Help, it's been A Hard Days Night

stuart.uk

Help, it's been A Hard Days Night

Post by stuart.uk »

it's almost a crying shame The Beatles did only did 4 films. i discount Yellow Submarine because other actors like Bringing Up Appearences star Geoffrey Hughes played the fab four, though adittedly the boys still did the vocals

i think the first film A Hard Day's Night was their best. it was a fictional day in the life of The Beatles, as they traveled on a train to perform at a tv studio. it reminds me of Irving Berlins Top Hat in that an incredible amount of quality songs were written by John and Paul for the film, A Hard Day's Night, I Should Have Known Better, If I Fell, And I Love Her, Can't By Me Love and This Boy (the last song mentioned i also think of as Ringo's theme as he goes on the run just before performing on the tv show)

aside from the songs the film showed the sense of humour and character of the boys. they were like a modern day Marx Brothers. i felt watching the film John Lennon showed real acting potential. i could have imagined him as a tough guy like Michael Caine in Get Carter. the film also boasts great performances from the supporting cast that included Norman Rossington as the manager, Lennon constantly winds up. John Junkin as the bands only roadie and William Bramble just before he became a household name in Steptoe And Son (the show inspired Stanford And Son in America) as Paul's fictional grandfather

Help showed how the boys had progressed with locations abroad now being used. however, the last time i watched the film i felt a little weird, because the plot revolved around a plot of a religious cult to assassinate Ringo. this made me thing about John and his sad murder.

the film also had great songs, but not as prolific as AHDN, Help, Hey You've Gotta Hide Your Love Away and A Ticket To Ride. the cast included Leo Mckern and Eleanor Bron (it's said Paul was inspired to write Eleanor Rigby because of her)

i can't really comment on The Magical Mystery Tour as i haven't seen it.

Let It Be was a sad account fly on the wall documentary type of film of the band just before they split up. still highlights were of them performing unpaid on top of a building in London and Paul singing the title song

I'm quite sure if John hadn't been killed, the boys would have reunited for Bob Geldorf's Live Aid Concert at Wembley

sadly only Paul and Ringo now survive
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Help!" just was released in a big box with an extra DVD. I have watched these films often since I was a kid. They are just great fun. Plot? Who cares? Great songs, a gifted director (at least for this group) and four very likeable young men. Bad puns, surreal visuals, a cool aprtment (with no apparent kitchen) and Leo McKern make this a winner.

"A Hard Day's Night" well, it's just great.

I've seen "Magical Mystery Tour" and frankly there are only two good scenes in it. "I Am The Walrus" and "The Fool On The Hill."

I have my doubts as to whether "Let It Be" will see the light of day for many years. I saw it in a theater in the early 80's and it is a tough film to watch. With only Paul and Ringo left and having them having had such a good friendship I'm not sure why they would want to have to relive it.

Many of the musical numbers (or portions) are in the Anthology video and maybe that's enough. It it ever does come out it won't be until after they are gone.

(I even saw "Give My Regards To Broad Street." No hurry there.

We'll talk Beatles all you want.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

it's funny you should mention the fact that Paul and Ringo wouldn't want to relive Let it Be. at the weekend i was watching a British chat show with host Johnathon Ross, his guest was Ringo. they talked about the scene in the film where they performed on the roof and how Ringo was the only one pratically dressed for what was a cold day
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

johnm:

Once again, we totally agree on something. All singers and groups make a couple of singles that are listenable and actually pleasant and that can also be said about the bugs. As a kid I wouldn't have wasted my hard earned money on their movies, and being a C&W fan, I wasn't forced to hear most of their music. To this day, I still have little to no idea what songs are beatles songs, although I do like that one by, I think it was John - Imagination or whatever, but on the whole, they were just another group with an English accent and needing a haircut.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Help! has always been my personal favorite. I saw it when I was ten years old on afternoon TV and have been in love with The Beatles (and the film) ever since.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

The Lennon song you are talking about is "Imagine." Musically it is as simple as they come and a little too Utopian to for its own good. He wrote far better songs.

Country/Western? There's something I could never get my ears around. Beethoven, now that's worth a listen.
Chris

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

An interesting thread on the Fab Four from one of my other forums (I'm Mr. A there as well). MM57, you might like this forum as it's a vintage music gear site.

http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... hp?t=68961
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I know movieman:

C & W fans are used to hearing people say things like that. People think it is degrading to be a C&W fan, but I'm proud of it. It's the only real American music, or it was until about 15 years ago when the youngsters started changing the focus of it. But I've been a C&W fan since I was 15, so after 48 years, I don't think I'm going to change. "I was country, when country wasn't cool". That's a song title, but I've been through 2 big revivals of the sound now and I know it's not going to go away. I also love understanding the lyrics and being able to sing along.

It's like movies, to each his own.

Anne
Anne

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I would also suggest Blues and Jazz are American music (not to mention Rock and Roll).
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't mind C&W, although I was raised on classical music, standards, and embraced Rock in the 60s. As the wife of a Navy man, C&W is about all I heard for almost 10 years. That's all that they listen to and all that's played on base, etc.

However, I don't like the silly costumes, hype, and displays of incredible ego that I see in most C&W performers. The valid C&W music gets overwhelmed and buried in an avalanche of big hair and bigger cowboy hats. The performers would like us to believe that they are the sincere representatives of the common folk, but swan about looking like overstuffed, 8X10 glossies of a glitterglam costume party. Not one of them looks the worse for wear, even though they moan and cry about the hard life and faithless love. Phooey. Give me Hank, Woody and Maybelle any day.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

I would never suggest that being a country music fan is degrading. I know you (collectively) are a loyal and dedicated group.

It's a style that I've never been able to enjoy. The few personalities I do know seem to be nice, warm people. (Those tend to be older artists. A lady in my church is the cousin of Dolly Parton.) Steel guitars (which may not be as prevalent now) have always been uncomfortable to listen to for me.

I get to sing along with my Beatles, Moody Blues, Dan Fogelberg, Andy Williams and a host of other pop/rock artists. The only music I can't sing to are the choral works of Mahler and Mozart. (I'm afraid I might hurt myself if I even tried.)

Mr. A:

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I learned a long, long time ago never to try to convert anyone to C&W. It is a like or dislike thing, rarely something you acquire a taste for.

As I said, these youngsters are messing things up as they are doing all over the place, with their electric guitars, huge speakers, fireworks and smoke.

My taste runs to George Strait, and Alan Jackson who just get up there and sing while they strum on their guitars. I also still buy the oldies like Waylon Jennings, and Merle Haggard. Dolly, Loretta, and Tammy are my idols while Reba takes over where they leave off. I do admit to liking Toby Keith, but only his 'Americana' songs. I can't forget the Statler Bros.

So you see, I am a classic person in my choices of movies and music. If I can't have C&W, give me Frank, Dean, Bing and Perry.

Anne
Anne