Another Stageshow, Another Feature Film

benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

I'm jealous too, Marco! There was talk of a movie version of the musical with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange attached(?) It was scheduled to be filmed in the summer of 2006(?) That was before "Grey Gardens" went to Broadway...from Off Broadway.
It's kinda strange that the fabulous "home movies" of Big Edie and Little Edie are receiving so many adaptations over 30 years later!
I was thrilled that the surviving Maysle brother, Albert, assembled more footage for last year's "The Beales Of Grey Gardens." (David died in 1987.) It was worth the wait. This one is a terrific showcase for Little Edie-the "costumes," the singing and dancing and marching and the flirting with the Maysles! She even leaves the grounds of Grey Gardens to go to church and the beach. It is, quite simply, a "love letter" to Little Edie.
Moraldo Rubini

Grey Gardens

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I hadn't realized that Big Edie lived for another 10 years after the movie was released and that Little Edie survived until 2002! Whatever happened with the house? What did Little Edie do for the 20 years after her mother died? I wondered if the Criterion Collection edition of the movies updated their stories. Have you seen this edition, Ben?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Grey Gardens is now owned by Benjamin Bradlee and Sally Quinn. I remember that they are acknowledged for their assistance in the Broadway "Grey Gardens" Playbill.
Moraldo Rubini

Grey Shade

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Thanks Judith! I also just found this regarding the present state of Grey Gardens:

Sally Quinn and Benjamin C. Bradlee only stay there in the month of August. During the rest of the year it is lived in by Frances Singer-Hayward.

If those walls could talk...

Today I saw 110 in the Shade, featuring Audra McDonald. As the show began, I realized this revival also has a Hollywood connection, as it's the musical version of the same story used for the Katherine Hepburn/Burt Lancaster movie The Rainmaker. The movie's casting makes more sense than this stage version did. Has anyone seen this movie? Does it work? Is it dated today?
Kyle In Hollywood

Re: Grey Shade

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Today I saw 110 in the Shade, featuring Audra McDonald. As the show began, I realized this revival also has a Hollywood connection, as it's the musical version of the same story used for the Katherine Hepburn/Burt Lancaster movie The Rainmaker. The movie's casting makes more sense than this stage version did. Has anyone seen this movie? Does it work? Is it dated today?
I haven't watched The Rainmaker in quite awhile. It is difficult to accept Katharine Hepburn as a daughter of marrying age. She is so much older looking than the brothers. Think of her in David Lean's Summertime and you'll understand as that is how she appears in The Rainmaker. But Burt Lancaster is quite good and very spellbinding. And so is Earl Holliman as the youngest (?) brother.

While I am sure Ms. MacDonald was good, I would like to see the show just to see John Cullum sing onstage. I hope he did his reputation proud.

Did that "Seattle Coffee Company" have a big ad in the Playbill? They probably should have put a few bucks into the production somehow.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
Moraldo Rubini

Kwaffee

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I wondered if Starbucks got it's name from N. Richard Nash's play/movie! Anyone know that background?

John Cullum is just as strong as ever, though he seemed underused in the role of Lizzie's father. The cast came out to answer questions from the audience after the show. To my disappointment, Mr. Cullum didn't appear. Perhaps his absence gave the rest of the cast the freedom to gush though. They all talked with awe of his accomplishments and how much they learned from him. From the original Broadway Camelot (1960) to this revival of 110 in the Shade (2007); that's an impressive range...
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Marco, first you see Grey Gardens and then you tell us that you saw 110 in the Shade with John Cullum and the lovely Audra McDonald!!!! I am a huge fan of both of these Broadway stars. I have one of Audra McDonald's cd's--I love her voice.

A friend of mine went to New York last week and brought me back a souvenir from Grey Gardens. They were out of souvenir programs so I received a lovely small plush cat. How appropriate!

Back to John Cullum, though--I loved him as Holling Vincoeur in the tv series Northern Exposure.

