THE PRODUCERS 1967

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I have heard Mel Brooks state in an interview, when asked about the appropriateness of his subject matter of this movie, that in his opinion, the best way to demonstrate your contempt for something is to make a fool of it. I think he scored points for that in The Producers. I can't think of very many secular New York Jews I know (in fact, I can't think of any) who don't find the original movie funny.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My biggest problem with The Producers is that the second half is dragging a bit and clearly does not have the intensity of the first half. I like the movie and own it, but feel it’s a bit flawed in that regard.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I enjoy THE PRODUCERS quite a bit (it and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN are by far my favorite Brooks movies; after those...eh). I agree with Mr. Ark that the 2nd half tends to drag at times, but it still has its moments. But the movie overcomes any of its flaws I might find just to hear Gene Wilder exclaim: I'm wet and hysterical!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning,

Mrsl, Mel Brooks was in no way making light of what Hitler and his henchmen did between 1933 and 1945. Instead, he was rather pointedly showing the lunacy of the entire Nazi party. As a Jew, he couldn't possibly minimize the gravity of the times. For that matter, no thinking person, regardless of religious affiliation, could ignore or dismiss the atrocities that occurred. I remember someone once saying that anger, turned on it's ear, was laughter. Remember a "little known" show on CBS named "Hogan's Heroes?" Even "Stalag 17" had its' lighter moments. And most assuredly, there was nothing funny about being a POW.

As always,

Hollis
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Another movie which makes fun of Nazis is "To Be or Not to Be." Very funny movie starring Carole Lombard and Jack Benny poked fun while the Nazis were still in power, instead of 25 years later. I'm not positive, but I think there was some controversy over the film when it was first released, for just that reason--anyone know for sure?

Anyway, some less than tasteful, but still very funny lines:

Josef Tura: (in disguise - speaking about Maria Tura) Her husband is that great, great Polish actor, Josef Tura. You've probably heard of him.
Colonel Ehrhardt: Oh, yes. As a matter of fact I saw him on the stage when I was in Warsaw once before the war.
Josef Tura: Really?
Colonel Ehrhardt: What he did to Shakespeare we are doing now to Poland.

Joseph Tura: (pretending to be the Nazi Colonel Ehrhardt) So they call me Concentration Camp Ehrhardt?

Colonel Ehrhardt:(the real one) They named a brandy after Napoleon, they made a herring out of Bismarck, and the Fuhrer is going to end up as a piece of cheese!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde