The Garden of Eden (1928)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Garden of Eden (1928)

Post by moira finnie »

The Garden of Eden (1928) was on Silent Sunday last week on TCM. It featured Corinne Griffith and the charming Louise Dresser. I don't think I've seen either actress before. A Lubitsch-style fairy tale about a girl who aspires to be an opera singer, but finds that reality is somewhat more sordid and--this being a silent movie, full of unlikely twists. Miss Griffith was quite beautiful and an appealing actress, I thought, though Robert Osborne mentioned in his intro that she was generally regarded as a limited actress.

It struck me as odd that Lewis Milestone, whom I associate with much more serious films, should direct this bit of fluff--but hey, it moves along and my respect for this man's talent is broader now, though it couldn't be deeper for the director of the monumental All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). Also found in the cast is Lowell Sherman, who is perfectly cast as a roué. As long as one doesn't expect Lubitsch from Milestone, I'd recommend this film. TCM's print was good, with a pleasant score by Robert Israel. If you're interested, you can read more about the film here. This movie is being repeated on TCM on Monday, July 9,2007 at 12 midnight eastern time.

I wonder if VecchioLarry ever knew Miss Griffith, who is pictured below?

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

morifannie,

:) This is one of my favorite Silent films, I have written a great about it over the past week on the TCM board. The restoration TCM aired last Sunday is available on DVD from Flicker Ally Company. This outfit makes very good Silent film DVD's.

I would have to describe Robert Israel's musical arrangement in far more glowing terms than "pleasant". I think that it is one of his greatest scores! Although oddly enough, it is Theater Organ and not Orchestral. Even the portions that sound just like grand piano, or probably actually Theater Organ as well.

I should mention that I rather doubt that the film will re-air in July on Silent Sunday Nights. That seems pretty quick. This is likely a mix-up? TCM might even be airing THE DIVINE LADY (1929), with Corinne Griffith, that night instead? It has been shown on TCM in the past.

Largely considered the most beautiful actress in Hollywood at the time, It is very sad that only about six of Corinne Griffith's features are know to survive today! She was a actually a very big star during the 1920's, though due to the lack of existing work, has largely been reduced to obscurity! Very sad indeed!

:o Wanted to be sure and add that TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS (1927), also Directed by Lewis Milestone, and another Comedy, is likewise among my favorite Silent films. Milestone even won an Oscar, for Directing this picture! It too was restored by Flicker Ally a few years back, but still has not been released on DVD, so far? Here is a big review I wrote last year on this very underrated movie:

TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS (1927) : ("Boyd and Wolheim are Hilarious!" Astor is "Hubba, Hubba!" )

1927 was a gigantic year in the movies! Some of the finest, and most enduring films of the decade where released during that year. Chances are, even the most rabid Silent film fan may not be familiar with TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS, however. The primary reason for this being that the filmed was believed to be lost for decades! Then Miraculously in 2000, a print was uncovered stashed away in Co-producer the legendary Howard Hughes vault! A significant find!

Flicker Ally Company, with funding from Turner Classic Movies, set out to restore as much of the film as they could. The results for the most part where impressive, and they reveal to us a forgotten classic rescued from the ravages of time! While about 65 percent of the restoration is pristine looking, the remainder is filled with various signs of chemical decomposition! Some of it is quite minimal, while other portions appear pretty severe!

It's unfortunate that the entire picture, could not be fully restored, but I'm quite sure that they did the very best they could with the existing elements? This movie was actually nominated for an Oscar in the first year of the Academy Awards. It is easy now to see why!

The film stars William Boyd, best known two and three decades later as Hop’A Long Cassidy, mostly on TV during the 1950's. Long before that, Boyd, actually had a solid, if not spectacular Silent film career. Enjoying noteworthy success with films such as Cecil B. DeMille' s THE VOLGA BOATMAN (1926), THE YANKEE CLIPPER (1927), and this one.

In TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS, Boyd plays William Dangerfield Phelps The Third, a Wealthy playboy who is not enjoying his time at all as an American Soldier during World War One! A homely and brutish Sergeant “Taxi Cab” “Pete O’ Gaffney” (Louis Wolheim) has made Phelps time in the infantry all the more unpleasant for him!

When these two bitter rivals find themselves "Out In The Middle Of “No Man’s Land”, they would rather tackle each other, than the converging Germans! Although, once taken prisoner by the Hun’s, they soon develop a respectful camaraderie between one another.

Directed by the great Lewis Milestone, every one of his Silent's I have seen such as THE GARDEN OF EDEN (1928), and THE RACKET (1928) are outstanding! While A fantastic Orchestral score by Robert Israel, one of his finest efforts ever, compliments the completed restoration!

:lol: I thought this was going to be another drama? Instead It is a rousing knockout comedy! Much like WHAT PRICE GLORY (1926), it doesn't even try to take itself seriously. as a war, film I certainly never expected anything remotely so funny! This movie really had me rolling, at times! What a revelation!

Boyd, and Wolheim, retain their tenuous hate-love relationship, as two reluctant war buddies. in the classic "Monk" Mayfair, "Ham" Brooks mold! After fleeing the German prison camp, and stowing away from the War on a freighter, they rescue a beautiful Arab Princess (Mary Astor), from drowning. This adds increased tension to their uneasy union. Again just like "Blodgett", and "Theodore Marley", both are big time wolves, who fancy themselves as quite the ladies-men!

:D This unlikely pairing is transformed into a top flight comedy team, by Milestone! Mary Astor was arrestingly beautiful at this stage of her career. Oddly She is somewhat underutilized in this picture. Not making her first appearance until the film is nearly half over.

The two determined Romeo's both try their best to romance the lovely Princess Mirza. All the time under the totally false impression that She is unable to understand a single word that they are saying to her! Before long The Princess not surprisingly loses her heart to the significantly better looking of the persistent twosome. :oops:

:roll: Soon it’s revealed that She is already Betrothed to another man! The handsome, and charming Shevket. (Ian Keith), Who likewise happens to be a real Stinker, personally selected for Her by Mirza’s powerful Emir of a Father! The dastardly Fiancée arrives in a motor boat to take his “Bride To Be” back home. Just then, William, and Pete beat a hasty retreat from the Captain of the ship! They owe him the dough for their entire voyage, and He intends to collect! Regrettably, these guys are woefully devoid of funds at the moment!

Now the fun really begins! Mirza’s dad The Emir, is horrified to hear that his pride and Joy was seen fraternizing with two unidentified American servicemen while on the boat! Even worse, He is informed that the Princess even “Lifted Her Vial For One Of Them!” A dreaded No, No!

:shock: Upon receiving word, The Emir immediately orders both their deaths! Not good, for you see the duo is headed straight for The Palace and is fully expecting not only to be welcomed with open arms, but a big reward, for saving Mirza’s life! Won’t give the rest of this one away!

Tentatively scheduled to have been released by Flicker Ally on DVD, last year, this has yet to happen? Perhaps it and the other two newly discovered and restored Howard Hughes produced Silent Features of the 1920's, THE RACKET (1928), and THE MATING CALL (also, 1928), will still be released before the end of the year, or in early 2007? With any luck, it is only a matter of time before these three excellent films, are introduced to Silent film fans everywhere!
feaito

Post by feaito »

The DVD edition of this film must be one of the best of its kind that has ever been released; Really "De-Luxe". Great!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

featio,

:? Actually, other than the lack of Extra's, my own DVD-R version of this film is far more elaborate looking than the official DVD is! I made this up after TCM ran this movie the first time back in late 2004, or early 2005. It was not until a few months later, when I learned a true DVD version had already been released! I bought that too, of course.

:D My DVD-R, program has a couple of distinct advantages the Flicker Ally DVD does not have! One are the tinted background stills and about twice as many thumbs, and two it boast's Erich Von Sternberg's Masterpiece THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK (Paramount, 1928), as it's second feature! Another great movie, and you can't buy it on DVD at the present time!

:) I made up a big program of TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS as well, paired up with Fred Niblo's THE RED LILLY (1924), starring Ramon Novarrro, Enid Bennett, and Wallace Berry. Neither of which are currently on DVD!

:( I am still hoping that official DVD's of TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS , THE RACKET, and THE MATING CALL, will yet be released by Flicker Ally, or at least by somebody soon? Although to be honest, unless they have allot of extra's on them they are probably not going to look much better than my own programs do!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I would have to describe Robert Israel's musical arrangement in far more glowing terms than "pleasant". I think that it is one of his greatest scores! Although oddly enough, it is Theater Organ and not Orchestral. Even the portions that sound just like grand piano, or probably actually Theater Organ as well.
Sorry, Gagman, but I was put off by organ music for life by several humiliating spills during childhood at an ice skating rink called--ironically--"Joycrest". All I can say is, it's not "joyous" for me, especially since I broke my arm there. Now, every time I hear a deep chord from an organ, my right wrist gets a twinge. :wink:

Thanks for the rundown on your other film finds, of which, I've seen and enjoyed Two Arabian Knights, (I love Louis Wolheim), but had forgotten it was directed by Milestone. I'm sorry to read that most of Corinne Griffith's films have almost all been lost.

I should mention that I rather doubt that the film will re-air in July on Silent Sunday Nights. That seems pretty quick. This is likely a mix-up? TCM might even be airing THE DIVINE LADY (1929), with Corinne Griffith, that night instead? It has been shown on TCM in the past.

