'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:white gloves or black?
White gloves before Memorial Day??????

Honestly, Knitty, darling. I won't be at all surprised if you'll be wearing seamless stockings with your cocktail dress!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Will this do?
When in the Ritz' bar in Paris...anything goes!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Wendy - I can't remember what state you're in, but...we snuck in another almost 70 degree day! That storm is supposed to sweep across North of St. Louis straight up to Chicago...and, believe it or not, totally miss me! We are anticipated to stay in the mid 50s and nasty rain. But you never know about those wird fronts.

Nancy and Ro - I can't believe what you're getting out there and, Ro, hope the little one is better.

Meet Judith and I and I promise I'll warm you up clear to the middle. (Can I take a cab all the way from here?)
pm me a day and I time. Actually, I'm trying to win a make-over trip to NYC so don't make any promises you don't want to keep! (Don't worry - I don't have that great of luck!)

My avatar is a very young Alice Brady from her silent days. Actually those aren't my favorites of hers; she usually shows up in the 30s as a flighty, richy type as in The Gay Divorcee, Hortense: "Let's see, what last name did I have then?" or the 5th Avenue battle-axe, as in My Man Godfrey, as Angelica. "Mrs. Bullock. She's the mother type." But I love the wistful look she has in this picture and I can just hear her giggle.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Well.. we have at least 7 inches of snow out there now, I'd say. OH GOLLY what a lovely white MESS. I doubt it will stay around as long as the LAST snow we had... so at least that is some consolation.

And thanks folks.. for your well wishes. I think the kidling is over the worst of it now. (I hope so, anyway) She did end up w/ a fever late this afternoon.. but it came back down w/ Tylenol.. and so far it has stayed down (along w/ the fluids and the VERY light food she ate... soup and crackers mostly. So far.. so good)

Oh.. and PS Jackie.. thanks for the tip on the Oxy.. I have never tried that.. but I am going to try the hydrogen peroxide solution I found online because so far nothing else I have tried has even budged it much. And if that doesn't finally do it, I may go buy what you suggested. And then after that, we are going to be down to just putting a throw rug over it all to cover it up. (At least until I can maybe see about a rug shampoo machine.) It is right in front of her bed.. so at least the rug won't look out of place... ha. She really did a JOB redecorating that place last night...her carpet is SO light in that room... so of course it all stands out SO much) ha. Boy.. when my kid does something.. she goes all out!! ha. :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Birdy - I should have known it was Alice Brady, I've even seen that photo before. And you are right about the wistful look on her face, it's beautiful.

I was about THIS close to bidding on a cigarette case last year, it was given to Alice Brady by Alice Faye - inscribed "To Alice from Alice" in lovely free form cursive, but I wasn't able to get my bid in properly, something to do with cookies I imagine. I love Alice Brady in My Man Godfrey - It's probably my favorite movie. These character actresses led such in - ter - esting lives before they came to the movies... I love doing research on them.

Oh yeah, I am in Connecticut. One more beautiful day and then Whammy!we get hit again....

Ro - I am so glad the kidling is better, or at least you have it under control. It's terrible when they are up in the middle of the night. I find it rather frightening, but I only have one child, and she was sick when she was a baby so I probably lean toward over-protective. I try to curb it in myself, but usually inside my head I am a basket case while remaining calm and relaxed on the outside.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Wendy,
Alice is one of my favorite character actors. She always get to wear fabulous clothes, even though her figure isn't perfect. That lighter sounded really cool - too bad you missed out. Do you have other interesting artifacts from old Hollywood?
B

Oh, on the weather: cold, rainy and blustery. Eyeore - hold onto your tail!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have no other artifacts, except for a lot of photos of Ben Johnson and some of his autographs. Most of the things I find I give away to friends and family - I found a really cool ring once that belonged to writer Clemence Dane - (she wrote the script for A Bill of Divorcement)but I gave it to my sister, who is a writer and film historian.

The Heritage auction site had a couple of bracelets belonging to Brady, too - each bracelet had several charms, each with a name of one of her movies on it. I would have killed to get one of them, but again, I thought I was placing a bid, but it didn't go through for some reason. Right now, they have Jimmy Cagney's suit from Yankee Doodle Dandy on auction for 10 000 dollars starting bid.... but really its a little too weird to own clothes I think. I also wonder what is going on in their minds, because they have an original energizer bunny up for 10,000 dollars as well... now REALLY. Which is more valuable?

Also, I suddenly realized last year that when you look on the auction sites, someone probably died and left the stuff, so it kind of freaks me out - last year it was all Ernie Kovacs stuff because Edie Adams passed away right before.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

A sunny 82 degrees here in the Heartland. And why am in inside writing this? Stuck at work til 7 p.m.
Sigh. Maybe I'll need to sneak out and escape for some reason.
Hope you are all having wonderful weather.
B
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The clouds are finally gone, and it's a beautiful spring day at last. It should be a nice weekend here in NYC, and the tourists are just swarming in. Even so, it's pretty quiet in the City, since Passover and Easter weeks are concommitant this year, and schools are closed.

The wonderful callery pear trees are blooming, and I think they are the most lovely sight of the New York City spring, with their graceful branches and white blossoms. Just about all of the spring flowers are up, and every tree is leafing, what with all the rain we've been having. Unfortunately, this early plant growth presages a difficult summer for allergy sufferers (myself included).
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1,
I wish I was in NYC, sounds great. Its about 80 here today and clear. Its about time for me its to pick up some bread & milk. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am so glad the rain is gone! This was a section of my town day before yesterday and yesterday. Luckily, our house was not flooded at all. The luck of the draw.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Good heavens Wendy, with all the attention your surrounding states are getting you'd never know your part was hit as hard as it has been. So glad you are safe.

If this isn't bad enough the Flood Insurance Program was not renewed by Congress before it recessed. I don't know if it affects claims but it has stalled writing policies and issuing renewals and such until almost mid April.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I did not know that, Chris! I guess we were doubly lucky, then.

Most of my friends actually were spared except for a little water in the basement, though I know one person who had 18 inches of water, and my husband has someone at work who ended up with 4 feet of water in their house. It's really awful for many folks. The worst hit part of our area is a very poor part of the community in Groton... I don't know how those people will get back on their feet. Here in the wealthy area where we live, things get taken care of quickly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we less well off folks benefit from living on the periphery of the historic district.

We live on a half mile long hillside, about halfway down, and we are lucky to have had the storm drains on our street cleaned out within the last couple months. We had a very hard rain back then and the drain across from our house clogged somewhere deep inside it. At that time, we ended up with a drenching as the water rolled out of the woods like a waterfall, over the top of the storm drain, across the street, over the curb, down our driveway and when it hit the garage, flowed around the corner fast and under the basement door. Thank goodness the town came and cleaned out the mess in that drain before this downpour.

On Monday and Tuesday, we got really nervous as the rain kept pouring down, but everything worked this time, and most of the water from the flooding flowed into the drain and the rest washed down the cement gutter my husband made in front of the garage. It flowed past the house and on down the hill. It's kind of scary when mother nature creates a brand new waterfall in front of your house, and a lake behind it, but thank goodness we were prepared this time.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

86 degrees and sunny here - one of the warmest Aprils on record.
Last year it snowed the first week of April and the second week was 50 degrees and bone chilling rain. This is the kind of spring I like! The flowering trees and spring bulbs were just fabulous this year and the stupid asian beetles seemed to have died out.
WOO HOO
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I wish you continued good weather! Here in CT. it dropped from 68 and sunny for the last couple of weeks to 48 degrees and cloudy today. Ugh. It's supposed to stay at about 50 all week, maybe longer. sigh.