More early talkies coming from Warner Home Video?

CoffeeDan

More early talkies coming from Warner Home Video?

Post by CoffeeDan »

Ron Hutchinson of the Vitaphone Project posted this at the Al Jolson Forum (in response to a query about a DVD of THE SINGING FOOL), and I thought I'd repost it here:

As I worked with WB on THE JAZZ SINGER DVD set, I can give a little perspective on next plans.

THE JAZZ SINGER set was never going to have any other features, and its production is a monument to produce George Feltenstein's vision and tenacity. Clearly, this was not something the top execs would ever rubber stamp. This was in many ways a test set not just on Jolson, but for the market in vintage Vitaphone shorts and early talkies in general. No other studio has, or is currently planning, anything like THE JAZZ SINGER set. Since the sales were extremely good, it at least provides proof there is a market for more vintage early talkie material and particularly 1926-30 shorts.

There are no firm plans yet on what the follow-up will be, but I am confident there will be one. Likely there will be one or two "anchor" 1928-30 features surrounded by a large number of shorts and other early talkie material. One non-Jolson feature I have suggested is SHOWGIRL IN HOLLYWOOD (1930) starring Alice White. We screened it at Cinefest and it is quite good, with lots of shots around the First National lot.

I will let you know if I hear anything further that can be shared. For now, ferret out anyone you know who has still not bought THE JAZZ SINGER set!

Ron.
drednm

Post by drednm »

interesting.... I like SHOW GIRL IN HOLLYWOOD although I know others who don't like it at all.... Alice White and Blanche Sweet are really good in this one..... it would be nice to see a DVD of this film
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

The comments about 'sales success' gives me great hope that more of these will be put onto home-video. I hope the biz managers realize classics fall in a different profit-model or profit-cycle than new-film DVDs do - classics will sell for years and decades even if they don't sell-out in the first week, unlike the profit models for the BIMBOS GONE WILD DVD #318 Special Edition Directors' Uncut Version #14.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Showgirl in Hollywood sounds like an interesting piece of Hollywood history, at any rate. It's a great meta moment when Blanche Sweet sings about what it's like to be a has-been at the age of 32. I've seen the song number There's a Tear for Every Smile in Hollywood on youtube. If it's a movie about movie making from 1930 I would love to see it.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Here are a couple of numbers.

drednm

Post by drednm »

plus SHOW GIRL has an almost documentary quality (almost) in that we get to see a lot of the "behind the scenes" Warners Studio and filmmaking.... and yes the Blanche Sweet number is a knockout.