I agree about the relative brevity between the broadcast, but this info came from the TCM site, so I just wanted to post it for others who may wish to catch The Garden of Eden again. In the last year, I've seen TCM run movies less than a month apart, so perhaps things are in shorter rotations now over on Turner.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

moirafinnie.

:) I was wondering I you have you seen THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK (1928) before? The print that I have is very good pictorial quality. The film stars George Bancroft, and Betty Compson. It probably has not turned up on TCM as yet, since it is a Paramount Silent? Maybe it will be included in the new deal they have with this studio?

:? I know that TCM currently has THE GARDEN OF EDEN listed to run again in July, but I assume that this will change? THE DIVINE LADY (1929) has not been shown in a good four years, or more. TCM has many other Silent's that do not air very frequently, such as THE SEA HAWK (1924), with Milton Stills, and Enid Bennett, and Ernst Lubitsch OLD HEIDELBERG (1927), with Ramon Novarro, and Norma Shearer.

:o They are airing Robert Z. Leonard's A LADY OF CHANCE with Norma Shearer, and Johnny Mack Brown in July again! This is a very good picture, and should not be missed! I just wrote a big review of that movie on this forum a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, so far, no one has responded to it?

:? Still another Silent that is long over-due to be showed again is WEST POINT (1927), with William Haines, and Joan Crawford. Another very good little known film, with an excellent score by Donald Davidson. Haines films such as SPEEDWAY (1928), with Anita Page it seems are very rarely aired? Even though He was a huge star in his day!

:D Meantime, TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS is scheduled for August, during the Mary Astor Star Of The Day Tribute.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the abundant info Gagman.

"The Docks of NY" is an impressive, realistic drama. I bought the out of print VHS (released by Paramount, because I understand that they've retained the rights to all of their Silents) a few years ago, along with "The Last Command" and "The Wedding March". All excellent films in very fine form!

There seem to be few Paramount-released Silents available on the market, but the ones I have are in pretty fine form! For example, I had a field day when I discovered that in the 3 Disc Special Edition of the 1956 "The Ten Commandments", the 1923 version was also included!! Silents are an acquired taste and it has been growing on me quite a lot.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

feaito,

:) Yes I am very lucky to have all the out-of print Silent Paramount VHS releases on DVD-R. Including THE COVERED WAGON (1923), and OLD IRONSIDES (1926).

I also have THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923), on DVD from the release you mentioned earlier too. A great picture with an awesome cast! Paramount apparently digitally restored this movie? It looks spectacular! Although the 2 Strip Technicolor sequences are missing.

Actually, The Exodus footage included in the Extra's is mistakenly identified as Color-Tinted! It is really badly faded 2 strip Technicolor! Amazing that Paramount could have made such an error as this?

:wink: The original screen version of PETER PAN (1924), Directed by Herbert Brenon. is another excellent Paramount Silent, that can be found on DVD from Kino! The print is virtually pristine! It has a terrific score by Philip Carli, and The Flower City Orchestra too! With apologies to Walt Disney, this is easily the best Peter Pan ever filmed! Great cast, with Betty Bronson, Mary Brian, Esther Ralston and Ernest Torrance as Captain Hook! I would highly recommend this DVD!

:D Hubert Brenon also Directed the 1926 Paramount blockbuster BEAU GESTE, Starring Ronald Coleman, Mary Brian, Alice Joyce, William Powell, and Victor Mclaglen. I'm proud to say I have this film on DVD-R from Laser-disc! It is a pretty hard to find! Definitely another Silent that Paramount should restore, and release on DVD! Since it is a highly sought after title by collectors!

:o Another great Paramount Silent that you might not have seen yet is BARBED WIRE (1927), with Pola Negri and Clive Brook. It has not been offered on Home Video as far as I know? My copy was recorded off the old AMERICAN MOVIE CLASSICS channel during a War films Festival back in about 1996! The print is very nice. I wrote a big review of this picture on another forum last year! Here it is:

:D BARBED WIRE (1927), is an excellent film, vastly underrated! A grossly overlooked Silent Classic, that definitely merits it's own DVD release! Though, the prospects for this happening appear quite dim, at the moment. Paramount hasn't even officially released WINGS (1927), on DVD yet. This despite the fact it won the Academy Award as Best Picture!

:roll: I happen to find Pola Negri, extremely attractive! At least in this film! Thus far I must admit, I have seen precious few of her movies! I would relish seeing what ever else is available! I shared this title with some friends a short time ago, and they were blown away by this great dramatic tale!

:? Perhaps the picture would enjoy more notoriety, with a bigger name leading man in the cast? While CLIVE BROOK gives a strong performance, He seemed to be a relatively odd choice for the part? Appearance wise, He’s a bit older than Pola, and is not overly attractive. Although, in His defense, He is certainly better looking than Percy Marmount , who was a huge mis-cast opposite luminous Clara Bow, in MANTRAP (1926)!

