Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

mel,
That's entirely up to you. You may want to wait as the week progresses and see what type of information gets posted about the movies which may help you decide. You may be voting for which film you dislike least.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I set this up with its own topic and moved all the threads there. On a few of them I messed up and left a shadow topic in general chat. Unfortunately, I can't delete those without deleting the topic itself.
melwalton

best films

Post by melwalton »

I made it, Chris but it was tough. I had to omit 'The Navigator' and 'the Treasure of the Sierra Madre' and include several very reluctantly.
I'm eagerly awaiting the critique. ( 'Who, in his / her right mind would pick this one over that one? and 'You didn't like such and such, you gotta be kidding'.) Should be fun. ...... mel
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

We need YOUR votes! Yes, you. Don't be looking over your shoulder as though I'm not talking to you. If you haven't already, you need to get on over to the Choose the Best Movie forum. Under that one line you will find 32, count 'em, 32, different match-ups awaiting your vote. So, run, don't walk, on over and cast your votes for the best movies ever made. Don't say you weren't invited! And bring a date if you want!
Chris

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

What happens if, as seems to be the case between "Black narcissus" and "Out of the Past," the contest ends in a tie?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well, all of the votes are not in yet so I'm hopeful that there will be no ties. If there are, hmmmm, cyber coin flip? I'll have to come up with something. The close threads would be good ones for emphatic pleas of vote changes by impassioned speeches!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Tomorrow is the last day to cast (or change) a vote on all 32 first round match-ups. There are several match-ups that are so close that ONE vote could decide the fate of a film. You could be that vote! Your opinion matters! Please vote!
Chris

bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Don't feel bad, it looks like very few of mine are going to make it either( Ben Hur, On The Waterfront, Godfather, among others) :(
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Mere hours to go to cast a vote. After today 32 films will be leaving the party. Starting Monday they'll be 16 new match-ups to debate over.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

One hour to go to tip the scales!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

We have the results from round one as we must sadly say goodbye to 32 close friends. The results will undoubtedly infuriate some, delight others and confuse a few. But it's all in good fun and I truly appreciate and value your votes and thoughts.

The match-ups for round two:

#1 Casablanca vs. #32 Sullivan's Travels

#24 North by Northwest vs. #16 Psycho

#12 How Green Was My Valley vs. #20 It Happened One Night

#28 Duck Soup vs. #8 The Adventures of Robin Hood

#4 Singin' In THe Rain vs. #29 The Wizard of Oz

#44 Rear Window vs. #13 Sunset Boulevard

#9 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance vs. #17 All About Eve

#40 She Wore A Yellow Ribbon vs. #5 Gone With the Wind

#2 To Kill a Mockingbird vs. #31 Sunrise

#42 Double Indemnity vs. #15 Brief Encounter

#11 Treasure of the Sierra madre vs. #19 The Best Years of Our Lives

#38 The Gold Diggers of 1933 vs. #58 Laura

#3 The Searchers vs. #35 Shane

#22 Seven Samurai vs. #14 Out of the Past

#10 Night of the Hunter vs. #18 It's a Wonderful Life

#26 The Grapes of Wrath vs. #6 Citizen Kane

16 new match-ups that will take us to the great eight. Voting will start on Monday.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

This is what makes this exercise so much fun: with this new matchup, I think most of my votes will go to "the other one" that I didn't vote for last time.

Chris, you ought to copyright this idea and market it as one of those 'brain exercises' that are so popular at the moment. You'd probably have a big audience among us AARP members.

Thanks!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Chris,

Like the man once said, "The best laid plans of mice and men oft times go astray!" So many wonderful films never even made the list before the voting began! I know I'm just one vote, but to my way of thinking, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is one of the finest films ever made anywhere at any time and didn't even warrant a nomination (except I think, by me.) Not to mention that it introduced us to Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Brad Dourif (who was so convincing in "Mississippi Burning.") Ah well, so it goes. This has to be one of the best threads I've ever participated in and my hat's off to you. You deserve many thanks and all the credit we can muster!

As always,

Hollis
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Yeeouch!! this is going to be really tough...Chris, you're either a genius or a madman...or maybe a little of both... :shock:

So much fun! :lol:

Thank you, thank you, thank you (my mother thanks you, my father thanks you, etc)

ok, it's late, we're in the middle of an ice storm, and I'm just waiting for the power to go off....so guess I'm goofier than usual... :oops: :oops: