It Happened In Brooklyn

Uncle Stevie

It Happened In Brooklyn

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I have praised this movie before but I watched it again last night. What a combo of Frank Sinatra and Kathryn Grayson with Peter Lawford providing pathos and comedy by Jimmy Durante. Sammy Cahn and Julie Styne wrote the wonderful music and here is a bit of trivia - The piano heard at times throughout the movie was done by Andre Previn who was seventeen at the time and just signed with MGM.

This is a wonderful night of entertainment and all in Black & White.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
MissGoddess

Re: It Happened In Brooklyn

Post by MissGoddess »

Uncle Stevie,
nice to see another fan of this little movie. It is my favorite from Frank's early musical career. and this is purely and simply because of Frank and Jimmy and the songs they sing. Great tunes and nothing makes me smile as big and foolish as seeing my beloved Jimmy Durante in a substantial role, entertaining us solo or with Frankie. These two make the whole film worth while.

I really like how much opera and the classical music was featured in classic film. I miss that.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I noticed Kathryn Grayson in a different light as I watched this movie. She seems to be unraveled when singing with Frank Sinatra. When she sang Don Giovani with Frank she sported a smile that was genuine as though she and Frank had a lot of fun preparing for it. She was thrilled with Frank and it was great. Later movies with Frank were more routine but Brooklyn was special.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Frank singing Jule Styne's and Sammy Cahn's "Time After Time" is one of the most sublime musical moments ever on film. IMHO of course. :)

Also love the opening number "The Brooklyn Bridge" not so much for the song (though it's OK) but because they filmed it on location, on the Brooklyn Bridge. This gives it an immediacy and impact that the rest of the movie, filmed on the studio's New York sets, doesn't have.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Kathryn Grayson is one of my favourites (I have all her movies). The relaxed version of "la ci darem la mano” with Frank Sinatra shows both her versatility and Frank`s. Follow this up with her “Bell Song”, add a gentle version of the eternal triangle and this becomes a good movie.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

If you want to hear the definitive musical version of The Brooklyn Bridge search out
Sinatra's Columbia recording of the song. It has a lilt and a bounce that the film's recording
can't compete with. However, I do like the image in the film of Frank casually walking across
the bridge with his hands stuffed in his pockets as he sings the lyrics. Sinatra was good at
sauntering while singing.

Gary J.