Essential Romance

moira finnie
Administrator

Essential Romance

Post by moira finnie »

Between now and Valentine's Day, I thought it might be a nice warm-up in this bleak winter to post some romantic moments from favorite films for those who enjoy a good love story. Savor a few minutes of romance in its many forms for a moment, won't you? Let's start with one of the best--and naturally, one of the most poignant. Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard directed by David Lean in a slight but potent Noel Coward story -- Brief Encounter (1945)

Please feel free to add your own suggestions:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Essential Romance

Post by movieman1957 »

A comedy called "Vivacious Lady" ranks up there as pretty romantic. Two young people (James Stewart and Ginger Rogers) battle convention, timing and his parents in a love story that is only Hollywood. Stewart and Rogers meet when he goes to town to rescue his brother. He finds, falls in love with and marries Rogers so fast it could make your head spin. They must keep their marriage a secret from his parents (Charles Coburn and Beualah Bondi) as he is a university president and there are rules that must be followed. They have a problem getting together to the point of trouble. But this is Hollywood so it ends well.

In addition to all that there is one of the great girl fights in film history. It looks like it is all on Youtube. If you haven't had a chance take 90 minutes and smile.

[youtube][/youtube]
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I have seen this little known George Stevens comedy and loved it. I particularly liked when Ginger teaches Beulah Bondi to dance! Bondi's relationship with her husband was also great fun. Rogers and Stewart dated a bit, so I suspect that they really enjoyed each other's company.
Great pick, Chris

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is a movie I always get to introduce to people who love old movies. It is little known and who knows why. My friends love it to a man or woman. They often wonder why they have never heard of it. Another fun one to show people and has its own romantic qualities is "Theodora Goes Wild." Irene Dunne and Melvyn Douglass have fun in that one.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Here's the best romance I can think of...The More the Merrier. Those hands are LETHAL!!!! (I have such a crush on Joel McCrea....)

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That scene goes beyond romance. In my opinion that is one of the sexiest scenes in movies. Lucky guy.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, I knew you would love it! I think you and I rate it as the best. :lol: :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a spendid idea for a thread. I'm reading Kate Fleming's book on her mother Celia Johnson at the moment. I love Brief Encounter more than I can express. I haven't seen Vivacious Lady but I do remember that scene in The More the Merrier.

My offering although I don't know how to embed movies from youtube is another Jean Arthur movie. History is Made at Night, pure, unmitigated, romance.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:That scene goes beyond romance. In my opinion that is one of the sexiest scenes in movies. Lucky guy.
Lucky girl! Do romance and sex have to be separate? I'm not sure.

I find this beautifully edited sequence very romantic and, if you'll pardon the expression, powerful and enthralling on every level...(the music is from Braveheart, in case you're wondering)
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:What a spendid idea for a thread. I'm reading Kate Fleming's book on her mother Celia Johnson at the moment. I love Brief Encounter more than I can express. I haven't seen Vivacious Lady but I do remember that scene in The More the Merrier.
I love that scene and Celia Johnson takes us right into her thoughts with her small, but eloquent expressions. The moment when Trevor Howard places his hand on Celia's shoulder really resonates with me. I had no idea that there was a biography of Celia Johnson available! I am going to have to order this from Amazon.uk.
charliechaplinfan wrote:My offering although I don't know how to embed movies from youtube is another Jean Arthur movie. History is Made at Night, pure, unmitigated, romance.
Unfortunately, Alison, History is Made at Night doesn't seem to be available on youtube at the moment. I'll see if I can fashion something from my copy of the movie.

Here's how to add a youtube clip on this site in a message:
1.) Copy the web address of a clip from youtube that you would like to reproduce here.

2.) Paste the web address into a message box you are writing here

3.) Highlight the web address linking to the youtube video

4.) Click on the youtube bar that appears on the top right just above the message box, right next to the one that reads Font colour

5.) After previewing your choice and message, simply click on Submit button as you normally would when posting.

I hope that helps.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira said:
Do romance and sex have to be separate? I'm not sure.

They don't have to be but they can be. I think romance can be all kinds of things that aren't physical. I may have a good example. In 1982 when I found that Carolann was the one for me I bought a journal book. In that book I wrote her letters. Anniversaries, Christmas, the birth of our children or just because I wanted to (or she wanted me to) I wrote her letters. Sometimes I would go a year others a few months but it was always to tell her much I love her. She has, on occasion, shared one or two of those with a friend.

It also contains the lyric of a song I wrote for her that I played at our wedding. (I did an awful job.)

Romance, to me, is much bigger and broader than the physical aspects of a relationship. (And at times can be just as much fun.)
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

And now, Mr. Chris, your mission--should you choose to accept it--is to go to nearby Johns Hopkins and have yourself cloned, immediately. The women of the world will thank you. Please remind Carolann that she is one lucky lady. This message--along with my heart--would break if I ever thought you were the only guy who was this thoughtful in the world. Fortunately, some private experience has taught me otherwise.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think sex impled on film can be pretty romantic, I'm sure there are some sex scenes that are romantic but they're not jumping to mind at the moment. Some of the sexiest scenes are implied.

Brief Encounter is pure romance, we know the relationship doesn't have a chance to be consummated but some of the other movies mentioned because of the code it implies that the couples are waiting until the knot is tied before indulging in the sexual side of their relationship, but I'm not sure that's just pure romance, there is often definite passion. My mind is fairly woolly and full of cotton wool at the moment so I'll have to rely on something watched fairly recently. Algiers there is a lovely scene when Hedy is reclining on a couch whilst Pepe looks worshipfully at her, they've spent time together that afternoon and from his look I don't think it's just been romance. It is a romantic moment but it's also very sexy too.

Moira the book on Celia is called Celia Johnson by Kate Fleming, it contains lots of letter written between Celia and her husband, lots of them during the war, it's a look at British life during those troubled times with Peter away in India. Celia made few films, she was devoted to her family and duty and preffered the stage, there wasn't anything remotely starry about her. She's one of my favorite actresses. There isn't a great deal in the book about Brief Encounter but what there is speaks volumes about the actress. Synnove bought it me for Christmas after we visited the Brief Encounter railway station together last year. It's a perfect present.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

You are kind to say that about me. If I were the only one I think I'd be a poor representative. I am amazed that after all these years I still find a way to make her letters new.

Carolann would like to nominate a scene from "The Quiet Man" as romantic. It is the scene after Sean and Mary kate have had their long day apart. He sits in front of the fireplace. She sits on the arm of the chair. Nothing is said but he pulls her arm around him and she lays her head on his shoulder. Sometimes words aren't needed.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Carolann would like to nominate a scene from "The Quiet Man" as romantic. It is the scene after Sean and Mary kate have had their long day apart. He sits in front of the fireplace. She sits on the arm of the chair. Nothing is said but he pulls her arm around him and she lays her head on his shoulder. Sometimes words aren't needed.
Great choice! I thought of that one too, but I haven't been able to find a good clip of that scene just yet. I hope that this will catch some of that non-verbal tenderness that flowed between Mary-Kate and Sean in The Quiet Man with a few words at the end. (The music is from The Last of the Mohicans)
[youtube][/youtube]

However, this one is among my favorites from the film..."Is that real? She couldn't be..."
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks