Trailer for The Patriot (Ernst Lubitsch, 1928)

myrnaloyisdope

Trailer for The Patriot (Ernst Lubitsch, 1928)

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Hi all, I just uploaded the trailer for Lubitsch's lost film The Patriot to youtube, for anyone who might be interested:

[youtube][/youtube]
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
drednm

Re: Trailer for The Patriot (Ernst Lubitsch, 1928)

Post by drednm »

Thanks for posting this clip.... A famous lost film and it looks quite good. Emil Jannings was an amazing silent actor. Since The Patriot had talking sequences, I wonder who did the talking since Jannings was famous for not speaking English..... Interesting also that it was Lewis Stone who won an Oscar nomination for this film, not Jannings.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you so much, MLID!!! I'm wild to see everything Lubitsch directed,
and keep hoping this "lost" film will turn up one day.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Another tantalizing glimpse at a lost film -- Ernst Lubitsch really knew how to use the moving camera. But for all its critical acclaim, THE PATRIOT was one of the worst box-office flops of 1928. Could that be one reason why it's lost?
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Well, my understanding is that Paramount was among the very worst studios at preserving their silents, so there are missing Lubitsch's, Wellman's, De Mille's, von Sternberg's, not to mention a bunch of Clara Bow films. I realize every studio was neglectful, but Paramount by all accounts was among the worst.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Just a quick note. The Patriot trailer has been released on DVD within the box More Treasures from American Film Archives together with a few other lost films trailers: In the Days of Daniel Boone, The Silent Flyer, The American Venus, The Great Gatsby and Beau Sabreur.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I thought The American Venus supposedly exists somewhere.....
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:? Apparently the Trailer's at the time, were not subject to the same copyright restrictions as the films themselves? This is something I didn't know until just last night.

"Downhearted and Remorseful" :cry: