Are you the only classic movie buff in your family?

Chit-chat, current events
Bogie

Are you the only classic movie buff in your family?

Post by Bogie »

This has jumped to my mind recently. My father always laughs at me for watching old movies. In fact one morning he came and asked what I was watching and I told him the name of the movie and he shook his head. Unfortunately said movie had a title that hasn't aged well (So Big!)

It seems like i'm the only one in my family that can really get into movies from the golden age of Hollywood. So are you seemingly alone in your love of classic movies or do others in your family tolerate it/love it as much as you do?
melwalton

classic movies

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Bogie.
My wife and I watch together. We like the same movies, pretty much. We seldom watch a 'LATE' movie as I get confused as to which is who and can't follow the story very well. In the classic, I know most of the actors and can follow the story. I usually pick the movie. Jean will go along with my pick; I ask her what she'd like to see and she says, 'You pick it' so I do and she almost always likes what I pick. ...... mel
movieman

Movies... and what about Danny Kaye?

Post by movieman »

Hi, Bogie!

Yes, I'm the only classic movie buff in my family. I have a brother. He likes movies, but don't share my taste in them.
I believe he liked White Heat, though... And, he agreed that Virginia Mayo turns in a very good performance in this one.

In the early nineties some of Danny Kaye's 1940's movies was shown on a, then quite new, television channel here in Norway (TV 2). I watched them all I believe.
These were shown (as far as I can remember):

Up in Arms (1944)
Wonder Man (1945)
The Kid From Brooklyn (1946)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
A Song Is Born (1948)

"The Secret Life of..." being my favourite. It was my brothers favourite, too. But, Up in Arms was one boring movie...
Now, why can't they get these comedies out on DVD? Most of them was released some years ago, but they're not obtainable.

Just another story at the end, here.
Back in, probably, the middle of the eighties. The one TV channel we had were showing a Danny Kaye movie in color. I'd gone to bed and wasn't allowed to watch it, but I got up and stayed by the TV for some time no matter what. The movie is about a ventriloquist who gets in trouble with some criminals. I'll never forget the red car. Danny Kaye tries to escape the criminals in it, but he presses the wrong buttons and the windscreen wipers start and the "roof top thing" goes up and down.
Another scene I remember from this one is when he puts on costume and jumps into a stage play which he's not intended to be a part of.

I've later found that the movie must be Knock on Wood (1954). But, not on DVD!!!

Danny Kaye should get more respect on DVD, especially his Goldwyn productions.

Sincerely

movieman1979
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My daughter likes to watch old movies with me. My wife and son can take them or leave them but generally enjoy them.

My parents really weren't movie fans so I stumbled into this on my own.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Movieman:

In my own little corner of my own little world, I just realized you are not in this country. I don't really care where a person is from, I just read their posts, so it's always a shocker to me to learn such things. Try getting friendly with a video store owner, maybe they would order movies for you to purchase.

Bogie:

I am the only one in my family and my friends. There was one gentleman, but for some reason he seems to have fallen off the planet lately. That's mainly the reason you will find me hounding this board at all hours of the day and night, it's my only outlet since I've chosen to deny TCM message boards.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

In my family, in my circle, in my work place and sometimes I think in the world, except for places like this. :)
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

My mother was a big influence on the films I watched as a kid, so she likes the classic films as well. She grew up watching them. I have 3 older sisters and they all enjoy classic films, but I am really the only film "buff" in the family. One of my sisters is a Garbo fan, and one of them enjoys classic horror. My hubby will watch classics with me occasionally, but he really enjoys more modern films.

A dear friend of mine was the other influence on my love for classic film. He and I always talk about what we've watched on TCM.

Sandy K
inglis

movie buffs

Post by inglis »

I got my love of movies from my Mom ! I now enjoy them with my family .My daughter loves the old Disney Classic's and my son is getting into the movies that are black and white .He is awstruck when I have one of them on .I just make sure its child friendly of course . There is a movie that my Dad took me to see a long time ago called "The Railway Children "it starred Jenny Agutter.Its a beautiful story and I have been wanting to get that for Christmas for my kids to see.
vallo

Post by vallo »

I agree with you Carol. My Mom got me into Classics. They were alot more fun watching them with her. She always had a little trivia about the film and/or it's stars. Who married to who and who had an affair with whom. It just made it a little more interesting watching. Now that she has passed.I guess I'm the only one in my family who is into classic's, although my son (15) will watch if I tell him that he's missing something good. It also gives us something other to talk about besides school and his girlfriend (which he talks about constantly) I also got my landlord watching certain films and he's hooked. Which I guess I did my job. I don't preach, I just get them interested.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I am the only true classic movie buff in the house but I am slowly converting my beautiful wife to at least appreciate a portion of them.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Nah, my siblings and I were all infected at birth by our Mother, though I think I got the least diluted dose of movie passion from Mom.

That reminds me. During the upcoming holidays, my brother, sisters, and extended family usually fight over me for their Trivial Pursuit teams, due to the scary amount of movie minutiae that floats around in my skull. This year I think I'll make 'em draw straws for me. Does anyone else find this happens to them during game time?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My Dad got me into movies and my Grandparents were big fans of the theatre, so I got a pretty healthy dose from my family. My wife loves film also. I converted my brother (who never watched films) to the cause several years ago.

Incidentally, my Father will never forgive my Mom for going on a date with him to see Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and then later after they were married confessing she could not stand the film ("That was false advertising!"). My Mother also has recently spilled the fact that she hates It's a Wonderful Life (1946) because she finds the film depressing. It's nice of her to tell us now--we've been watching it as a family on Christmas Eve ever since I can remember. :roll:
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Since I am not only a classic movie fan, but a silent classic movie fan, I find there's just not that many people who care.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Jon - I've grown to love silents now also, but cannot get either my brother or sister to try watching one. Both of them like classic films, and I try to introduce the more less known titles to them, like the Powell & Pressburger films. A few years back, before Sunrise was out on DVD, I had taped several copies off of FMC and were giving them as Christmas presents. My sister never bothered to even look at it, sniff! And both of them, as well as I love the musical Phantom of the Opera, and I tried to get my brother to go with me to see the Lon Chaney version on the big screen at The Stanford with Dennis James on the Wurlitzer, no less, and he punked out on me. His loss - the theatre was packed to the gills for that show.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

moira, I am also the expert on the Entertainment questions in Trivial Pursuit, one of my FAVORITE games!

Sandy K