully filmed.

To make the film even better, the score is conducted by Carl Davis and is so stirring. I'd recommend this film to any newcomer to silents. :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Well I finished watching the 1933-34 masterful French version of "Les Misérables" directed by Raymond Bernard (281 minutes in all) and this is what I felt upon watching it:

First of all I must admit that my interest in watching all the film versions based upon Victor Hugo's book (which I have never read) that I can -especially the older ones- comes from my huge curiosity about my dad's sudden fondness for it -I'd dare to say "fixation"- ever since he saw the Broadway show based upon it. It is undoubtedly his favorite show, movie et al of all time.

This version is by far the longest I have witnessed and it's divided in three parts: "Tempest in a Skull", "The Thénardiers" and "Liberty, Sweet Liberty".

Although I have not read the book I feel that this film must be the nearest in spirit to the novel. It's devoid of the "glamour" present in some aspects of the other versions I have seen; it's closer in the depiction of the harshness and grittiness of its subject theme and the hardships endured by most of its characters.

This film shows in a more detailed way all the implications of the plot in relation with the "Thénardiers" or "Jondrettes" (especially in its second part), including their two daughters and son, most notably the doomed Eponine, who as played by Orane Demazis is so different from the glamorous, beautiful and fancy character, that beautiful Frances Drake impersonated in the 1935 film by Richard Boleslawski.

There are also other characters and events which are scarcely mentioned or omitted in the shorters versions, like the 1935 and 1952 Hollywood films, starring Fredric March an Michael Rennie, respectively; ie: Marius' grandfather.

On the other hand, certain parts or scenes which are included in those shorter versions are not showed in this 1933 classic film, because I understand that they were not featured in the book, like the first scenes in which Valjean was condemned and his stay at the prison.

Although I'm not sure, I feel that most of the actors featured in this version had a strong theatrical background, which shows in their skilled performances, which for that same reason are maybe less "cinematic" in a way.

I also think that cat and mouse chase of Valjean by Javert is not as strongly displayed as in the 1935 film; maybe it's more close to the spirit of Victor Hugo's book, but I feel that in that respect this version lacks the oppressiveness I felt upon watching Javert's obsession (as played by Laughton and featured in that film's script) with duty and capturing Valjean. Maybe the Hollywood version can be regarded as too far-fetched in that respect, but it worked for me. Charles Vanel hasn't the commanding screen presence of Charles Laughton.

Harry Baur, though, is the definitive Valjean in all aspects and is brilliant. His performance is by far the best in the film. Simply superb! It's a pity to read about all the hardships this actor endured under the Nazi occupation of his native France that ended in his murder by the Gestapo.

Legendary Marguerite Moreno and Charles Dullin are sublime as the utterly despicable and repelent Thénardiers. They were really frightening to behold! Mme. Moreno would have been perfect as Madame Defarge or La Vengeance in "A Tale of Two Cities".

The little boy who plays Gavroche, who we learn here is the youngest son of the Thénardiers, gives a truly memorable, spirited, impressive performance, full of energy and dramatism.

The final scenes featuring Baur are very touching and realistically played.

In all, an excellent work, a tour-de-force by Harry Baur and maybe the closest film version in spirit and detail to its source. A must-see.

Thanks again Chrstine for recommending this work of art to me! :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I am really happy you enjoyed it Fernando! :D
Baur is an amazing actor. The director Raymond Bernard made also some great silents like The Chess Player (Le Joueur d'Echec) that Alison reviewed just above you. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:I am really happy you enjoyed it Fernando! :D
Baur is an amazing actor. The director Raymond Bernard made also some great silents like The Chess Player (Le Joueur d'Echec) that Alison reviewed just above you. :wink:
What a coincidence! When I watch the other Bernard film included in the Eclipse DVD release, "Wooden Crosses", I'll let you know my opinion of it.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Wooden Crosses (Les Croix de bois) is a very realistic recreation of WWI and its horrors. Hollywood produced a remake (where they added a love story!!!) called The Road to Glory (1936) by H. Hawks with Fredric March & Warner Baxter.
charliechaplinfan

I've just finished watching Regeneration directed by Raoul Walsh in 1915 for the Fox Film Corporation. It's left an indelible impression on me. Perhaps I didn't expect as much from a film made so early. However it's very well constructed and filmed in The Bowery New York, real hoodlums as extras.

