Safe in Hell (1931)

wmcclain

Safe in Hell (1931)

Post by wmcclain »

Safe in Hell (1931), directed by William A. Wellman.

When a New Orleans prostitute encounters the man who ruined her life she leaves his body behind and flees to Tortuga, where there is little law and no extradition, just a collection of seedy, unreliable and dangerous men.

There is one good man in her life -- an officer of the merchant marines -- but their letters are intercepted by a villain. Put in a jam, she'd rather die than submit again.

Dorothy Mackaill is very good in this; I don't remember seeing her before, and recognize very few among the rest of the cast. The plot is contrived, the island men are cartoonishly vile, and the resolution unbelievable. Still, it is an entertaining 73 minutes.

I don't have the link but this was on a list of recommended pre-Code films which feature the women's point of view. I had never thought of that. Pre-Code suggests sex and violence not allowed after 1934, but other topics also lapsed for a few decades. Not until Douglas Sirk's "women's" pictures (All That Heaven Allows (1955), Imitation of Life (1959)) do we see more pictures about the woman's inner life, the effect that men have on her, rather than the reverse. (On second thought: that's overstated. We could come up with a list of good Code films with a woman at the center who is not there simply for the men).

Other points of interest:Michael Curtiz was originally scheduled to direct, and Barbara Stanwyck was considered for the lead.

Available on DVD. Poor image.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Safe in Hell (1931)

Post by Lomm »

I've had this movie for years and still haven't gotten around to it. Sounds like I should remedy that soon.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Safe in Hell (1931) is one of the 10 titles that Warner Brothers and the Film Foundation restored for the WB 100th anniversary. It was released on blu-ray on April 25.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Safe-in- ... ay/334869/
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Yet another fine post about one of my favorite pre-code films. Dorothy Mackaill only had a limited time in the spotlight, which ended with the enforcement of the production code, making only one film after 1934, Bulldog Drummond Bay in 1937.

Note that after Safe in Hell she was in Love Affair with Bogart, and No Man of Her Own, a really nice film with Gable and Lombard (prior to them being an item).

Similar to Ann Dvorak where their screen persona worked really well in pre-code films.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 16th, 2023, 2:00 pm Yet another fine post about one of my favorite pre-code films. Dorothy Mackaill only had a limited time in the spotlight, which ended with the enforcement of the production code, making only one film after 1934, Bulldog Drummond Bay in 1937.

Note that after Safe in Hell she was in Love Affair with Bogart, and No Man of Her Own, a really nice film with Gable and Lombard (prior to them being an item).

Similar to Ann Dvorak where their screen persona worked really well in pre-code films.
Safe in Hell is one of the best pre-codes. Dorothy Mackaill settled in Honolulu, where she lived the last 35 years of her life at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. I did not know that, when I went to Honolulu for a convention in the 1970s, staying in the hotel next to the Royal Hawaiian, and seeing that pink structure as I swam in the very blue Pacific.

I love Ann Dvorak. She was indeed a pre-code queen, having made 16 films in 1930, but I really like her penultimate film, made in 1951: I Was an American Spy, in which she plays a woman based on a real spy, and gives a great performance.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 7th, 2024, 10:43 pm I've seen the restored version, and it looks pretty darn good for a pre-Code.

The thing I don't really understand is why they didn't bother giving this a happy ending, given that it was made before the Code and therefore there was no pressure for "punishing the guilty" as other movies had to do once the Code went into effect. They could easily have had Gilda getting away on the boat with Carl before the islanders knew what had happened.

Why wouldn't the folks at First National Pictures have wanted to give this a happy ending?
They were going for the realistic and arty ending, I think. Wellman's film of the following year -- Frisco Jenny -- has an equally powerful (and unhappy) ending.