The Wonderful Deanna Durbin

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Wonderful Deanna Durbin

Post by moira finnie »

I loved It Started with Eve too, Chris. I think it was the first Durbin movie I ever saw--and that was only a few years ago since her movies weren't shown on tv when we were growing up. I particularly like the way that she, Laughton and Bob Cummings bounce off each other in this screwball comedy.

Another one that you might enjoy is Lady on a Train (1945) that takes Deanna on a noir-lite romp through NYC at Christmastime. Great cast, including Ralph Bellamy, Dan Duryea, Edward Everett Horton, and Allen Jenkins. It has some boffo musical numbers too, including "Silent Night" in a way I never expected to see.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

May I recommend too His Butler's Sister and First Love, as well.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Netflix didn't have "His Butler's Sister" but the others are in my queue. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll give her this - I haven't seen whether she was any kind of pianist but if she wasn't her fake playing in "Eve" is among the best I've seen anywhere. I know they weren't recorded live as you can see some of the keys never quite make it down but she was on in every respect of matching the playing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moira finnie wrote: Another one that you might enjoy is Lady on a Train (1945) that takes Deanna on a noir-lite romp through NYC at Christmastime. Great cast, including Ralph Bellamy, Dan Duryea, Edward Everett Horton, and Allen Jenkins. It has some boffo musical numbers too, including "Silent Night" in a way I never expected to see.

[youtube][/youtube]

Here's the YouTube of that unforgettable performance by Deanna singing Silent Night ... and that's one of the most enduring scenes in that wonderful film that year. I always treasured that ...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote:May I recommend too His Butler's Sister and First Love, as well.

Excellent Choices there ... I loved First Love! :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I finally got to "Lady On A Train." What a crazy picture. (That's good.) I'm trying to remember if a comedy ever had so many murders. (Save for "Kind Hearts and Coronets" maybe not.)

It is fun and Deanna is quite sweet. It does get to be a little serious at the end but that is part of this long and winding story line. Very good performances all around. Some were surprising in how little they were involved. There are a few moments that stretch one's imagination. (Was that the longest Christmas Eve on film?)

I agree "Silent Night" is a treat. I'm not sure I have heard it so sweetly performed. Speaking of music I noticed that Niklos Rosza wrote the score but often the music is so buried as to slip by unnoticed. Other times it is fine noir music though stuck in the middle of a comedy.

You had better pay attention. It gets involved. At times it is quite fun. I enjoyed it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I loved almost all of Deanna's movies but I despised Christmas Holiday. His Butler's Sister was perhaps on of my favorites but I did like many more of them. I am a huge fan of hers and don't forget December 4th is the anniversary of her birth.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"