The story revolved around a little boy named Owen who's Mother dies, he goes to live with his neighbours who abuse him. When he grows he joins the gangs and then rises in senority. Everything changes around him when he comes into contact with Marie Deering played by Anna Q Nillson. He sees in her the good qualities that were in his mother and he remembers how to live a good life. He reforms, starts getting an education and falls in love with Marie Deering. He is forced to cover for one of the gang but Marie forgives him but it leads her into the clutches of Skinny one of the gang members.

I've read much of how Griffith was the frontrunner in American movies but Raoul Walsh learned his lessons quickly as this film flows so well, has atomosphere in spades and feels like a real social history lesson.

One thing to add Rockliffe Fellowes who plays OWen is a dead ringer for Marlon Brando, to be more precise imagine Marlon as Vito Corleone but younger and you've got your lead actor.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:Wooden Crosses (Les Croix de bois) is a very realistic recreation of WWI and its horrors. Hollywood produced a remake (where they added a love story!!!) called The Road to Glory (1936) by H. Hawks with Fredric March & Warner Baxter.
Thanks for that info.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday, I watched W.S. Van Dyke's Night Court (1932) with Walter Huston, Phillips Holmes and Anita Page. I enjoyed the film enormously: it's far grittier than the usual MGM drama. For once, dear Walter played an unremitting villain; he is crooked to the core. Being in charge of a night court, he takes advantage of his prominent position to take bribes from gangsters while having a whole network of crooks (lawyers, judges, etc...). His system is suddenly shaken when a judge starts to inquire about him. He frames Phillips Holmes' innocent young wife (Anita Page) and takes their baby away when he discovers she knows about his dirty money account...
Phillips Holmes is the young taxi driver whose whole life is nearly destroyed by Huston's dirty deeds. He is far more pro-active than in the other films I have seen him in. As for Huston, he plays -as usual- brilliantly. Using his 'honest image', he is scheming and devious, unrelenting in his crookedness. A pre-code definitely worth investigating! 8)
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

CCfan wrote:
I've read much of how Griffith was the frontrunner in American movies but Raoul Walsh learned his lessons quickly as this film flows so well, has atomosphere in spades and feels like a real social history lesson.
Isn't it right that like many others, Raoul Walsh got his first break with Griffith? I know that he played John Wilkes Booth in The Birth of a Nation, so he would have gotten an opportunity there to study Griffiths techniques.

Thanks to Alison, aka Charliechaplinfan, I got to see the rare documentary D. W. Griffith: Father of Film. It's a very good documentary, which gives a pretty fair presentation of D. W. Griffith's life and work, and the importance of his films to the development of the art of the motion picture. I missed a section about his "lesser" films, like True Heart Susie and A Romance in Happy Valley, which supposedly contained so many autobiographical bits. But the documentary focuses on his more famous masterpieces, and gives them all the time they deserve. It's a very good documentary over all, highly recommended.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:Yesterday, I watched W.S. Van Dyke's Night Court (1932) with Walter Huston, Phillips Holmes and Anita Page. I enjoyed the film enormously: it's far grittier than the usual MGM drama. For once, dear Walter played an unremitting villain; he is crooked to the core. Being in charge of a night court, he takes advantage of his prominent position to take bribes from gangsters while having a whole network of crooks (lawyers, judges, etc...). His system is suddenly shaken when a judge starts to inquire about him. He frames Phillips Holmes' innocent young wife (Anita Page) and takes their baby away when he discovers she knows about his dirty money account...
Phillips Holmes is the young taxi driver whose whole life is nearly destroyed by Huston's dirty deeds. He is far more pro-active than in the other films I have seen him in. As for Huston, he plays -as usual- brilliantly. Using his 'honest image', he is scheming and devious, unrelenting in his crookedness. A pre-code definitely worth investigating! 8)
I was also pleasantly surprised by this excellent Pre-Code when I saw it. And I also think it contains one of Phillips' Holmes best & liveliest performances :D