Kevin Brownlow to receive honorary Oscar!

MichiganJ

Kevin Brownlow to receive honorary Oscar!

Post by MichiganJ »

Three CHEERS for the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for finally recognizing one of film's great historians and preservationists.
http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleas ... 00825.html

(Heck, make it four, no five CHEERS!)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
drednm

Re: Kevin Brownlow to receive honorary Oscar!

Post by drednm »

Yup this news is making quite the BUZZ..... Great news indeed!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Will Godard accept? Somehow I had the impression he wasn't much for film awards, especially the Academy Awards.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This is really good news. The best Oscar that has been awarded in many a year.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, thank goodness they did this before "The Parade's Gone By." I hope to heck they have the smarts to have Kevin Brownlow and the others as part of the actual broadcast of the Oscars, but it is certainly well-deserved. Maybe this means that some more investors will come out of the woodwork to help Brownlow complete some of the projects/documentaries/restorations he has been working on for some time.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
drednm

Post by drednm »

Last year these awards were handed out in November (as they are this year) and only Lauren Bacall and Roger Corman were introduced (in the audience) during the regular awards show..... They got to stand and get applauded at....
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

moirafinnie wrote:I hope to heck they have the smarts to have Kevin Brownlow and the others as part of the actual broadcast of the Oscars
At the very least show them walking down the red carpet. I'd give an awful lot to see Mary Hart ask Godard, "So, who are you wearing?"
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I understand the presentations are posted the day after the event at the Academy website.

In any case, this is really the best news. I can think of no other historian, preservationist, filmmaker and documentarian that deserves an award of this nature more richly than Kevin Brownlow. I think I am not alone in feeling this is something that is long overdue. Nonetheless, it is a real cause for celebration and I will be raising a glass of bubbly when Kevin receives his award.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

rudyfan wrote:I understand the presentations are posted the day after the event at the Academy website.
Their site still has a fair amount of info and photos from last year's Governors Awards.
http://www.oscars.org/awards/governors/index.html

While this really is great news for Kevin Brownlow, it's almost even better news for classic film fans, and more specifically, silent film fans. This high profile award will surely bring Film Preservation into the spotlight, and, as with everything that involves Kevin Brownlow, will no-doubt bring curious folks to Silent Film, turning many, I'm sure, into silent film fans.

At the very least, with Brownlow and Coppola in the same room, maybe eating at the same table, hopefully someone will get the idea that dessert must be (a complete) Napoleon---on DVD!
feaito

Post by feaito »

rudyfan wrote:In any case, this is really the best news. I can think of no other historian, preservationist, filmmaker and documentarian that deserves an award of this nature more richly than Kevin Brownlow. I think I am not alone in feeling this is something that is long overdue. Nonetheless, it is a real cause for celebration and I will be raising a glass of bubbly when Kevin receives his award.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Donna. Kevin Brownlow definitely deserves the award.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MichiganJ wrote: At the very least, with Brownlow and Coppola in the same room, maybe eating at the same table, hopefully someone will get the idea that dessert must be (a complete) Napoleon---on DVD!
Amen to that!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

After coming to that agreement, perhaps Francis will go the extra mile and fund Brownlow's dream documentary on Doug, Sr.

A girl can dream.

I am over the moon at this news. I wrote a post about a year ago on how he deserved this award. I am thrilled it is coming to pass while he is still with us to accept it and accept the kudos of grateful film lovers everywhere!

Now, if TCM would spotlight him and a Doug, Sr film at next year's film festival I might never come down from this high.

As I said, a girl can dream!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

An interesting lecture by Mr. Brownlow given in May. Among other things he confesses he's responsible for the loss of one of Louise Brooks' films. That loss is mitigated when he tells of sharing Louise's bed!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I believe that Mr. Brownlow's award will be presented at a dinner, not at the awards show broadcast. I don't know how much of that will appear in the actual awards show, or if they will allow him to take a bow during the broadcast. If they do, I think they will be surprised at how large an ovation he will get.

My sister is working on a tribute to Mr. Brownlow, to be shown at the dinner.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The ceremony is Saturday night. Congratulations Mr. Brownlow!
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 0941.story