PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD @ THE ROXIE in March

Dewey1960

PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD @ THE ROXIE in March

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Pre-Coders! I'm happy to announce my first Hollywood Pre-Code Festival in nearly
fifteen years! On Friday, March 2 and for a full, solid week I'll be presenting FOURTEEN
great pre-code films on SEVEN astonishing double-features at the Roxie Theater in
San Francisco. Here's the link to our website:
http://roxie.com/events/details.cfm?eve ... 33398DBA01

As one might expect, the focus of this series is HORROR, CRIME, and SEX! We're offering
up a pretty heady brew and I sincerely hope those of you here in the Bay Area will avail
yourselves to some of these shows!!
knitwit45

Re: PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD @ THE ROXIE in March

Post by knitwit45 »

DOGGONE IT, DEWEY!!!! When are you going to take some of this on the road???? Sure would love to see Joanie in all her, um, glory? :shock:

best wishes, I'm sure it will be a knockout!!!!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I second Knitty!

Holy smokes, what a GREAT festival lineup! Freaks and Island of Lost Souls! The Black Cat (THE BLACK CAT in 35mm!) and Kongo! Plus Clara Bow, Thelma Todd, Miriam Hopkins, Joan Blondell…Tallulah, too! All on the big screen! Holy Smokes!

If you have t-shirts for sale with the Blondell "Hollywood Before the Code" photo, I'm in for 1 XL. (Make it two, for when the first wears out.)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

If you have t-shirts for sale with the Blondell "Hollywood Before the Code" photo, I'm in for 1 XL. (Make it two, for when the first wears out.)
Me, too!!!!!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Elliot,

What a great line-up!

Let me confer with Marco about titles and dates but count us in!

Can't wait! Between the Stanford and the Roxie, the month of March is shaping up to be cinema heaven!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wow, that's quite a list. I hope it's a great success for you :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Too much fun!

But, puh-leeze, Dewey, save some time, energy and movies for May at the Roxie.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Yes, I think this show should be a wild success, given the public's ongoing fascination
with lascivious pre-code entertainment! Hey Nancy, nothing would give me greater
pleasure than to tote this whole shebang out to Kansas! How great would THAT be for
a pre-code show?! Kansas! And Kevin, just this past Friday we had a chat over at the
Roxie office to create a special Pre-Code Tee-Shirt for the event! X-Large, eh? Hey Lynn,
rest assured that your name and Marco's will be on the VIP guest list for any film(s)
you wanna see! Allison, thanks for words of encouragement; wish you could jet across
the pond for this! And hey, ChiO, not to worry: this May promises my most startling
noir program yet!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Bitter Tea of General Sen on the big screen. Chester Morris next to Joan Blondell in Blondie Johnson. Ann Dvorak batting her baby blues in Three on a Match. And Gilbert Roland in Call Her Savage larger than life. Jeepers, Dewey. Maybe you should go the William Castle route and post nurses in the lobby to tend to those overcome with the spectacle.

I think I can sense a sell-out in the making, Dewster. Congrats on a grand lineup, but is there any way you could record your remarks when introducing these films and posting it somewhere so all of us far from these flickering images could enjoy it a little bit more from our vicarious perches?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Such a great line-up Elliott! Lucky those who will be able to attend :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Horror, crime and sex. I don't know that I've ever experienced all three of those in one night! Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A terrific feature piece in this morning's San Francisco Chronicle from Mick LaSalle about our
upcoming PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD FEST starting this Friday night!! Those of you who were
taken with the image we used to promote the series on the Roxie website will especially
be pleased...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1MNG0L.DTL
Lynn, Marco, if you're reading this rest assured your names will be on the VIP GUEST LIST!
Any other Bay Area Oasis denizens thinking about coming? Drop me a PM.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

What a great article! And that picture, phew.

I really wish I could be there to see these Pre-Codes with an audience on the big screen. At least I do have a copy of all but one of the films, so I plan on attending the Pre-Code Hollywood Fest by watching them right along with you. (Time zones taken into consideration).

I look forward to reading about how the audiences react to them.

Good luck!
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Wonderful write up indeed Mr.D. Just curious, what would you say the level of Precode fans is at this time and how does it compare with Noir? I imagine there is a broad overlap of movie fans who like both, but do you think one genre inspires higher turnout over the other and if so, which?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mr. Ark asked: what would you say the level of Precode fans is at this time and how does it compare with Noir? I imagine there is a broad overlap of movie fans who like both, but do you think one genre inspires higher turnout over the other and if so, which?

In the mid to late 90s my precode shows were drawing pretty much the same thick crowds as my film noir shows, and they were largely the same demographics: older (50+) moviegoers and hipsters (20s, 30s) who longed to be a part of what appeared to be a mounting trend. It was always a little disconcerting (but enjoyable) to see people in their 20s really diving into these pre-code films with such gusto. But it's been nearly fifteen years since I've put on a precode show so I can't say for sure who this audience is anymore (or even if it exists). But I think Mick's piece in the Chronicle this morning (as well as the other press that will emerge during the week) will no doubt send lots of curious folks out to the Roxie. Whether or not we can build this audience back to where it once was is yet to be determined. I certainly hope so, as there are (as you know) numerous crossover points that noir and precode films share. Should be very interesting!