Serah Brightman/Jessie Matthews

stuart.uk

Serah Brightman/Jessie Matthews

Post by stuart.uk »

i was watching The Paul O'Grady Show on UK tv and his guest was Sarah Brightman of Phanthom Of The Opera fame. i'm amazed i never thought of it myself, but Paul commented on her resemblace to 1930s movie star Jessie Matthews and the fact she played the great lady on stage. he's right Sarah's the spitting image of Jessie. she's also probably the right age to play the part, playing the young movie star Jessie in films like First A Girl (remade by Julie Andrews as Victor/Victoria) then in middle-age the popular radio show Mrs. Dales Diary in the 60s

Sarah Brightman is surprisingly versatile. she's not just a world class Soprano. she was a dancer early in her career dancing with the two most famous British dance troops of their generation, Pan's People and Hot Gossip. recently she appeared on th reality show The Two Of Us where a professional singer had to team up with a non-singing celebrity for a singing contest. there she stepped out of her comfort zone and proved she could do jazz and rock an roll, as well as light opera. she's also a very sexy lady!

so come on a film producer, get a script, sign up Sarah and let's make The Jessie Matthews Story
Last edited by stuart.uk on April 30th, 2008, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
melwalton

Sarah Brightman

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Stu.
First I'd heard of Sarah Brightman. She's just what we need. Matthews was ths best. I'll remember the name and look for it.
I think you'd have a little trouble making a Jessie Matthews story. She was near perfect on screen but far from it in her private life., If such a film was made it would be too depressing, Poor Jessie, all that talent and all that trouble. .... mel
melwalton

Brightman

Post by melwalton »

Hi, John.
I'd never seen, nor heard of Sarah Brightman before now but Jessie Matthews is my favorite performer. I was curious about B but didn't really expect another Matthews. .... mel
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

John-i've got the information you were asking for under Natalie Wood

Charlotte Church, the one time opera singer as transformed herself in a rock an roll singer. i wonder if she'll return to opera and combine it with her current image. Charlotte has a popular late night chat show in the UK, just as well because the humour is rather racy.

Charlotte reminds me of Judy Garland in looks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Mel

here's a you tube with Sarah

YouTube - Sarah Brightman - Deliver Me (original video)
Hi guys! Since no one has uploaded the original video version of this song with Sarah, I thought it could be nice to do it myself. Enjoy it!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuECcqgwrvo · Cached page
melwalton

BRIGHTMAN

Post by melwalton »

Thanks, Stu.
Not my kind of music but thank you. I'll stick with Jessie. .... mel
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I can't tell you how upsetting it was for me to discover 1934's EVERGREEN for the first time AND to 'meet' Jessie Matthews, too. "Where has she been all my movie-going life?" If I was a kid, well, it'd be different, but I've pushed the Big 5-0 recently and the more we watch TCM, the more shocked and dismayed I am at finding new stars I'd never heard of or paid attention to before.

If Stuart would stop making these threads, maybe I could ignore more great movie stars and enjoy movies even less - !
melwalton

Jessie Matthews

Post by melwalton »

Hey Ollie.
Glad someone finally discovered the most talented musical star of the swing era. I've been promoting her for years.
'Evergreen' was far from her best movie, 'It's Love Again' is the one you want to see. Also 'Gangway'. Head over Heels', 'First a Girl. Actually any one with Matthews is worth seeing. You young kids are lucky to have all those 30s musicals to see for the first time although T C M is not your best source. Fox which is a hard to get premium shows more. With Matthews, you'll probably have to buy them. .... mel
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

the only Matthews film i've seen is First A Girl, a film remade under the title Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews. it's been said that Jessie was considered for the English girl in Fred Astaire's A Damsel In Distress, but non-dancer Joan Fontaine played the role

i don't know how to do it, but there are a couple of scenes on You Tube from the film First A Girl which also stars Anna Lee, who is in one of the clips, before she left for Hollywood

someone said earlier Sarah Brightman is to old to play Jessie at her pk. that might well be the case, but i think she could just get away with it and continue to play her in middle and old age when she still had her moments playing Tom Thumbs mother in TT, played Mrs. Dale in a popular radio show Mrs. Dales Diary.

one of her last performances was as aunt Bessie in the acclaimed tv series Edward And Mrs Simpson with Edward Fox in the 70s
melwalton

Matthews

Post by melwalton »

John
Jessie Matthews made few films, usually one a year. She was very popular in Britain and the only foreign musical star whose films made money in the USA before rock and roll.
Her not so private life was turbulent. She was accused of 'stealing' Evelyn Laye's husband (Sonnie Hale ) The newspapers made a big splash about it and the divorce judge gave her a scathing lecture, ( this was circa 1930, something that would rate very little mention today, ) Surprisingly, the adverse publicity did not hurt her popularity.
Her best years were the 30s. In the 40s she spent time in hospitals ( sanitariums? ) and was treared for mental (Or emotioal ) disorders, One doctor reported her ' being on the edge of madness'. She made a comeback on radio later.
John< we're talking about my all time favorite performer. She was so talented....... MEL