Drew Barrymore is 2012 co-host for The Essentials

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Drew Barrymore is 2012 co-host for The Essentials

Post by moira finnie »

I think she'd be dynamite too, Rob. Welcome to the SSO. It's great to see you here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Thanks, Moira.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She has experience.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I hope that Drew is able to do another season as the chemistry between her and Robert O is the best of all of the co-hosts. But, should life get in the way, I think Dr. Rick Jewell would make a great choice.

He's a terrific film historian, teacher and author of The RKO Story and various books on the studio system and films. He loves gangster films, westerns and knows his fair share of Hollywood lore as well as the facts.

He has done countless DVD commentaries and should never be confused with that other USC professor/DVD commentator, Drew Casper -they are as different as night and day while Drew is theatrical and verbose, Rick gets straight to the heart of the matter.

A girl can dream.....
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter wrote:I think Dr. Rick Jewell would make a great choice.

He's a terrific film historian, teacher and author of The RKO Story and various books on the studio system and films. He loves gangster films, westerns and knows his fair share of Hollywood lore as well as the facts.

He has done countless DVD commentaries and should never be confused with that other USC professor/DVD commentator, Drew Casper -they are as different as night and day while Drew is theatrical and verbose, Rick gets straight to the heart of the matter.
You are very perspective Lzcutter ... and I heard him speak in many DVD commentaries and he really knows his stuff and I for one would feel that he can easily work with Robert Osborne quite nicely. But, I hope Drew Barrymore does come back and continuing to work with Robert O.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Kingme,

A thousand years ago when I was in college, Rick Jewell was one of my professors (as was Drew Casper). We've stayed in touch all these years and I just adore him and his wife.

He was on a panel at the first TCM Film Festival and he and John Carpenter stole the show from the other panelists.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese