Bardelys The Magnificent on French TV next Sunday

Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Ah, that's lovely. :)

No wonder he chose that bit to showcase in another film.
Gagman 66

My Review Of Bardelys

Post by Gagman 66 »

The Return Of Christian de Bardelys! "THE MAGNIFICENT ONE"!

:D You Can't Keep a Good Rogue Down! "The Marquis de Bardelys", "Christian de Bardelys" otherwise known as "BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT" has at long last returned after over 40 years, for an encore! Or actually, after more than 80 years! This 1926 King Vidor Production Starring the Top Male Romantic/Adventure screen Idol of the day John Gilbert, has literally returned from the very dust.

:shock: In 1965, A epic fire decimated the vaults of MGM, wiping out several of the studios biggest films of the Silent Era. Destroying both negatives, and prints. BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT was among these casualties. It has remained a highly sought after lost film since. Made at the height of Gilbert's popularity and box-office prowess.

:o Finally, just last year a forgotten 35 millimeter print turned up in France. David Shepard's Film Preservation Associates, and Lobster Films of Paris wasted no time. They begin an extensive restoration only a few weeks after the print was uncovered. I only wish that other titles would receive as much consideration.

:D Two weeks ago, the newly restored film made it's World Television Premier on France 3 in Europe. The film is not complete as the third reel of this 8 reel feature regrettably could not be selvedge. It has been skillfully re-created using various production stills, and titles derived from the original shooting script of the picture.

8) I have just seen the movie, in-fact I watched it twice already. It's a shame that the missing footage is so pivotal to the story line. The stills are very well done, but oh for that missing reel! Maybe 12-15 minutes is not there? I had heard reports it was only about 5 minutes missing, but it has to be more than this. And an awfully lot happens during those missing sequences.

:lol: I enjoyed the film very much. The tale takes place in XVIIth century France under the reign of Louis XIII. "Christian de Bardely's" is a constant source of Gossip, and wonder. A much loved by the ladies, much loathed by their Husbands Wife stealer, and a favorite of the nobility in the Royal court. An expert fencer, and a first class athlete, few can compete with his physical prowess, and skills.

:roll: This almost seemed like a combination of two John Barrymore features, DON JUAN, and THE BELOVED ROGUE, and yet it was released before both of them, I believe? There is allot of Barrymore, and even touch of Fairbanks in Gilbert's superb performance here. He handles the light comedy well, and it is perfectly blended with the romantic sequences swashbuckling, and romance!

:( King Vidor is one of Hollywood's great woefully under-rated talents. He made many outstanding films and clearly does not get the overall recognition that he justly deserves. It certainly doesn't help that none of his Silent films, even such Masterpieces as THE BIG PARADE, and THE CROWD are on official DVD to date.

:x On route to settle a wager of honor, made by Bardleys long time rival "Count Comte Chatellerault". BARDELYS and his caravan come across a dying man. Who gives him a necklace to take to his Fiancée, Only knowing the man's name, but not understanding the circumstance involved, He heads for an Inn to try and find out more from the people of the village.

The Kings guards enter obviously looking for someone. "This must be the man, the description is the same". As they inquire as to who He is Bardelys becomes agitated. "Is it possible you do not know who I am?", Leader of the guards replies "Who Are you?" To which He boldly professes I am Rene' De Lesperon!" the name that the dying stranger had given him. "Ren' De Lespernon, for crimes against the King, you are under arrest for high treason!"

:evil: Oh, oh, Bardelys is in a spot, He makes a break for it. Managing to fend of the guards, and escape, but is wounded in the process. Pursued, He stumbles unto a prominent residence, owned by rebel supporters. There He receives assistance from a vision of a woman, who tends to his wounds, and hides him from the inquiring Captain of the guard, who Storms in, following a trial of blood, and her father.

:oops: Lordy Mama! Eleanor Boardman as the heroine, the Lady "Roxalanne de Lavedan" looked exceptionally beautiful! Wow! This was around the time that Eleanor became the second Mrs. Vidor. The fair Lady Roxallanne is perhaps the one Woman who may be able to tame Christian's restless heart. Though when they meet neither knows who the other is. Spurned by the Marquis great rival at Court, She is in-fact the very Woman He has pledged his Estate to win within three months time. He is unaware of her identity. Meantime, she and later her father believe him to be the leader of a people's up-rising against the King, and the general aristocracy, of which Bardelys is most definitely a part of.

:) During his convalescence from an injury sustained from falling from a balcony, and just as the Romance between the couple begins to sizzle, Baredlys is mistaken for the rebel leader "Mousier de Lesperon", who's name Bardelys has posthumously assumed, he is arrested for the crime of High Treason! Now He may face the gallows, and public execution! Only one person Christian's dastardly rival 'The Count" can put a stop to it! Naturally, He has no intention of doing so, or of losing the bet! What happens now???

:( Karl Dane's scenes as Christian's right hand man, seem to be lost? He only appeared for maybe a split second or two. Although featured prominently in the stills from the lost footage. His future Comedy partner George K. Arthur, has a much more prominent role.

The remainder of supporting cast, particularly Roy D'Arcy as Gilbert's embittered rival the are superb. All and all BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT while certainly not Gilbert or Vidor's best, is still pretty darn good! And who knows where it might rate in it's entirety?

8) On France 3, Antonio Coppola provided an original Piano score, and it was remarkably good. However, the up coming TCM version, and the Flicker Alley DVD release, will feature a score by Rodney Sauer and his Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind the Coppola score being included too, as an alternate track. It was quite memorable. :wink:
drednm

Post by drednm »

I thought this was a great film. It's got everything. There's plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor (as with Sabbatini's MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE, one of Valentino's more underrated films) and also some terrific action sequences.

John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman are great together. Roy D'Arcy has another memorable role as the bad guy (see THE MERRY WIDOW). Karl Dane and George K. Arthur provide comic relief (so does Gino Corrado in the opening duel sequence). Lionel Belmore and Emily Fitzroy are solid as the Lavedans. Try to find John Wayne and Lou Costello as extras.

The missing reel (?) seems to leave us without the story of Lesperon (who Gilbert masquerades as), but the missing footage doesn't ruin the story.

As has been pointed out, the river seen among the willows is lushly romantic and beautifully done. The escape scene is terrific with great closeups of Gilbert as he swings on tapestries from the castle walls. It would be interesting to know how they shot these scenes.

BARDELYS ranks among Gilbert's best and most entertaining silent films.