:x The major culprit however, for this pictures abject obscurity is PARAMOUNT, who has sadly set on their Silent Film Archive for decades! Doubtless, many titles (some important works), have been lost through shear neglect on their behalf, over the years! What a travesty!

:) The print I have seen is in pretty good shape, so it would not require an extensive restoration. The score was lone Piano, and though some of it was well done, this picture clearly demands more than this! I would love to see the movie given a top flight Orchestral score, by someone like Jeffrey Mark Silverman, who composed terrific scores for such silent films as TESS OF STORM COUNTRY (1922), and SCARAMOUCHE (1923), or Philip Carli, who produced superb efforts on STELLA MARIS (1919), and CAPTAIN SALVATION (1927)? These guys would be good choices! Gotta be cheaper than a Carl Davis or Robert Israel!

:D BARBED WIRE, is a top-notch anti-war film. I feel one of the finest produced after THE BIG PARADE (1925)! Superbly Directed by Rowland Lee, and very well photographed! The powerful story about a French Girl named Mona, on a Prison work farm, who falls in love with a captive German soldier Oscar (Clive Brook), is brilliantly told! Scorned by her own people, She valiantly presses on, in the face of considerable adversity, and resentment. Negri, remembered primarily as a Vamp, is nothing of the sort here. Quite the opposite! Rather She is almost irreproachably virtuous!

:shock: When Her honor is threatened, by a high ranking French Officer, Oscar comes to Mona's rescue, but is arrested! About to be sentenced to death, She boldly intervenes on his behalf, revealing the truth of the matter, at his trial! The towns people totally dis-believing, brand her as a traitor! Furthermore, She is openly accused of having a shameless affair with Oscar! "A Filthy German!"

:cry: The surprising sequence where the German POW's celebrate the season on Christmas Eve, is intensely moving! It leaves the serine French maiden, all the more confused over just what the war is all about? She confronts her bed ridden father (who is recovering from a stroke), and appeals to him to contemplate the senselessness of it all!

Negri gives the viewer a powerful, and very natural performance. She has great presence on the screen! Among the top dramatic star's of the 1920's, why have I not seen more of her films??? :x

It's to bad Paramount can't get off their fat duffs, and do something with it's Major Silent's, before it is too late! This film too, should be on DVD!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow that's some info about Barbed Wire!! Thanks Gagman.

Another Paramount title that comes to my mind and should be on DVD is Lubitsch's "Forbidden Paradise".
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

Totally love THE GARDEN OF EDEN - definately in my top five list of favorite silent movies.

Sadly, Flicker Alley has reportedly discontinued production of the DVD. If you don't have it better get it soon as prices will likely go through the roof for copies within the year.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I also love Garden of Eden. I recently purchased a film magazine from 1928 which contained an ad for it. Here it is:

Gagman 66

The Garden Of Eden Back In Print on DVD Soon!

Post by Gagman 66 »

moviemags,

:D Actually, THE GARDEN OF EDEN has been out of print from Flicker Alley for a couple years now. But there is very good news, it is coming back into print later this month! There is no need to pay the outrageous prices it's going for on Amazon, or Ebay often up around a Hundred dollars!
:shock:

:oops: Corinne Griffith along with probably Renee Adoree, err, and maybe Colleen Moore too, are kind of my great loves, and I would give anything for more of their films to be found! Not supposed to post my photos here, as they are two large but I have more photos of Corinne that I have worked on than anyone else! :wink: I will post the link to my page on GAOH. As soon as I can remember it???

Ah here it is now. I have over 200 photo's and posters up-loaded, and nearly 100 vintage songs too! Hope to see you over there soon!

http://goldenageofhollywood.ning.com/profile/TheGiant
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Garden of Eden (1928)

Post by moira finnie »

I'm bumping this thread to give us a heads up. The enchanting late silent, The Garden of Eden (1928), directed by Lewis Milestone, and starring Corinne Griffith, Louise Dresser, Lowell Sherman, Maude George, and Charles Ray is being shown at 12:15am EDT on May 16th on TCM. Below is a charming tribute video to this film:
[youtube][/youtube]
(That's Django Reinhardt playing "Minor Swing" in the background)

You can see an article here on TCM about this movie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What a charming movie it looks to be! Thanks for the head's up, M., I've got it scheduled!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I walked with eyes wide open into 1928, and there was Corinne Griffith in "GARDEN OF EDEN." She was lovely. Nicely animated I thought she had a good sense of comic timing (not mugging for the camera). She was beautiful. I knew her name but I've never seen her in films. She reminded me of Mary Astor and Myrna Loy. Louise Dresser as her guardian was good too. The movie's ending made me think of the Doris Day/Rock Hudson "Lover Come Back" in her reluctance to marry.

I know everyone has their time but Griffith, forgotten? Hmmm...quite a shame. She was very interesting.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com