The Cat and the Canary (1927)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Cat and the Canary (1927)

Post by moira finnie »

Has anyone seen The Cat and the Canary (1927), scheduled for Mon., Sept. 10th at 12:30 AM on TCM as the Late Night Sunday Silent? I see it stars Laura LaPlante, among others. I'm curious in part since this movie was directed by Paul Leni, who also brought Conrad Veidt's extraordinary The Man Who Laughs (1928) to the movies. While I found the latter movie dragged in spots, Veidt's work was touching and some of the wilder melodramatic elements of the storytelling perked things up a bit.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

markbeckuaf

Post by markbeckuaf »

The last time TCM aired this one, somehow I had the timing screwed up and missed some of it, so didn't watch it. I hope I get it right tonight, as I'd really like to see this one!
It's a pre-code world and we're living in it!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

moirafinnie,

:) TCM actually airs the BFI, or Photo-play Productions version of this film with a new score by Neil Brand.

:? This is not the same as on the current Image DVD, which has two scores. One is a Vintage recreation, based on the original Cue-sheets. The other a somewhat more modern sounding score.

:roll: However, both prints are very good quality. That is assuming that you have the newest Image release, which is processed from 35 millimeter, like the Photo-play productions version. Be aware that there had been an earlier Image DVD version, from 16 millimeter stock. The difference is quite dramatic, with the 35 millimeter master.

:o I actually like the current Image DVD version better, than I do the Photo-play Productions version. One reason is, the Image print is Multi-tinted, where as the BFI edition, is a solid amber from start to finish? Even the out-door night scenes? I don't know why?

:oops: Laura La Plante, is exceedingly cute, and is the best reason to watch the movie!

Incidentally, I happen to love THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, and would rank it as one of the great Silent films of the late 1920's!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The print looked fabulous! Great film. Glad I had the red light on.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've seen the silent "Cat and the Canary" a few times and have enjoyed it a lot. I often think it is a shame that Paul Leni died before he could direct "Dracula."

However, I have never seen the Bob Hope "Cat and the Canary." All the books say that this was the film that really fixed Bob Hope as a movie star, but it never seems to turn up on TV or at film societies or even on DVD.

I only know a few of the jokes from books. "Don't big, dark, empty houses scare you?"

"Not me. I used to be in vaudeville."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I made it into the first 15 minutes of this silent, (which looked swell in the new restoration), but the Sandman won out, I'm afraid.

I had the strangest dream, though...all about a mansion, high on the banks of the Hudson...where I was surrounded by giant medicine bottles and relatives who turned into snarling black cats...

Maybe it's just as well I didn't watch this late at night alone, eh? :wink: