'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by klondike »

Hey Gang!
Weather's getting warmer, the irises are springing up, the lilacs are blooming, everybody's out "scoopin' the loop" with their sharpest rides here in BF . . . and know what . . . ?
It's time to head down to the diner for an iced coffe and a big plate of poutine!
Just keep an eye peeled for these guys:

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Love that movie!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I believe the correct answer is: "Elvis."
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wendy, who are the sailors on your avatar?
klondike

Post by klondike »

Nice try, ChiO, but the final answer is "41".
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My avatar is from They Were Expendable, and frankly, I'm not sure who the actors are.... it's a large cast with a lot of service men, and I don't want to make any mistakes in identifying them. I think one might be Danny Borzage, but that is only a guess.

I can heartily recommend this film as one of the best war pictures ever made, and one that I revisit (as a non-war movie type of gal) at least once a year if not more. It has huge depth, and I find new things in it all the time. It becomes richer every time I see it. It's about something that other war movies never even come close to touching on - attrition. Losing your comrades, whether through casualty, or through transfer, and never knowing what happened to them. It's also about "laying down the bunt for the team" over and over again, not getting the credit, and all the menial jobs that have to be done to be successful in a war effort. It's about waiting, and it's about losing the battle in order to win the war. It has some of the most splendid cinematography I've ever seen, including a lot more "faces" like the ones in my avatar.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: It's about something that other war movies never even come close to touching on - attrition. Losing your comrades, whether through casualty, or through transfer, and never knowing what happened to them.
Yup - been there, seen that.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wendy, Thanks for the answer and the recommendation.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Hi Everyone,

In the past two days, the Emerald City (Sea, WA) has been blessed with nice Summer-Like Weather. Saturday we reported a high of 75 degrees and yesterday a high of 72 degrees. No Rain! Today is pleasant & sunny :!:

Seattle Skyline Photo

Smith Tower

Pike Place Market

I go there once a month to meet friends for Breakfast and have fun too; I usually do this either Friday or Saturday.
klondike

Post by klondike »

A muggy, breathlessly oppressive evening has broken triumphantly open in a sudden, chaotic, gleeful, supernaturally well-timed cloudburst, with tingly cool rain pounding down upon steaming pavement & grateful flowerbeds, reminding me the spendthrift folly of being a preoccupied grown-up . . .
Thank you, thank you, thank you . . . . .
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

klondike, I can feel it now!
We had a ridiculous 97 degrees for days in a row...now back to a more seasonable 75 or 80. I love summer but don't like June to be unbearably hot. It is my favorite month because I can hear the birds over the stupid cicadas.

eeeeeeeeea.....eeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEa.............EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
eee...........

wait, that sounded more like the Winkie Guards.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Nan, I'm not sure what image you were trying to post here, (unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be visible), but something tells me that it may be related to the awful heat that the central and southwest regions in America are enduring now. Please stay cool, drink water, and lather on the sunblock! We have been in the 70s and 80s this last week but almost no humidity. After a soggy Spring, we now have an exceptionally dry Summer. Praying for rain!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

funny, it shows up on my screen.

It's 2 ears of corn, one popped and one not popped. NP says, "Hot enough for you?" and the Popped one says "shut up!"

I wish I could send you some of our humidity. It's like walking thru water. Oh, well, at least I don't have to SHOVEL it....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha!

Is it a bad corn year? When we were in Iowa recently we were surprised that the corn wasn't higher.