THE DOLL (1920)

Gagman 66

THE DOLL (1920)

Post by Gagman 66 »

:lol: Very funny, and charming, German Comedy/Fantasy from the great Ernst Lubitsch. The Baron of the Toy-box country is afraid He has seen his last days, and tries to persuade his nephew Lancelot, to Marry and carry on the family line. Soon it is revealed that The boy is positively petrified of girls. Every eligible young maiden attempts to chase him down all at once. He manages to elude the stampede of femininity, and seeks refuge in a convent.

:shock: The Monks who have some mighty hearty eating habits, are seeking the means to continue to stuff themselves. When they learn the boy will be paid 300,000 francs to return and choose a bride, they devise a scheme to cash in. Lancelot is encouraged to venture to a famous Life-size Mechanical Doll-maker. For coming up with the idea, in return the Monk's will pocket the loot! After-all, that 300, 000 francs will buy allot of fresh pickled pig -knuckles!

:? The idea being, Lancelot should be able to pass off one of the fine designer creations as the real thing to his Uncle? Trouble is, due to some unforeseen complications "The Doll, Ossi" is the real thing! When the true doll loses an arm, the actual flesh and blood daughter who the robot is based on takes her place! Ossi believes that this is all just temporary, while the doll is being repaired by her Fathers assistant, . But, soon she ends up being taken back to the royal court to wed the prince!

:wink: During The carriage ride to the palace Ossi quickly falls for Lancelot, despite his obvious stupidity! Next, getting her into a wedding dress is a bit of a struggle. Still the Bride proves the life-of the party, as soon as her new Hubby's back is turned. Somehow she manages to maintain the illusion to him that she is still just a machine. When the startled Doll-maker discovers He has inadvertently sold his own daughter to Lancelot rather than a reasonable facsimile, it stands his hair on end! And our story isn't over yet!

:) Ossi Oswalda Stars as "Ossi, The Doll". She was known as "The German Mary Pickford", and is a truly delightful comedienne in this rare little jewel of a film.

:o THE DOLL is the latest release in the "Lubitsch in Berlin" DVD series from Kino. This unique production goes a long ways to illustrating why Lubitsch was, and still is among the true masters of the cinema! Highly recommended, although my favorite title in the series so far is probably the hilarious comedy THE OYSTER PRINCESS" (1919) which also starred the intriguing Miss Ossi Oswalda. Some Wonderful stuff to be sure! A great series, and MADAME DU BARRY (1919) with Pola Negri, and Emil Jannings likely will be coming soon!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You'va captured the essence of The Doll perfectly. It had me chuckling, the monks never seem to have a burst of conscience about marrying the boy off to a doll and using his money.

Along with The Oyster Princess it is my favorite silent Lubitsch film so far. He had more of a talent for comedy than drama.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Lubitsch is priceless! I agree with Alison about his comedies being his true voice. He had a off the wall sense of humor!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I recently saw The Doll, and agree with everyone that it is wonderfully funny and Lubitsch was certainly a great comedy director (I particularly like the way he introduces the story, literally buliding the set and placing the actors).

Ossi Oswalda is fabulous in this and The Oyster Princess. Does anyone know if any of her other films survive and are available?
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kevin,

:roll: I am afraid that these are the only two Ossi Oswalda comedies that I have seen so far. I sure hope more still survive as well!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MichiganJ wrote:Ossi Oswalda is fabulous in this and The Oyster Princess. Does anyone know if any of her other films survive and are available?
I saw recently Schuhpalast Pinkus (1916) on a big screen, Ossie's first Lubitsch comedy (not on DVD). It was delightful. 8) You can also see her in Ich möchte kein Mann sein (1918) which is available on DVD. Beside these, there is Das Fidele Gefängnis (1917) (available as supplement on Criterion Trouble in Paradise).

Not available on DVD, but still extant: Meyer aus Berlin (1919)
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Thanks, Ann Harding, I actually have both I Don’t Want to Be a Man and The Merry Jail, and somehow forgot that Ossi was in them!

I recall that I while I liked I Don’t Want to Be a Man, Lubitsch missed a lot of opportunities to expand the cross-dressing comedy. With the premise, and Oswalda’s performance, the potential was there for a lot more fun.

I haven’t watched The Merry Jail in a while, but I remember Emil Jannings having enormous fun eating up the scenery as only Jannings can. I’ll have to revisit this film and watch out for Ossi.

I hope the other films you listed become available soon. Any idea if any of Ossi’s films directed by anyone other than Lubitsch still exist?
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MichiganJ wrote:Any idea if any of Ossi’s films directed by anyone other than Lubitsch still exist?
I don't know. Recently I leafed through a French movie magazine from 1927 and saw several pictures of Ossie in comedies. So in 1927, she was still active in silent pictures in Germany without Lubitsch. But I have no idea if any of her films have survived....
rogerskarsten

Post by rogerskarsten »

I searched the "Treasures from Film Archives" database for films featuring Ossi Oswalda, and 19 titles came up. There may be more out there somewhere (for instance, Meyer aus Berlin is not listed). Here are the films in alphabetical order, as they appeared in the database (title, director, country, year, archival holding):

AMOR AM STEUER Janson, Victor Germany 1921
Gosfilmofond of Russia (Moscow) [RUR]

AUSTERNPRINZESSIN, DIE Lubitsch, Ernst Germany 1919
Bundesarchiv-Filmarchiv (Berlin) [DEB]

BLITZZUG DER LIEBE Guter, Johannes Germany 1925
Gosfilmofond of Russia (Moscow) [RUR]

COLIBRI Janson, Victor Germany 1924
Deutsche Kinemathek (Berlin) [DEK]

DEM LICHT ENTGEGEN Germany 1918
Filmmuseum/Münchner Stadtmuseum (München) [DEI]

EDDY POLO MIT PFERD UND LASSO Polo, Eddie Germany 1928
Cinémathèque Royale (Bruxelles) [BEB]