The Top 10 Female Stars Of 1928?

Gagman 66

She Had "IT", Ode To Clara Bow

Post by Gagman 66 »

:oops: Far and away the leading vote getter in the November 1928 Moving Picture World Magazine poll of distributors, and theater owners. This lady was unanimously named as the most popular, and profitable Star, as well as the biggest box office attraction in the land!

Drum Roll Please........ Here She is, "The IT Girl" Clara Bow!!!

Clara Bow, Rise And Shine! From CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927)

Clara Bow, Coffee Maiden

Clara Bow, Outdoors of Estate

Clara Bow, Just A Tad Pouty

Clara Bow, Luminous Gaze

Clara Bow, Leopard Skins

Clara Bow, A We Bit a Touch O' the Irish!

Clara Bow, Another Cute Outfit

Clara Bow, Evil Pixie-Legs On A Box :oops:

Clara Bow, Farm Fresh Glance

Clara Bow, Steamy Dance Of Passion! LO!!!! :oops: :oops:

Clara Bow. A Winning Hand!

Clara Bow, Terrific Bed Side Manner :oops: :shock: :oops:

Clara Bow, Devastating Smile!

Clara Bow, Welcome To My Igloo!!! 8)

Clara Bow, Ooooo, Rotten old Paramount! Where the Heck are my Movies??? :evil:
Last edited by Gagman 66 on September 23rd, 2008, 12:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I don't know much about colorization at all. How do you determine shades of eye color?
Curiously,
Birdy
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Birdy,

:( Err, I did some of these just recently and others months ago. As you can see Clara's eye color is inconsistent throughout. Her eyes were actually Brown, so I will need to go back and fix all the ones where I made her eyes blue. This should be relatively simple though. Trouble is, I will have to post them all over again.

Now I need to find out the color of Delores Costello's eyes. I have used both Green, and Brown, and I believe that they were likely one of the other? I have a whole bunch of photo's of her I have done.

:shock: With Colleen Moore, I used both Green, and Brown, because that was the color of her eyes! She had one of each!
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Great pics!!

I love the caption "Ooh Paramount, where the heck are my movies?"

Spot on Jeff :lol:
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Interesting about the eye color; I didn't notice some were different. The hair is fabulous. Not many girls can wear a head of hair like that, can they? Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. B
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Birdy,

Here are a couple more really Fun Photos!

Pssst, I like you allot better than Lew Cody!!! :lol:

Almost Christmas! :wink:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I love the negligee and the igloo - what a riot!
Baby, it's cold outside!
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

It's not a surprise to see Clara and Colleen at the top - everything I've seen indicates they were the two top women stars of the second half of the 1920's but I am surprised to see Bebe and Billie right behind them because I never knew they were box office stars at all though I knew they had followings.

I adore Laura La Plante - about the most contemporary silent star you could imagine and I'm excited to hear of more of her films being saved. She was a doll and very kind to fans even in her final years, signing pictures (often in a very frail wobbly signature) while residing at the Motion Picture Home.

I eat this sort of chart data with a spoon - anyway we can have a much longer list of who placed where? Thanks!
Rita Hayworth

Re:

Post by Rita Hayworth »

coopsgirl wrote:Great pics!!

coopsgirl - you are absolutely right on - great pics - gagman66 - I love these

Carla Bow is the greatest female star in the 1920's
Gagman 66

Re: Re:

Post by Gagman 66 »

kingme wrote:
coopsgirl wrote:Great pics!!

coopsgirl - you are absolutely right on - great pics - gagman66 - I love these

Carla Bow is the greatest female star in the 1920's
:D Nice to see this old thread make a comeback. Here are a couple video slide-shows that I did several months ago. One for Clara Bow and another for Colleen Moore. I'll also include my Renee Adoree video, because I just love her so much.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Rita Hayworth

Re: The Top 10 Female Stars Of 1928?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Gagman66

I love these three YOU TUBE videos of Renee, Clara, and Marion (I believe) - these three were the IT girls of their generation - they captured the American's imagination like no other stars can.

One thing, about traveling to CANADA - is that they love their Silent Movie Stars in the roaring twenties, when I was in my late teens through my 30's - I often head to Vancouver (I live in Seattle) to watch these lovely ladies in many hole in a wall theaters and I was treated the likes of Clara Bow, Mary Pickford, Marion Davies, Lillian Gish, and Vilma Banky - these were the IT girls of their generations.

My definition of a IT GIRL is means you captured the imagination of the American/World audience - people talk about you, can't get enough about you, Clara Bow is and always the number one IT GIRL - in the roaring twenty because she has tremendous sex appeal that both sexes can't get enough of. My great-grandfather talk about the animal magnetism of CLARA BOW all the time and these pictures that you shared shows how alluring she was in those days. AN IT GIRL - means that you got it. When you got it - you captured your fancies.

During the 40's when Rita Hayworth was doing GILDA - they ask Clara Bow - what you think about the current IT GIRL - the Love Goddess herself. She said to everyone I REALLY LIKE HER. She got IT APPEAL ... She admires her very much and Clara Bow has charm, beauty, star power, and most of all she made my great-grandfather weak in his knees, women in the 20's wanted to be like her - she has EVERYTHING going for her - because she WAS the IT GIRL - and when you got it - you got it.

These YOU TUBE videos are one of its kind and Gagman66 - I watched these three videos 2-3 times this morning and I wanted to say thanks for sharing it.

Back in early days - I loved Silent Movies Stars - I'm hard of hearing and I have great deal of imagination and you don't need them to talk - but to act with great joy and love so that we can follow along with simple words on the screen - that is why I love Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Clara Bow, Mary Pickford, Marion Davies, Louise Brooks, and others because they know how to entertain with simple gestures, movements, cute facial expressions, and most of all to tell a story so that THEY CAN ENTERTAIN you.

This web site made me to understand the beauty of the Silver Screen - its vastness of topics, the many genres, the complexities of the wide range of subject matters. SSO captures of all of IT. Great Stuff here. :D

Gagman66 - again thanks for sharing these beautifully colorized YOU TUBE videos of the great silent stars - The Females!

Great stuff here.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jeff, your video tributes are a real labor of love. Thanks for sharing them again.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D Thanks everyone. But that is of course Colleen Moore (my first love) not Marion Davies. I'll have to do a Slide-show of Marion sometime. God-willing. Corinne Griffith too. I probably have enough photos of both ladies. I also have a John Gilbert Slide-show I did last Summer. These are the only four slide-shows I have ever worked on. So I just learned as I went along. They are not actually posted on my own channel but rather on a friends. I do have a channel though now with videos on Youtube called Goldenmoviepalace. Here is the Gilbert Slide-show.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Gagman 66 on February 20th, 2011, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

great tribute to John Gilbert! He has become one of my favorite actors, I love Woman of Affairs. What chemistry those two had. WHEW! Thanks, Jeff