WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks so much for this review of Man's Castle, Fernando. As you may be aware, TCM just announced that on June 30th this Frank Borzage film will finally be shown on their network, so maybe many more of us will have a chance to see this movie.
Welcome Moira!

I noticed yesterday that TCM is going to air it. It's fantastic!! :D
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I finally got around to seeing the classic Soviet silent "Arsenal," directed by Dovzhenko, considered the third genius of the Soviet silent era.

"Arsenal" was interesting in that at times it seemed plotless, just a look at World War I and Revolution in Ukraine, and at times it did seem to have a "hero" to follow. The images were arresting.

The odd thing about seeing the movie now is that the film takes an arch view of Ukrainian nationalism, implying that it is meaningless to the lives of real people. Yet today, of course, Ukraine is independent and the USSR is gone.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You must catch it Moira, it is a wonderful movie :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

Going back a few posts to where Ann Harding and feaito were discussing the lack of Frank Borzage on DVD, I got an email from the British Film Institute last month which said:

SEVENTH HEAVEN and LUCKY STAR have finally made it into this year's schedule (probably for the autumn). We have been held up by contractual problems regarding the score for LUCKY STAR.

I suggest you keep an eye on our website for up-to-date information regarding new releases...

I know there have been rumours of the BFI releasing a Borzage trilogy for a couple of years, and it finally looks like it's going to happen (well, minus Street Angel). Fingers crossed! Their website is www.bfi.org.uk, by the way.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks Phil.
It's great to hear that more Borzage films are likely to show up on dvd (even if they are the Region 2 variety). Btw, a hearty welcome to you. I love your name and avatar.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

That's good news. I've never seen Lucky Star, I'd really love to :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Those are fantastic news Phil :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Good news!!! :D
BTW Seventh Heaven is already available on DVD R2 in Spain: Here
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

I cannot wait for Lucky Star to come out! Everything I've read about this film and all the stills I've seen from it make me sure I'll love it.

Given that it's a Frank Borzage film, and that Charles Farrell returns from the war in a wheelchair, what's the betting that love will enable him to walk again?!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Phil Noir,

:o I have LUCKY STAR on DVD-R. The quality is decent, but it was taped from a 1994 French Television broadcast. This film was considered completely lost until 1991, when a incomplete print was found in a Netherlands archive. It is a wonderful film. But I am puzzled, it was my understanding that the original Movie-tone track had yet to be found? Also the final Two-reels, with tacked on dialogue had been considered as still lost? Are you saying that this material has since been discovered?

:) STREET ANGEL is one of the great Movies ever made, so I would hope that it would be included as well? I just love the film, and have longed to see a nicely restored print appear, with it's Movie-tone track intact. I think it's even better than SEVENTH HEAVEN, though both are magnificent films.

:? Borzage, or Janet Gaynor, both deserve lovingly produced DVD Box-set's from Fox. So does Charles Farrell, with films like FAZIL and THE RED DANCE not having been seen for decades!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Gagman, I have that very same Lucky Star taped on 1994 on French TV. It didn't look as if any reel was missing. :?:

Today, I have been very pleased to discover on a big screen F.W. Murnau's City Girl (1929) with Charles Farrell and Mary Duncan. After their sizzling partnership in Borzage's The River, they are together again for this superb Murnau.
Kate (M. Duncan) is waitress in Chicago where she meets the very shy lem (C. Farrell) who came to the city to sell the wheat crop for his overbearing father. They get married quickly and go back together to the family farm in Minnesota. The father (Ernest Torrence) is furious and slaps Kate's face.....
Murnau examined the life of country vs city people. Ernest Torrence's character is brilliantly delineated: bible reading and a complete miser regarding his wheat crop. Mary Duncan offers a fantastic contrast to the shy Farrell: she just smoulders. Murnau offers another masterpiece after Sunrise and 4 Devils. Why is this film not on DVD ????
charliechaplinfan

Christine, City Girl sounds wonderful. I watched the documentary of The River DVD and it really stood out as a film. I'm glad you got to see it.

BTW doesn't Ernest Torrence turn up in an awful lot of silent movies :)
bdp

Post by bdp »

Actually it's not Ernest Torrance in City Girl, it's David Torrance. Great movie though, Mary Duncan is as incandescent here as in The River.
charliechaplinfan

I love that avatar, bdp :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

bdp wrote:Actually it's not Ernest Torrance in City Girl, it's David Torrance. Great movie though, Mary Duncan is as incandescent here as in The River.
Thanks for the correction, Kyle! Actually, I misread the titles yesterday....During the whole film, I was thinking how much Ernest looked like David!!! :lol: