AFI's 25 GREATEST MOVIE MUSICALS OF ALL TIME

Bronxgirl48

Re: AFI's 25 GREATEST MOVIE MUSICALS OF ALL TIME

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I Love Melvin, you insightfully and eloquently explain my sputtering ambivalence about FUNNY FACE so well! Yes yes yes re: Kay Thompson. Talk about a little going a long way....I think Gene Kelly might have brought the movie "down to earth" a bit more but Donen was going all out (i.e. overboard) for total chic elegance and debonair charm so Fred was the natural choice even if he did seem more like Audrey's grandfather.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

As far as I know, Kay Thompson only appeared in only two other films outside of Funny Face: one B film from Republic and a late Otto Preminger film: Tell Them That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I just looked up Kay Thompson's biography and boy was she TOO TOO! (I didn't realize she also wrote the Eloise at the Plaza book series) What a fabulous, creative, powerhouse personality and career. Boggles my mind actually.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:09 pm I just looked up Kay Thompson's biography and boy was she TOO TOO! (I didn't realize she also wrote the Eloise at the Plaza book series) What a fabulous, creative, powerhouse personality and career. Boggles my mind actually.
Yeah, she was a powerful creative force behind the scenes, sometimes a script doctor, sometimes as a musical director. In a way she was like what Bruce Vilanch is today, the go-to person for "bon mots" and special material for live appearances, etc. She was a close friend of Judy Garland in that way and carried on with Liza after Judy's death.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:57 am
skimpole wrote: May 24th, 2024, 2:38 am The last four are hard to justify and Chicago is not a great musical. Fantasia, in my view, is the indispensable Disney musical. Aladdin, Pinocchio, even Alice in Wonderland are better choices than Beauty and the Beast. Concert movies deserve to be on the list (Stop Making Sense, The Last Waltz, Woodstock.
I'll disagree with your last four statement, but that's ok. I did like Beauty and the Beast, but really don't think animated movies fit well into the movie musicals classification and concert movies would definitely not fit ... to me.
Concert movies are not musicals.
You and I are in agreement on that point, diane.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I Love Melvin wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:49 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:09 pm I just looked up Kay Thompson's biography and boy was she TOO TOO! (I didn't realize she also wrote the Eloise at the Plaza book series) What a fabulous, creative, powerhouse personality and career. Boggles my mind actually.
Yeah, she was a powerful creative force behind the scenes, sometimes a script doctor, sometimes as a musical director. In a way she was like what Bruce Vilanch is today, the go-to person for "bon mots" and special material for live appearances, etc. She was a close friend of Judy Garland in that way and carried on with Liza after Judy's death.

A real character. Carried on also (but in the physical sense) with 20 years her junior Andy Williams. Gave Sinatra vocal coaching. (I'm assuming this was strictly professional, lol)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm not a big fan of the late 1940s/early 1950s MGM musicals. They're ok, but not in my top ten, which are (at least at the moment):

Damn Yankees
Follow the Fleet
Gold Diggers of 1933

Gypsy
Li'l Abner
Marat/Sade
The Pajama Game
Show Boat
(1936)
Swing Time
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Glenda Jackson sings "The Corday Waltz"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 1st, 2024, 4:55 pm As far as I know, Kay Thompson only appeared in only two other films outside of Funny Face: one B film from Republic and a late Otto Preminger film: Tell Them That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)
The less said about Junie Moon, the better. Guess she did it as a favor to Liza.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 7:33 pm
I Love Melvin wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:49 pm

A real character. Carried on also (but in the physical sense) with 20 years her junior Andy Williams. Gave Sinatra vocal coaching. (I'm assuming this was strictly professional, lol)
Kay Thompson was Liza Minnelli's godmother.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

The character is supposed to be over the top so imo Kay was perfect casting. I love her in the film. It took a lot of negotiating to get Funny Face on the screen. Donen and the production team were based at MGM. Audrey was under contract at the time to Paramount who refused to loan her out. So Paramount wound up producing and releasing the film with the Freed unit moving over there. Fred really wanted to work with Audrey.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 8:47 am
CinemaInternational wrote: June 1st, 2024, 4:55 pm As far as I know, Kay Thompson only appeared in only two other films outside of Funny Face: one B film from Republic and a late Otto Preminger film: Tell Them That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)
The less said about Junie Moon, the better. Guess she did it as a favor to Liza.
As far as Junie Moon is concerned, as awkward as the film was at times, it had some good elements. It is certainly much better than Preminger's two films before it, Hurry Sundown and Skidoo, both of which are among the worst films I have ever seen.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Preminger was the wrong director for that type material. The script didn't help either. (I had read the book before seeing the film). In this case, the author did the screenplay. They should have hired someone else. Preminger had been on a downward slide since the early 60s. I agree there are some good parts in it. But overall a misfire compared to the book.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

Is there a reason why TCM doesn't show Damn Yankees or L'il Abner?
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

skimpole wrote: June 7th, 2024, 1:27 am Is there a reason why TCM doesn't show Damn Yankees or L'il Abner?
Li'l Abner is Paramount, so that may be part of it, but TCM has shown it. I remember discussion on the old TCM site about the print they showed; memory fails but it was some kind of work print which hadn't been yet been trimmed to the proper theatrical ratio, so you could see the light grid and other "offstage" elements in some of the shots. I don't have a clue about Damn Yankees being among the missing; it's Warner Brothers and TCM is all about Warner's these days. The same with Pajama Game, also Warner's. There was a restoration at the TCM Film Festival a couple of years back so I was all excited thinking we'd be seeing it on the channel any time now, but no dice. Prime has pan-and-scan VHS-era prints of both, but at this point in time that's a needless indignity for viewers.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think Damn Yankees and Pajama Game has something to do with broadcast rights issues. (not sure how). Both had the same music/lyrics team and I think it is linked to that. I haven't seen either film in many, many years. Just a damn shame.