WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Gagman 66

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:cry: Wanted to be sure to point out that as great as HOLLYWOOD is, the documentary is misleading regarding Harold Lloyd and SAFETY LAST. Fortunately, this is all cleared up in Brownlow's HAROLD LLOYD THE THIRD GENIUS documentary. The only time Harold has ever doubled in SAFETY LAST (and my Bill strothers, not Harvey Perry), was in the long shots on the real buildings. Harold did indeed to all the rest of the climb himself.

Everyone,

:D Incidentally, I've been meaning to mention this here. Kevin Brownlow and Patrick Stanbury's Photoplay Productions celebrating it's 20th Anniversary, has a newly updated website for 2010. Here is the link.

http://www.photoplay.co.uk
Last edited by Gagman 66 on February 9th, 2010, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that piece of information Jeffrey. Hollywood is indeed great to the nth degree. Nothing can top it.
drednm

Post by drednm »

If you liked HOLLYWOOD, you need to seek out Brownlow and Gill's DW GRIFFITH: THE FATHER OF FILM...... also superb.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think all Photoplay's documentaries are really good.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Alison,

:( Alas, HOLLYWOOD is not owned by Photoplay Productions. That is one of the numerous complications with getting this out on DVD. Notice that it is not even listed among the documentaries on the Photoplay web site? I don't remember what the story is exactly, but Brownlow and David Gill produced the series for Thames Television, and have never had the rights to the series. Even though Thames has been gone for a long time.

Ed,

:) Yes the Griffith documentary of course features allot of interview footage that was not used in Thames HOLLLYWOOD. And Carl Davis Main-title theme for FATHER OF FILM is amazing. Just as memorable as the main-title music for HOLLYWOOD. if not more so. Just fabulous. Unlike Hollywood, this is on DVD from Kino; and probably Eureka in the UK as well.

Fernando,

:| I neglected to mention. Harvey Perry doubled Harold in the long shots of FEET FIRST, but not SAFETY LAST. And only in the long shots on the real buildings. Perry himself wanted this to be understood later on. Lloyd did everything else himself, even withjust the three fingers on this right hand.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on February 9th, 2010, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drednm

Post by drednm »

The whole opening sequence to FATHER OF FILM is excellent.... clever graphics and great Carl Davis music.....
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Has anyone seen Photoplay's documentary Universal Horror? Was it ever available on home video? Since Kevin Brownlow and his team produce the very best documentaries on early cinema, this is one I'd love to see.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

Again folks, thanks for all the info and recommendations. I'll look for the documentary you mentioned Drednm.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

MichJ, I think the UNIVERSAL HORROR is being included on all of the recent Universal Monster Anniversary or Special Edition BONUS disks. DRAC, FRANK & MUMMY all have 75th Anniv versions which I picked up, and the Bonus Disk of each is mostly the Universal Horror documentary, plus a 10-20 min specific about each 'host' film. Also, the "special edition" THE WOLF MAN (1941) has it on that Bonus Disk, too.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Ollie wrote:MichJ, I think the UNIVERSAL HORROR is being included on all of the recent Universal Monster Anniversary or Special Edition BONUS disks. DRAC, FRANK & MUMMY all have 75th Anniv versions which I picked up, and the Bonus Disk of each is mostly the Universal Horror documentary, plus a 10-20 min specific about each 'host' film. Also, the "special edition" THE WOLF MAN (1941) has it on that Bonus Disk, too.
Ollie!

Many thanks! I passed on these originally, because I already had the films on DVD...some of them twice! But I'm in for one more go-round for the documentary.
Thanks again.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

I watched the fascinating American Madness last night, it could be updated for modern times. I work in a bank, for my sins and believe me, not much has changed in locking the money away at night. I don't know whether I should be worried about that? The film flowed well, picking up it's pace after the first 15 minutes, it was a bit predictable but that didn't detract from it the viewing. I was caught by the sights of all the people crushing into the bank, I was waiting for a George Bailey to start handing out his savings but that wasn't going to happen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I watched the fascinating American Madness last night, it could be updated for modern times. I work in a bank, for my sins and believe me, not much has changed in locking the money away at night. I don't know whether I should be worried about that? The film flowed well, picking up it's pace after the first 15 minutes, it was a bit predictable but that didn't detract from it the viewing. I was caught by the sights of all the people crushing into the bank, I was waiting for a George Bailey to start handing out his savings but that wasn't going to happen.
Great Movie!
charliechaplinfan

It was a lovely clear copy, it's amazing to think it's 80 years old.
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:It was a lovely clear copy, it's amazing to think it's 80 years old.
Yes indeed.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

How are all of you seeing Hollywood - buying it? I can't find it on World Cat thru the library.
B