Sandy K
Kyle In Hollywood

John Cullum as Oscar Jaffe in "On The Twentieth Century" is a musical highlight for me. I have never seen the show but I so enjoy the recording. Its "operatic" style is perfect for the "battles of the Divas/Divos" that constitutes this musicalized "Twentieth Century". The "duet" between Cullum and Kevin Kline is hilarious.

While the "play" got a revival a few years back, I would love to see a revival of the musical.

And one shouldn't forget John Cullum in the film version of "1776".

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
Kyle In Hollywood

Sweeny Todd is coming this Christmas!

I didnt realize it was going to be so soon.

Found a link to this article today. ('sandykaypax', I hope you aren't disappointed to be passed over yet again - this time in favor of Helena Bonham Carter. Is this the reason you've abandoned Mrs. Lovett for Mrs. Pickett Burnside as your avatar?)

http://www.playbill.com/news/print.asp?id=108247

Cut: Christopher Lee and Ghosts are Nixed from "Sweeney Todd" Film
By Ernio Hernandez
22 May 2007

Christopher Lee and a number of other characters have been cut from the upcoming "Sweeney Todd" film starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.

A DreamWorks Studios representative confirmed reports that the ghost characters — including Lee's "Gentleman Ghost," as a previous release titled his role — have been cut from the film.

The new "Gentleman Ghost" character raised many inquisitive eyebrows when Tim Burton's film cast was announced, since the stage musical does not employ such a character. Lee, speaking to London's Telegraph who broke the story, saw the bright side: "It would have been worse if I had done the scenes, but I never got to film them. It's a shame as the lyrics were wonderful, but these things happen."

The film would have marked the actor's fourth collaboration with director Burton — following his work on "Sleepy Hollow," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and, in voice, on "Corpse Bride."

The DreamWorks Studios/Warner Bros. film adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical is penned by John Logan ("The Aviator," "Gladiator"). Work is underway at London's Pinewood Studios for the film, which is slated for a Dec. 21 limited release with a wide opening on Jan. 11, 2008.

"I've always wanted to do a musical and Sweeney Todd is my favorite," said Tim Burton in the release. "Stephen's blend of humor, horror and emotion is something that has always connected with me."

Sondheim joins the director in his enthusiasm. "Sometimes a story or stage production has to wait a long time until the right people come together to turn it into a motion picture. That's what has happened with Sweeney Todd and I'm excited as well as confident that it will be a first-rate and startling movie."

Sweeney Todd follows the story of a wrongfully imprisoned barber in Victorian England who sets out to seek revenge on the judge who imprisoned him. The stage work features a score by Sondheim and a book by Hugh Wheeler based on the play by Christopher Bond.

Burton returns to his familiar casting pool with Depp (the duo have previously teamed on "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood," "Sleepy Hollow," "Corpse Bride" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") and Carter (seen in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Big Fish," "Planet of the Apes" and in voice on "Corpse Bride"). Depp takes on the title role with Carter as piemaker Mrs. Lovett.

The film will also feature Alan Rickman (Private Lives, the "Harry Potter" films) as Judge Turpin, Timothy Spall ("Harry Potter") as Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen ("Borat," "Talladega Nights") as Signor Adolfo Pirelli

Rounding out the cast are Laura Michelle Kelly (Fiddler on the Roof) as the Beggar Woman, Jamie Campbell Bowen as Anthony, Jayne Wisener as Johanna and newcomer Ed Sanders as Toby. "All the stars will do their own singing from Stephen Sondheim's music and lyrics," according to the announcement.

The production team includes director of photography Dariusz Wolski ("Pirates of the Caribbean"), production designer Dante Ferrati ("The Aviator"), costume designer Colleen Atwood ("Memoirs of a Geisha," "Chicago"), hair and make-up designer Peter Owen ("The Lord of the Rings") and editor Chris Lebenzon.

The film is produced by Richard D. Zanuck, Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and John Logan.

Sweeney Todd originally opened on Broadway in 1979 starring Len Cariou (as Sweeney) and Angela Lansbury (as Mrs. Lovett) — both earned Tony Awards for their performances. Harold Prince directed the production, which took home the 1979 Tony for Best Musical. Subsequent revivals have starred Beth Fowler and Bob Gunton (1989 on Broadway), George Hearn and Patti LuPone (2001 concert), Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski (2002 - Kennedy Center) and the recent revival with Michael Cerveris and LuPone.

The score includes such tunes as "The Worst Pies in London," "Johanna," "Pretty Women," "A Little Priest," "By the Sea" and "Not While I'm Around."
Kyle In Hollywood
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Found this on IMDb. 7 May 2007
Note: Since this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change; some data could be removed completely.

Nine (2008)

Directed by
Rob Marshall

Writing credits
(in alphabetical order)
Arthur L. Kopit book

Cast

Mike O'Dea ... Jason
Mark Goodman ... Mark
Jay Allen ... Brian
Joseph Goodheart
Kyle In Hollywood

File this under "Another Movie, Another Stageshow." -

"With the sinking of “The Pirate Queen” [a bloated amalgamation of Les Mis and Riverdance] it’s now official: The new musical “Young Frankenstein” — excuse us, “The New Mel Brooks Musical Young Frankenstein” — will open at the Hilton Theater on Broadway on Nov. 8, with previews set to begin on Oct. 11. Under the direction of Susan Stroman (who staged “The Producers”), the cast includes Roger Bart as Dr. Frankenstein as well as Megan Mullally, Sutton Foster and Shuler Hensley. “Young Frankenstein” will have its pre-Broadway tryout at the Paramount Theater in Seattle in August.

Megan Mullally as (I assume) the fiance! Cool!

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
Moraldo Rubini

Young Frankenstein

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I just thinking that Christine Ebersole would have made a great fiancee if they ever did a musical version of Young Frankenstein. Megan Mullally has a great singing voice; glad to see she'll be back on the boards. She needs to be in NY. Sutton Foster is also a charismatic actress with a beautiful set of pipes. I assume she'll be in the Teri Garr role, and I hope they beef it up for her. (What knockers? What pipes!)

It also restores my faith to see that The Pirate Queen closed so quickly. Aaargh.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I'm jealous too, Marco! There was talk of a movie version of the musical with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange attached(?) It was scheduled to be filmed in the summer of 2006(?) That was before "Grey Gardens" went to Broadway...from Off Broadway. It's kinda strange that the fabulous "home movies" of Big Edie and Little Edie are receiving so many adaptations over 30 years later!
Apparently the Barrymore/Lange Grey Gardens is back on schedule, now that HBO has become involved. It hasn't been decided (at least publicly announced) if it will receive a theatrical run before being shown on the cable station. This will be based on the documentary -- not on the Broadway musical. [Christine Ebersole, by the way, is taking the stage production to London this fall.]

In other stage/movie thoughts... I saw a production of Sweeney Todd at San Francisco American Conservatory Theatre last night, which reminded me of the upcoming Tim Burton movie. The trailers have started popping up in theatres. I wonder how bloody he'll make it? Can any of those actors sing? Alan Rickman has one of the best speaking voices in the world; I'm betting he can sing too.
benwhowell

I'll have the meat pie, please.

Post by benwhowell »

A couple of years ago I bought a horror double feature DVD (public domain movies) from Target for $1. (Actually, I bought their whole Halloween collection of horror/sci fi DVDs.) It included Hershell Gordon Lewis' "Blood Feast" and "Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street" from England, 1936. I have yet to watch either of these movies. I've read that "Sweeny Todd..." is quite low budget with an impressive Dickensian feel and an over-the-top performance from star Tod Slaughter.
BTW-what a great screen name for a horror actor...I wonder why he never saw the sucess as Karloff, Lugosi, and others saw.
Anyway, these are two movies on my Halloween list this year-finally...
Handsome Johnny Eck